I Only Post Everything
1128 posts

Re: Anyone else using PPPoe?

Jul 21, 2012

potatobreath wrote:
That's not just a modem. That's a modem+router combo. Sometimes they're called gateways. I'll have to investigate tomorrow to see if there are any settings you can adjust.

You can experiment yourself. The owner's manual can be downloaded:
http://download.comtrend.com/CT5361T_A3.3.pdf

I also have a FAQ that got mangled with the transition to the new forum. You can try it if you have any questions.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/PlayStation-3-Networking-and-Conn...

Kudo's for your effort potatobreath, it is much appreciated. I will use the links; and thanks for your help.

I guess there are'nt too many people using PPPoe, lol.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 15 (177 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 21, 2012
Before changing settings, familiarize yourself with the reset on the gateway in case you mess up a setting and need everything back the way it was before.

Unfortunately, the manual is poorly written. You want to follow the instructions for Manual Quick Setup in the manual. You don't want PPPoA, PPPoE, MER or IP over ATM. You want Bridging.

Once bridging is set up, the gateway merely passes your ISP's connection to the PS3 without touching it.

Do you have any other computers set up for internet access? I wonder if Bridging is the best option for you.
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 15 (172 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1128 posts

Jul 21, 2012

I recently tried bridging my connection with my ISP's assistance, and it worked, but our 2 PC's kept getting knocked off the internet for some reason. We had to reset the modem, which returned everything back to normal. (and nat 2)

We have 2 ps3's, 2 PC'S, (all 4 wired connection) and a Wii thats connected wirelessly. (but only online with the Wii very rarely)

I also have a bravia smart tv using a wireless connection. Thats all the devices on my network.

Forgot to mention this - The sony rep I spoke with said if a modem/ router has both wireless and wired capabilities then NAT 1 is unobtainable. Is that true??

They also said the firmware update 4.20 had nothing to do with my PPPoe problem; but thats exactly when my problem started.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 15 (169 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 22, 2012
Your internet service provider only offers you one or two public IP address that the rest of the world uses to reach you. A home router's job is to share a single public IP address with all of your devices on the home network. That's what NAT Type 2 means.

It's not a firmware 4.20 problem. Your router is setting up a PPPoE connection for you. Doing it a second time on the PS3 will just give you a non-working connection.

My recommendation is to bridge your connection again, but go out and buy your own router of choice. With a good router backed by regular software updates, you'll get working UPnP to let your PS3 and your computers to accept connections from other people across the internet as needed. NAT Type 2 and UPnP enabled is an optimal connection.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 15 (166 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1128 posts

Jul 23, 2012

Thank you for the advice. I wont go with the bridging option because it knocks our PC's offline intermittenly, but I will call my ISP and have them enable UPnP. They did that right before we tried the bridging thing, but I see now UPnP is unavailabe. (cause I reset modem to get rid of bridging)

I am calling them right now in fact. Thank you so much for your time; I greatly appreciate your help.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 15 (161 Views)
0 Likes