Highlighted
Jul 20 2012
By: jayistheway I Only Post Everything 1131 posts

Anyone else using PPPoe?

[ Edited ]
14 replies 2307 views Edited Jul 20, 2012

For a year now I have been NAT type 1 by using PPPoe. ( point to point protocol over ethernet )

I have DSL, and when I first got DSL I was issued a username and password. So I simply went into my ps3's network settings and put my DSL user name and password in the PPPoe settings and that gave me a very stable connection, and NAT type 1. Online gaming was so much better.

For some reason this no longer works; and I just wanted to know if any one else is experiencing problems with PPPoe. It simply cannot obtain an ip address anymore.

I called my ISP and they swear it is not on thier end.

Any advice? This started right after the last firmware update. Any help/ advice would be much appreciated!

Message 1 of 15 (2,307 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Anyone else using PPPoe?

Jul 20, 2012
Is your PS3 connected straight to the DSL modem?
Do you have a router in the way?
Message 2 of 15 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Jul 20, 2012

Yes, ps3 is wired directly to DSL modem. Nothing has changed for over a year. Ever since that latest firmware update PPPoe no longer works.

As far as a router, I never had to get one. My isp says its somehow on sony's end.

Message 3 of 15 (2,303 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jul 20, 2012
Sometimes the ISP pushes firmware updates and setting changes through their network. Your modem might not have the same settings anymore that let you use your PS3 as a PPPoE client.

What brand and model of modem do you have? Maybe it is performing routing function now.

What's your NAT Type and UPnP status?
Message 4 of 15 (2,294 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Jul 20, 2012

Now I am NAT type 2, and UPNP is unavailable.

My ISP gave me a new modem to try and fix the PPPoe problems but no luck.

Its a Comtrend modem that my ISP gives everyone, and I cant alter anything on it.

Also, even when I was NAT 1 with successful PPPoe integration my UPNP was unavailable. My ISP said that Nat type 1 was great and I no longer needed UPNP enabled.

Then one day I called and had them enable UPNP but that didnt do anything; I mean I still couldnt use PPPoe and my NAT is still type 2.

So I reset the modem under thier order and I am now NAT 2 and UPNP unavailable.

I guess I will call sony and pick thier ear. Thanks for the input potatobreath. I will post back what sony rep's say.

Message 5 of 15 (2,293 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 20, 2012

You don't need UPnP with NAT Type 1. NAT Type 1 means you're getting a direct connection to the internet with no home router in the way. UPnP provides automatic port forwarding to cross home routers to accept connections from the internet. No home router, no need for port forwarding or DMZ or UPnP.

I don't think PPPoE will do very much if you're at NAT Type 2. NAT Type 2 means there's a router between your PS3 and the internet connection already. Maybe your modem has routing function turned on to provide a layer of security.

Which Internet Service Provider are you using?

Message 6 of 15 (2,290 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Jul 20, 2012

The PPPoe settings is what gave me NAT type 1. It was the most stable connection I have ever experienced. I could host games with no problem and with no lag.(I have a 5mb download speed)

I use midtel. (located in middleburg, ny) I live up in the mountains in upstate NY. A few miles down the road there is no ISP, lol.

I miss my NAT type 1!!! I just got off the phone with sony and the lady said NAT 2 is better, but its not better than NAT 1.

She says its on my ISP's end..... and my ISP says its on sony's end. Smiley Mad

She also said maybe put the ps3 in the dmz, but I am not going to do that.

I used PPPoe for over a year, but I guess now I have to live with NAT 2. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 15 (2,286 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jul 21, 2012
NAT 2 is better than NAT 1 from a security point of view.

But what exact model of modem are you using? Maybe there are settings that can be changed to disable routing on it and provide you a straight-through connection again. Look at the sticker underneath the unit if you have trouble finding a model number.
Message 8 of 15 (2,281 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2012

Comtrend, model # CT - 5361T. (just a modem, but has 4 ethernet ports in the back and wireless also, which is enabled)

My ISP never mentioned any settings on the modem though; that I could change or they could change. (my ISP calls this a modem)

Also, when they enabled my UPNP; to try to fix the problem, they said they restarted they're 'router'....

So I guess my ps3 goes to the modem, then they're router (at midtel), then to the internet?

I so appreciate your time potatobreath!!

Message 9 of 15 (2,279 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jul 21, 2012
That's not just a modem. That's a modem+router combo. Sometimes they're called gateways. I'll have to investigate tomorrow to see if there are any settings you can adjust.

You can experiment yourself. The owner's manual can be downloaded:
http://download.comtrend.com/CT5361T_A3.3.pdf

I also have a FAQ that got mangled with the transition to the new forum. You can try it if you have any questions.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/PlayStation-3-Networking-and-Conn...
Message 10 of 15 (2,271 Views)