Dec 04 2013
By: Corwal12 First Son 5 posts

An alternative way to download purchased ps4 games off psn without an internet connection?

9 replies 428 views Edited Dec 4, 2013

I have a PS4, but live in an area without access to wifi. I want psn games like Resogun and Contrast. Is there any way, once purchased, to transfer these games to my offline PS4 i.e. a USB drive? Or any other method? Or am I completely out of luck? Thanks.

Message 1 of 10 (428 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15350 posts

Re: An alternative way to download purchased ps4 games off psn without an internet connection?

Dec 4, 2013

That would be "out of luck".  Sorry.  There is no way to download to and install from a USB drive.

Any chance of using a cell phone as a WIFI hotspot?

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 2 of 10 (422 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: An alternative way to download purchased ps4 games off psn without an internet connection?

Dec 4, 2013

I have a phone with the Playstation App, and can buy the psn games on it, but I still don't know how to get them on my offline PS4.

Message 3 of 10 (420 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15350 posts

Dec 4, 2013

Let's try again.

In order to download and install digital games on your PS4 it MUST be connected somehow to the Internet.  No exceptions.

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct

Message 4 of 10 (406 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 4, 2013
You mentioned using my phone as a hotspot. How can I use it to connect my PS4 to the Playstation Network?
Message 5 of 10 (404 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15350 posts

Dec 4, 2013

Some smartphones, like Blackberrys and iPhones have the option to act as a mobile hotspot.  There are likely other smartphone models, those are the two with which I have some experience.  Check on your phone.

In the settings/options you turn on "Mobile Hotpost" and set a password.  Then, on your console you perform the WIFI setup and scan for the SSID broadcast by your phone (it looks just like a router), enter the password and you connect.

Be warned that any activity will eat into your data plan, and digital downloads can be very big.  You risk running up a large cell phone bill if your data plan isn't big enough.

”Signature-1.jpg”

Message 6 of 10 (400 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 4, 2013
I will try that out. I have an IPhone and I noticed it does have the hotspot option. One last question: I've noticed my data usage on my phone isn't affected from midnight to a certain time around 6. If I use my phone around that time to connect and download on my PS4 would that save my data usage? Thank you for your help.
Message 7 of 10 (398 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15350 posts

Dec 4, 2013

Corwal12 wrote:
I will try that out. I have an IPhone and I noticed it does have the hotspot option. One last question: I've noticed my data usage on my phone isn't affected from midnight to a certain time around 6. If I use my phone around that time to connect and download on my PS4 would that save my data usage? Thank you for your help.

No idea.  Depends on your service provider, so I'd call them if I were you and ask (rather than getting hit with a big surprise bill).  It may be that they don't update your stats during that time.  My provider counts every single byte I use on my iPhone!

”Signature-1.jpg”

Message 8 of 10 (396 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks! You helped me out a lot.
Message 9 of 10 (394 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
15350 posts

Dec 4, 2013

Corwal12 wrote:
Thanks! You helped me out a lot.

Very welcome, hope it works out for you.

”Signature-1.jpg”

Message 10 of 10 (391 Views)
0 Likes