Highlighted
Jan 11 2011
By: AniimaI First Son 3 posts

Alternate MAC address?

6 replies 1432 views Edited Jan 11, 2011

Hello,

I'm currently at university, and the only way to connect to game systems online is to enter in a specific alternate MAC address that is given out to students. After looking at the Internet Settings and such on my PS3 there doesn't seem to be any place where I could enter this information, yet there's a whole section dedicated to it for when I use, say, my Xbox. I was just wondering if perhaps there is an area where I could indeed enter in the alternate MAC address provided by the university so that I can play online? (Yes, I am plenty aware that it's simple to just buy a router; however being a student I really do not have the money to spend on one at the time).

Thank you for your support!

Message 1 of 7 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Alternate MAC address?

Jan 11, 2011

There isn't a way to spoof the PS3's MAC address. Are you sure that's how your university does things? It's a bit bizarre. Can you supply the university IT department your PS3's MAC address instead?

Routers are dirt cheap on Craigslist if you just need something basic and wired.

Message 2 of 7 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 11, 2011

It's not necessarily spoofing it; there's just a place to enter this thing called an "alternate MAC address" on my Xbox in order for it to connect to the internet properly; however it doesn't change the MAC address of the system. There's just nowhere for me to enter this specific "alternate MAC address" on my PS3, so my internet is just denying the connection to my PS3. And no, unfortunately the IT department is notorious for leaving people on their own in situations regarding game consoles.

Message 3 of 7 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 11, 2011

Substituting a MAC address is called spoofing. There's no way to do this on a PS3, so you'll need a router. If you get a router, then remember to download the latest firmware. Put the PS3 into the DMZ too so the router doesn't restrict your connections on the university network.

Message 4 of 7 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 12, 2011

I actually figured out a way to connect without having to use a router, so I guess it's all good!

Thank you for your help!

Message 5 of 7 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

last month
What did you do thanks?!
Message 6 of 7 (111 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
16978 posts

last month

@SPEED6

You replied to a FIVE year old thread.  Not likely the original posters will reply to you.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear ** ** two-step verification - use it **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 7 of 7 (105 Views)
0 Likes