May 25 2013
By: Lfcamara94 First Son 11 posts

Activated accounts

8 replies 223 views Edited May 25, 2013

Hello there I have a problem , I went to Sony entertainment network website to deactivate all the accounts on ps3 about a month ago, I tried to activate my account on my new ps3 but it says that there are 4 playstation activated, i don't know what to do? i need to activate my account to download games and demos

Message 1 of 9 (223 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
30118 posts

Re: Activated accounts

May 25, 2013

That can't be correct.  If you deactivated all of the consoles on your account a month ago, then there can't be more than two PS3s activated under it, because that is the limit now.  You could have 4 consoles activated overall, but half of them would have to be PSPs or Vitas.  If it says that you have 4 PS3s activated, then you didn't complete the Deactivate All process a month ago, even though you may think that you did.

GKP
Message 2 of 9 (211 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7219 posts

May 27, 2013

According to Sony, content from before the change still works for 5 systems, not 2.

Did you have your PS3 on other systems with the password saved?  Or did you give other people your password?  The PS3s could be reactivated as long as someone has your password (so you may want to change it).  It's also possible that you didn't actually deactivate the systems - try doing it again.  You can also see there what PS3s are active; perhaps you will recognize them, and that may help.

Message 3 of 9 (200 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
30118 posts

May 28, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

According to Sony, content from before the change still works for 5 systems, not 2.

That's not correct.  Content isn't activated.  Only consoles are.  PSN doesn't track activations by content, so it can't grandfather content. You can download all of your content to any of your activated consoles.  You can download none of your content to a console that is not activated.  It is as simple as that, and applies to all content.

If you had more than two PS3 or PSP consoles activated on November 18th, 2011; then all of the consoles remained activated, even though the limit was reduced to two.  However, you can't activate any additional consoles until you deactivate all but one of the ones that you already have activated.  Once you deactivate a console, it is no longer grandfathered; so you can't activate it again unless you have less than two consoles currently activated. If you use the Deactivate All function on the SEN web site, then you lose all grandfathering, and the two console limit would apply for all subsequent activations. The system is designed to work all accounts down to the two console limit over time.

GKP
Message 4 of 9 (182 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7219 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

Well I've never had a reason to try it out myself, but if that's accurate, I'm surprised there weren't more complaints - not about the activation limit itself, but about old content becoming limited to 2 systems as well (unless you already had more than 2).  Their statements at the time made it seem that old content would still be usable on 5 systems:

"For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

• PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.
  • PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

Please note that this update will not affect game content purchased before November 18."

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/04/upcoming-change-to-playstation-3-and-psp-game-content-on-...

What does that mean for someone who already had, say 3, systems activated?  They get old games on 3 systems but for new ones they have to pick 2 of them?  That doesn't seem to fit your statement, "Content isn't activated.  Only consoles are," but I don't see how else it could be done.  It was my understanding that the newer content simply wouldn't work on any systems activated after the first two, but the older content still would.

Message 5 of 9 (179 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

May 28, 2013

I don't know if this will clarify or convolute but here goes:

I have two PS3s. My nephew has one. My brother-in-law has one. I've shared things between all of them before the cut off date by signing in with my account and downloading what I wanted to give them. (activating their PS3s with my account). Since Sony changed the limit I used the deactivate all option on the website. I then reactivated my 2 PS3s. I did not reactivate my account on my nephew's or brother-in-law's system. They are still able to play the games I gave them before the new activation rules took effect.

Message 6 of 9 (169 Views)
MVP Support
30118 posts

May 28, 2013

That is because the other PS3s don't know that they have been deactivated, so the content still works.  There is a reason that you are only allowed to use Deactivate All once in a six month period.  The online deactivation process can't delete the license files from the deactivated consoles, so all of the content that was downloaded to them continues to work.  If you could use Deactivate All whenever you wanted to, then you could share your Playstation Store purchases with an unlimited number of consoles, by just using Deactivate All after you installed it on each one.  It isn't an exception to the 2 console limit.  It is a technical limitation of the online deactivation process, which the six month cool-down compensates for.

GKP
Message 7 of 9 (165 Views)
MVP Support
7219 posts

May 28, 2013

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of that.  If you hadn't deactivated their systems, that would be what I'd expect, but it's odd that it stil seems to work for them.  Was anything of yours downloaded on those systems since the change, and did it work?

Message 8 of 9 (163 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

May 28, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of that.  If you hadn't deactivated their systems, that would be what I'd expect, but it's odd that it stil seems to work for them.  Was anything of yours downloaded on those systems since the change, and did it work?

No since the change I haven't downloaded anything on their systems.

Message 9 of 9 (159 Views)
0 Likes