Mar 06 2013
By: GespenstKAF First Son 20 posts
Accepted Solution

Accused of Impersonating an SCEA representative.

7 replies 586 views Edited Mar 6, 2013

At 1:00 PM today, I received an email from the Playstation Network informing me that I have "been observed violating the Playstation Network's ToS" with the reason being "Impersonating a SCEA representative".

I have, to my knowledge, done nothing that would make anyone think I am anything more than just another PSN user, other than using proper grammar and actually being able to use entire words when communicating on Playstation Home. If this is about my username, I'm pretty sure that no one other than myself uses "GespenstKAF", seeing as the KAF pertains solely to myself.

I would like to know why I have been accused of something so callous.

Message 1 of 8 (586 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Re: Accused of Impersonating an SCEA representative.

Mar 6, 2013

Oh, no. Wait: I think I understand what this is about. I didn't realize that the club name was going to be that much of a problem. I am sincerely sorry that it was taken that wrong.

To think that wanting to bring back some of the stuff from Home prior to the big update would result in this. That would explain why HomeRA is no longer. To be fair, "Home Restoration Association" was too long to remember.

I get it now. Sorry about that.

Message 2 of 8 (581 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28800 posts

Mar 6, 2013

Playstation Home is monitored by Home Moderators, who are Sony employees.  They have the ability to make their avatars invisible, so one of them was probably standing close by when you were having a conversation with someone.  You would not necessarily know that one was there. They also have access to all of the chat logs in home, both local, group, and private.  If they say that you stepped over the line, then you will just have to accept that.  You won't receive any further explanation, and while the moderators are not infallible (being human), there is no appeals process for suspensions.  It is just a gaming network, not a court of law. Mistakes are rare, as the moderators act only on things that they personally can verify; either by examining the logs, or because they observed it themselves.  The Home community volunteers in the Home support forum can give you some guidance on what types of statements can lead to a suspension, but I doubt that it was because of your Online ID, which means nothing in English.  If Sony objected to your Online ID, then your account would have been permanently locked.

GKP
Message 3 of 8 (580 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Mar 6, 2013

I am curious as to what warranted this, so I can make sure not to have it happen again. I'm rather paranoid when it comes to keeping what I have, and I've spent too much time and money on this account to risk losing it.

If it means becoming an extreme introvert, I'll do it.

Message 4 of 8 (578 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55067 posts

Mar 6, 2013

GespenstKAF wrote:

At 1:00 PM today, I received an email from the Playstation Network informing me that I have "been observed violating the Playstation Network's ToS" with the reason being "Impersonating a SCEA representative".

I have, to my knowledge, done nothing that would make anyone think I am anything more than just another PSN user, other than using proper grammar and actually being able to use entire words when communicating on Playstation Home. If this is about my username, I'm pretty sure that no one other than myself uses "GespenstKAF", seeing as the KAF pertains solely to myself.

I would like to know why I have been accused of something so callous.

Respond to the email and ask for more specifics. 

Just say:

Hello,

I received an email warning mentioning that I was impersonating a sony employee.  I don't believe I did this.  Can you please point out to me what specific behaviors I performed to receive this warning so I can correct my behavior.

Sincerely,

Message 5 of 8 (569 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Mar 6, 2013

The email stated to be from a send-only address and not to reply. It provided a link to this site, however.

Message 6 of 8 (565 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55067 posts

Mar 6, 2013

GespenstKAF wrote:

The email stated to be from a send-only address and not to reply. It provided a link to this site, however.

Ah I see your issue.  My only advice is to use the live chat or other contact options in this link and try and ask what you specifically did if you truly aren't already sure  http://us.playstation.com/support/contact_options/index.htm

Message 7 of 8 (561 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Mar 6, 2013

I think I already know what the problem was: I was in a club titled "HomeRA" (which was shortened from "Home Restoration Association", so it'd be easier to remember). I tended to have it set to appear under my Online ID while I was on Home.

Last night, I noticed that the club had been disbanded, and that the club leader, whom I was friends with, no longer appeared on my friends list. At first, I figured that I had done something to make her mad at me, causing her to unfriend me and eject me from the club. I took it in stride, seeing as these kinds of things probably happen often.

However, not too long after posting this topic did I think more carefully about what I had been accused of and realize that, for some people, I possibly COULD have been mistaken for impersonating a Sony employee, what with having "Home" floating under my name and all.

So yeah, I think I figured it out, and won't be thinking about doing it again.

Message 8 of 8 (557 Views)
0 Likes