Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: A certain friend and I cannot connect to each other? PC games work, but not ps3

Feb 13, 2012

No, the router's probably not messing up his modem. Are you able to play with all other players on Modern Warfare successfully, but not with your friend who's using the same ISP? Is he able to freely play Modern Warfare games with the rest of the world?

I noticed you've posted over in the GameFAQs boards about your connection a few months ago. Are you able to take your PS3 to your grandfather's house and test from there? See if you can connect to your friend.

Message 21 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Re: A certain friend and I cannot connect to each other? PC games work, but not ps3

Feb 13, 2012

Yes. We can both play with others, friends AND public matchmaking.

The problem with testing at my grandfathers house is that my friend has a busy life and can only play kinda late at night, after 9:00PM, my grandfather goes to bed kind of early. It would be difficult to take a ps3 to his house at the same time my friend is on. But that is a good idea and i will try to work something like that out.

I had a thought, most games like call of duty and uncharted use peer to peer connection like LBP right? I believe burnout has dedicated servers. Could this be why burnout works and other games don't? Could something be blocking us from establishing a connection to each other? 

Message 22 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 13, 2012

wvnative wrote:

I had a thought, most games like call of duty and uncharted use peer to peer connection like LBP right? I believe burnout has dedicated servers. Could this be why burnout works and other games don't? Could something be blocking us from establishing a connection to each other?

Yes, I was thinking about that too. I was going to suggest testing with your Steam game, but I wasn't sure if it was dedicated client-server or peer to peer. Got Left 4 Dead or any other PC game that lets you choose between dedicated servers or peer to peer?

Message 23 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 13, 2012

The problem is, we don't have any of the same PC games. We just downloaded Alien Swarm because it was free to test the PC. Is there a way to know for certain if a game is peer to peer? Alien Swarm SEEMED to work like call of duty, but i dunno...

Some good news, are there any settings on the MODEM I could play with? I just found a set up disc that came with the modem, so I can directly access it's settings now.

Message 24 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 13, 2012

I hope the manual I'm reading covers the same settings that you're seeing.

Look under Connection Status > WAN Connection. Take screenshots and trim them down in MS Paint. Then upload them in this thread or by private message.

Message 25 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 13, 2012

Okay give me time, all my network equipment is stuffed behind our sofa and it's a bit tight. Gotta crawl back there and get the cord for the laptop. Wi fi be gods greatest gift to mankind

Message 26 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 13, 2012

Sorry I havent gotten em yet, my modems default IP address didn't work, so now I have no clue how to get in. BUT, I did something, I reset my modem by pressing the reset button on the back. Since I did that, google is now reports my IP address as

Maybe this new IP address will fix it? We're gonna try it in a few hours.

Message 27 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 14, 2012

GREAT NEWS! I was able to play with him last night. But we still  have a minor problem...

We can only play wirelessly, it doesn't work via modem. So I guess there's something iffy with my modem? I'd like to try to fix it since I get double the speed with the modem. Any idea how to access it's settings without the ip address since it doesn't work?

Message 28 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Which speed is halved when you connect through wireless? The internet connection test bandwidth results? Actual downloads from the PlayStation Store? If it's the former, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your online gameplay and game downloads from the PlayStation Store are unplayable and sluggish, then you might have a problem.

Not being able to login to the modem might be a good sign. It may mean the modem's passing a straight-through connection. Your ISP might have locked the modem too to prevent tampering, with their settings automatically uploaded to the modem.

Message 29 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Looks like I can close this topic now, my speed halves for both bandwidth and PSN downloads, but i have found a work around. Wiring to the wi fi router works, and gives me modem speeds, AND others in my house can still use wi fi. So all is well again. LOL, all this trouble, and all i needed to do was hit the reset button lol.

But just so i dont look like a total goof, I DID try unplugging everything for two minutes, that didn't work. But the reset button did. Guess i dont need the switchbox anymore....

Even though i accedently fixed it myself, i really appreciate all the help and effort you gave me, you will not be forgotten ^^

Peace, until the next PSN issue lol.

Message 30 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes