Splicer
67 posts

Re: A certain friend and I cannot connect to each other? PC games work, but not ps3

Feb 10, 2012

I really appreciate you at least trying to help, thanks man!

Message 11 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: A certain friend and I cannot connect to each other? PC games work, but not ps3

Feb 10, 2012

When you game through your PC, is your PC connected through the modem or through your Linksys router?

Message 12 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 10, 2012

linksys router. But we just tried a free steam game, we don't normally game on pc because it ain't the same.

Message 13 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 10, 2012

What happens if you connect through your Linksys router instead of directly through the modem? Are you able to play with your friend? What does NAT Type and UPnP status say in the PS3 Internet Connection Test through your Linksys router?

Message 14 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 10, 2012

Nat type 2, UPnP Avaliable

In our efforts to fix it, we've both been switching back and forth between modem and router. Won't work either way

Message 15 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 11, 2012

Are the two of you using the same ISP?

Message 16 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Feb 11, 2012

Well, you should probably call up your isp and ask them to confirm which MAC address is acting as your primary and write that information down, and are you clone-ing the right MAC address to your router?

Normally when you get the modem from the isp they tell you to hook it up to the internet, and pull up the MAC address that is received when you connect your computer (and use those characters/digits as the number you should enter for your router to use to access the internet), or they may just use the modems MAC address in which case your home computer is not in charge and you need to enter this set of characters/digits in the router to allow it to access the internet.  At the same time, your ps3 may be acting as your primary device and the problem stems from the fact that parts of your system are trying to use the ps3 as the MAC address while the isp's system is expecting their modem's MAC.

This is an over simplification of the process but provides enough of gist to help you find the correct information.

color tag 001

Message 17 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 11, 2012

I'll call my ISP for that info later today. And yes, we use the same ISP. We live far out in the country, they are the only internet service providers in our area. One thing i forgot to mention, I have two PS3s, a slim and an original 60gb. My 60gb is used for gaming in my bedroom, the slim is in the family room and is pretty much only used for netflix. I popped uncharted 3 into the slim so that I could test if it was my ps3, and we still couldn't connect. If it was the MAC address issue, wouldn't the slim work? I dunno much about the mac address...

Message 18 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 11, 2012

I don't think it's a MAC Address Issue, since your PS3 and your router can get different IP addresses successfully. Your problem has me stumped though. When you connect your PS3 directly to the modem, is connecting fully automatic i.e. there are no logins to type in, no need to choose PPPoE? Or put it a different way, was there anything you had to change to install your Linksys wireless router after you bought it?

The reason I ask is that your modem can also provide some firewall functions, but it can also be bridged to be a simple modem. It looks like it's behaving like a simple modem since you're getting two public IP addresses (one for your router and one for your PS3 connected directly), but for some reason you are unable to connect to your friend and use many of the PlayStation Network features.

I had a friend who couldn't connect to the rest of us, but it turned out his router was being problematic, but you have pretty much a straight connection to the internet. Are there any error messages you get when you fail to connect to your friend?

Message 19 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 11, 2012

Nope, I don't even know what PPPoE is..

As for error messages, we use the xmb voice chat to test different settings, and it depends on who sends the invite. If i send an invite to him, i get the message "wesman284 could not join the chat" and on his end he gets the error code 8002B711

If he sends me the invite, i get the same code and he gets the "wvnative could not join the chat" message. But most games just say unable to join room. This code, when run through google, we both get the same answer: NAT issue.

But that can't be it... Can a bad wi fi router affect the modem as well? One guy on gamefaqs said his old linksys router caused a similer problem to mine, but my friend has also tried the modem as i have, but could the router POSSIBLY mess up his modem?

Message 20 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes