Highlighted
Jan 31 2012
By: wvnative Splicer 67 posts

A certain friend and I cannot connect to each other? PC games work, but not ps3

29 replies 771 views Edited Jan 31, 2012

A specific friend i are unable to join each other on any games or the xmb chat. We both have NAT type 1. We have checked our dsl cables and have done so much to try and fix it, i dont even know where to begin. But can anyone help us? We really wanna blow each other's face off in modern warfare 3

Message 1 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: A certain friend and I cannot connect to each other? PC games work, but not ps3

Feb 1, 2012

Have you tried joining naturaly? Like search for a private match that your friend made and join like that.

Message 2 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Re: A certain friend and I cannot connect to each other? PC games work, but not ps3

Feb 1, 2012

The games we play don't allow to search for matches.

Message 3 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 8, 2012

New discovery: We got so angry with this problem we just decided to try every game we own, and so far, only one game allows us to connect without issue: Burnout Paradise

I'm guessing its a peer to peer issue since burnout has dedicated severs. But how would i fix it?

Message 4 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 8, 2012

Who is your internet service provider? It's possible others have run into this issue before and may have a solution for you.

Message 5 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 9, 2012

Surry Telephone, tried calling them... no help. Tried calling sony, they said to port forward, we haven't had a chance to see if the port forwarding works yet but i am not optimistic.

Message 6 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 9, 2012

It's odd that you would need to port forward when you're already at NAT Type 1. That's pretty much a direct connection to the internet.

What router are you using? Does it combine the DSL modem and router into one device, or do you have a box for each? You can find the manufacturer, model number and version number from the sticker underneath the unit.

Message 7 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Feb 9, 2012

I wonder if it has anything to do with the non-standard or possibly out of date equipment you may be using possibly in a erroneous manner.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3893565?start=0&tstart=0

Maybe you should have stuck to your own thread about this same problem to allow people to help you, I don't recall if you actually posted specifics about your connection setup, things like modem type, router type, possibly other equipment you are using to establish your home network.

color tag 001

Message 8 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 10, 2012

I thought that was weird as well... but they said to do it so i did. Still didn't work.

As for my set up,

http://www.visionnetusa.com/alpha/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=95&lang=en

That's my modem

And it's hooked up to a switchbox which has my ps3 wire going into it, as well as my linksys E2500 wi fi router.

I tried unhooking the switchbox, that didn't work. You see, way back in the summer, this issue randomly occured, but i found that by going directly to the modem, we could play. But doing this killed my parents ability to use the internet. So we bought a switchbox so that my parents wouldn't lose wi fi when we played together. In december, I had to stay at the hospital for a few weeks. When I came home after christmas, this problem arose again, but this time, NOTHING works.

My friend has an older linksys router, but it's an N router, not sure of the exact model though, but I think I remember it being white.

We have the same ISP, so his modem is probably the same or very similer to mine, but he doesn't have a switchbox or anything. We have both tried going straight to our modems at the same time and it still doesn't work, we both get NAT type 1

One thing I should of mentioned earlier, according to my friend, MY public IP address is invalid, but if that were the case, wouldn't I be having a whole other host of problems? Our only problem is that we can't play with each other. We can play with our other PSN buddies, and oddly, we can play burnout paradise together. (uncharted 2 and 3, all call of duty games, uno, and the xmb chat do not work)

When my PS3 is wired to the modem, I get this IP address in the connection status list 64.53.118.136

and when I ask google on my laptop, google returns this IP 64.53.118.128

Is this the problem? Ima call sony again later today.

Anyways, I am sorry i didnt type up all this info in my first post, when i made this topic, i was tired of telling the same story over and over again. Also, I wasn't sure rather to bump my 7 month old topic or start a new one, sorry if i chose the wrong answer.

Well, I have given you guys all the info I  think I can give ya, hope it helps. If my friend and I can't play uncharted or call of duty soon, we might have to resort to real weapons...lol. JK! But we love nothing more than shooting each other's (virtual) face off.

Message 9 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 10, 2012

You don't need to call Sony for the IP address 'issue' . You are supposed to get two different IP addresses, because your internet service provider offers you an IP address for each device you plug into their modem. Right now, you have two devices: your PS3 and your router. Everything connected to your router will see the same public IP address 64.53.118.128, because the role of the router is to let you share one public IP address among many devices. Your PS3 isn't connected to your router, so it's not sharing the same IP address.

I'll have to get back to your problem later today.

Message 10 of 30 (771 Views)
0 Likes