May 16 2011
By: UtesDad First Son 3 posts

14 Business Days to send an email?

12 replies 58 views Edited May 16, 2011

So here's my story for the password reset:

Saturday night (approx 11 pm PST) - Notice PS Blog indicates PSN is back up in some areas (my area not up yet), so I go to bed

Sunday morning (approx 5:30 am PST) - Try to login to PSN on my PS3, get a message saying an email has been sent, which may take up to 24 hours to receive

Sunday morning (approx 6:30 am PST) - No email received, so I try to login to PSN on my PC, get the same message about an email being sent, which may take 24 hours

Sunday afternoon (approx 1:30 pm PST) - Still no email received, so I look online to see if others have the same problem; many report getting it quickly, some report it taking as long as 6 hours; I chalk it up to needing to be more patient and the email will come

Sunday afternoon (approx 4:00 pm PST) - Still no email received, try logging in on PC, get same message about an email being sent; try logging in via PS3 get a message saying password is no longer valid and a system error message

Sunday afternoon (approx 5:00 pm PST) - Still no email, I read messages on forums about doing a "Forgot my password" email as a workaround; it doesn't work for me

Sunday night (approx 9:00 pm PST) - Same as above, no change, figured I'd try to call Sony to see what the problem is; office hours are closed, will open tomorrow morning

Monday morning (approx 6:30 am PST) - Call Sony, their phone system is overwhelmed, can't even wait on hold

Monday morning (approx 7:00 am PST) - Call Sony, I get placed on hold for about 15 min.  I talk to a young man about getting my password reset.  He takes my info (email, name, address, PS3 serial #, etc) and puts me on hold for a couple min "to look into it."  He comes back to tell me that my account information needs to be sent to "our corporate office" for review and an email will be sent "within 14 business days" to have my password reset.  I inquire why this is necessary and why it will take that long.  He said that is the policy they have been given and they need time at the corporate office to review and verify my account information.  I ask what it is about my account that requires the info to be sent there, to which he has no answer.  I ask why it will take 14 business days to verify my account and he has no answer, only repeating that this is the policy he has to follow.  Toward the end of the call he had the audacity to ask me if I wanted to purchase a 2-year warranty protection plan for $59.99 for my PS3 system.  Really dude? 

So there's my story.  Anybody else experiencing something like this?  Anyone able to help me?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16286 posts

Re: 14 Business Days to send an email?

May 16, 2011
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

May 16, 2011

If true that is nuts

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 16, 2011

Sadly, it is very true.

I've created a new user on my PS3 and new PSN account, so I can at least begin playing again, but it puts me back at square one with all the progress on all the games I have until this gets resolved. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
209 posts

May 16, 2011

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I was able to reset my password on the PS3 after the system update. I actually did the system update on Saturday night and had the system automatically turn itself off after download and install. Sunday morning I signed on and was prompted to change my password. Just like that, done!

I am sure that's not what you want to hear. I have read in the forums about others being given the message that e-mail password reset had to be performed. Have you tried resetting by logging into PSN again? I take it you have downloaded the 3.61 firmware? You might try system update again and then a reboot and try to login again. Is there anything unique about your system? Mine is slim CECH-2101A. Not sure if the older systems are having more trouble with the update.

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 16, 2011

I have tried to login to PSN countless times, both using my PS3 and my PC, to no avail.  I was able to successfully download and update the 3.61 firmware on Sunday morning.  I have the CECH-2501A model which I bought 3 months ago. 

I will try the system update again, that is something I haven't tried since I updated to 3.61. 

Thanks.

EDIT: Didn't work : (

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
209 posts

May 16, 2011

UtesDad wrote:

I have tried to login to PSN countless times, both using my PS3 and my PC, to no avail.  I was able to successfully download and update the 3.61 firmware on Sunday morning.  I have the CECH-2501A model which I bought 3 months ago. 

I will try the system update again, that is something I haven't tried since I updated to 3.61. 

Thanks.

Thats a mystery. The more I read, the more I believe I was one of the lucky ones. If you try system update again (either through Internet or USB) the system will most likely tell you you have the latest firmware, but it is worth a shot. A reboot might help too. I don't think at this point it is possible to go back to 3.60 and start the process over. I wonder if certain regions were targeted for more stringent verification? It could also be a case of Sony systems just being overloaded. I don't know.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 20, 2011

Ya,i got the 14 day bid too.i was able to get in my main account,no promblems,but my sub,(where DCUO account is)couldn't log on.Had an old email address,i no longer could get to.So i called Sony,and was tolded the samething 14 days,at first i thought it was the back log,everyone tryin to get in at the sametime.That was sunday 5/15/11round 4ish.Called back once to make sure they had all info right,that was tuesday.But now that i know that it might have to get review,i'll have to relex,i was getting impatient.Hope it doesn't take the whole 14days.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1427 posts

May 21, 2011

Draco_Invictus wrote:

The more I read, the more I believe I was one of the lucky ones.

I suspect the vast majority of folks have experiences more like ours... i.e. a relatively smooth transition.

Getting to that point was a bit odd, though. FWIW, my process was I flipped on the machine to do some Netflix last Sat. night... but first got the message about the OS update, did it. Tried to log in after the re-boot, got the password change thing... but it said THAT service was unavailable. 2 hours later, tried again and DID get to change my password. Tried to log in but could not because "services not available." Hour later, bingo I got actually signed in!

Next day, it went a lot smoother for 2 of my other accounts. I'm waiting for Asia to come back up so I can apply new e-mail/passwords to my JP and HK accounts.

0 Likes
Last Guardian
12787 posts

May 21, 2011

stall tactic

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (58 Views)
0 Likes