Dec 31 2011
By: stalepie Monster Hunter 38 posts

Playstation doesn't turn off (turns right back on)

7 replies 778 views Edited Dec 31, 2011

Recently have been experiencing the problem of the PS3 Slim not turning off. I know I'm not supposed to pull the plug out the back to get it to turn off, but there's no other way I know of to turn it off. Holding down the button for 5 seconds or more does try to turn it off but it blinks red for about 1/4 a second then goes back to green and powers itself back on.

Previously we'd been having this issue where it'd turn itself back on -- so I'm thinking it's a malfunctioning power switch (obviously), but hadn't heard about the problem. Just didn't know if there was an easy fix. Was hoping it was something to do with the hard drive but formatting it and restoring it didn't help.

also doesn't connect to the internet anymore, but trying to fix the power problem atm.

thanks if anyone can h elp

Message 1 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
35992 posts

Re: Playstation doesn't turn off (turns right back on)

Dec 31, 2011

This isn't an issue I can say i have come across before with the PS3, it's totally new to me, I turn my PS3 off via the XMB by navigating to "shut down" then hitting 'X".

Message 2 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Jan 1, 2012

It doesn't work that way -- I should have said -- but thanks.

I mean it automatically turns right back on when I turn it off through software (XMB) or by holding down the button.

Message 3 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 1, 2012

have you checked to see if the remote start is on? have you ever connected your psp, if you have one, to your ps3 remotely? my system would do this every once in a while til i turned remote start off. there is a chance that this is why it is turning on again. hope that helps. oh remote start is under remote play settings.

Message 4 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 1, 2012

If you have at&t Uverse internet, that particularly doesn't work well with the PS3's remote start function.

Message 5 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Jan 1, 2012

It says it's turned off. I did a system restore yesterday, which sets it back to its default settings, but I don't remember turning on Remote Play before that.

I don't have a PSP, but I do have AT&T U-Verse. Probably the power switch is just malfunctioning.

Message 6 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 1, 2012

What usually happens when remote play is enabled with U-verse, it that it will turn on the PS3 once you turn it off, but then after that remote play is turned off, and it shouldn't happen again...

Message 7 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Jan 18, 2012

Strangely but happily it turns off now like normal. I set it up with a new TV, a Sony. I guess it likes the Sony..

Message 8 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Likes