Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 28 2007
By: ManofValor~ Fender Bender 3385 posts

What is a good game???

18 replies 3 views Edited Jan 28, 2007
After being here for so long and reading numerous posts on what makes a game good, I've finally figured out the answer and its very simple. Not long at all. A game is a good game when its addictive.
Recently I was playing Final Fantasy XII and every time I wasn't able to get anything done, I stopped playing the game. You may have read couple of posts by me and the whole related story but the game just attracted me back to it. I may have called it boring and some other stuff but I've finally realized the beauty of this game. After numerous times of leaving the game for awhile and then coming back, I realized that this is what makes a game good. Its the addictiveness. I mean right now the console wars and they're saying that graphics will justify what makes a game good. Think about it, how good will the graphics get for it to be a good game. Final Fantasy VII is what???? I mean the graphics pure sucked except the movies but other than that it had a great story of all time that still wanna make players play it. Thus looking at it from this prospective, I don’t think graphics will justify whether or not a game is good though they do play a role and I do want better graphics for my games. What else is there??? Though hardware plays a role into gameplay, a game from my prospective is only good when you're addicted to it. I mean Resistance though a good game I read that utilized the power of Cell Broadband Engine and the ships that move around are just not movies or whatever the technical name is but is happening continuously and you will not experience the same scenario twice. What good is it if you don’t wanna play it. Therefore saying that, I think it can easily be deduced that a game is good when its ADDICTIVE.

NOTE i'm not trying to persuave you to agree with me. This is my opinion.

Message Edited by Man of Valor on 01-27-2007 04:39 PM

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Re: What is a good game???

Jan 28, 2007
I disagree. A game can be addictive but that doesn't mean it's fantastic.

A game is good to me when I'm enjoying it. That's all there is to it.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3385 posts

Jan 28, 2007
yes and when you enjoy it you're addicted.

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
272 posts

Jan 28, 2007
A good game is game that you think is good (x1,000)
PLAY B3YOND
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2739 posts

Jan 28, 2007
No, if a game is addicting it doesn't mean it's good. A good game is a game that I really like to play and usually do all out anything to play it
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Jan 28, 2007

Man of Valor wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

If I'm addicted, I'd be glued to the screen. But I'm not. I don't think have the audecity to speak for others here. Addiction and enjoyment are two TOTALLY different things. I enjoy a game but I'm not addicted to it. Don't start telling me what I am and what I'm not.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Jan 28, 2007

Man of Valor wrote:
I think people see good games from other peoples prospective rather than their own. I mean I'm just wondering how you would classify a good game. Graphics and playing experience. I mean if you don’t enjoy it, would you still can it a good game???

Don't deviate from the main point. A game is NOT addictive just because it's enjoyable. being addicted to a game and enjoying a game are two different things.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3385 posts

Jan 28, 2007
I think people see good games from other peoples prospective rather than their own. I mean I'm just wondering how you would classify a good game. Graphics and playing experience. I mean if you don’t enjoy it, would you still can it a good game???
Take Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter. It had everything a good game "should" have. Graphics playing experince why wasn't or isn't that good of a game from MOST peoples prespective. If you dont believe me check out the Shooter General Borad and read posts made couple of months back. I had this game and the maps looked great but the game sucked.

Message Edited by Man of Valor on 01-27-2007 04:41 PM

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2739 posts

Jan 28, 2007

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Man of Valor wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

If I'm addicted, I'd be glued to the screen. But I'm not. I don't think have the audecity to speak for others here. Addiction and enjoyment are two TOTALLY different things. I enjoy a game but I'm not addicted to it. Don't start telling me what I am and what I'm not.

I agree with you but they can team up every once in a while. Sometimes they are the same thing though.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3385 posts

Jan 28, 2007

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Man of Valor wrote:

Don't deviate from the main point. A game is NOT addictive just because it's enjoyable. being addicted to a game and enjoying a game are two different things.

Yes they both are two different things but just wondering what factors make you get addicted to a game? The only reason i can think of is for enjoyment or you just wanna conquer it. Just wondering what factors will make you say that this game is good.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (3 Views)
0 Likes