Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 09 2012
By: PapaWarlock PlayStation MVP 11161 posts

What have Video Games done for you?

33 replies 495 views Edited Jul 9, 2012

In today's online world, it seems that people would rather complain about things than talk positive about things. I've recently been in a few rather negative conversations, including one that I created. For those that know me rather well, know that I live with a lot of physical pain. I decided to create a new conversation today, one designed to hopefully spark some good conversation and story swapping.

Today's topic is "What have video games done for you?"

I've been gaming for 30 years myself. Video games have long been an escape route for me. Much like books, video games allow me to visit various worlds. They allow me to be the hero. They take me on adventures that I could not normally have. Video games also allow me to focus past the physical pain I live with.

I will likely expand my story later on today or tomorrow. But for now I'll keep it short and look forward to seeing what video games have done for others.

Message 1 of 34 (495 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager
4648 posts

Re: What have Video Games done for you?

Jul 9, 2012

Jeez, I have no idea where to begin on this one.

Videogames have given me life long friends, they have given me a career, they have told me stories that I can escape with, relate to, or find some other emotion with.

They've made me cry, jump in fear, and jump for joy.

They've made me break things, hug people, and cuss out my best friend.

I've flown to other cities for them, I've called in "sick" to work for them, and I've blown full paychecks on them as a kid.

I love them.  I genuinely love them.  So much that I try to do whatever I can to help other people fall in love with them too.

Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 2 of 34 (488 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11127 posts

Jul 9, 2012

Video games have given me something to be passionate about. Video games have provided imaginative stories and unforgettable characters, inspired visuals and key musical numbers that write themselves into perfection.

Take the scene from last year's cinematic adventure series in Jurassic Park. For those currently playing or who have yet to play, I'll just say that a raptor and a human is involved in a combat sequence. A rocking tune ties into the action, meshing very well with what's happening on-screen and making every finishing blow to this prehistoric threat that much sweeter.

Video games are also part of what have generated friendships over the years, or a way to stay connected when you're that much farther apart. If I wasn't running my mouth about video games all those times then history might have been written differently. :smileywink:

Heck, video games even help push to get back on that exercise wheel. The Nintendo 3DS may not have ample source of games I'm after right now, but it does have a footstep tracker for  a daily dose of coins. Using that, I'll keep it on my person while out and about toward climbing the haunted castle ever higher. :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 34 (484 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41732 posts

Jul 9, 2012

I have a relatively narrow interest in videos games focusing on racing simulators, but that has allowed me to learn more indepth about cars, racing, sims, games in general, SONY, and the people who play these games.

This past weekend, I drove almost 100 miles to meet a bunch of Gran Turismo players who came from as far away as Saskatchewan and Texas, to meet face-to-face. Good people, good times.

I have improved my driving by taking a driver's training course beyond what you normally would get, so that has, hopefully, made me a better and safer driver. Since I wouldn't normally drive this much in real life, and especially at speed, the driver confidence that I get from correction of mistakes in a safe environment, and the amount of practice miles I get, are bound to pay off, too, in the end.

So beyond the mere entertainment value of games, there can be other aspects in your life that get affected.

Message 4 of 34 (480 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
729 posts

Jul 9, 2012

Games, to me, have served a twofold interest. For one, it's a hobby. When I'm home and feel like gaming, there it is, just waiting to get powered on and enjoy myself. At other times, it serves as an escape from present day troubles. Not always, mind you, but there are times when I'm home, down in the dumps over whatever it may be, and I feel like getting away. It's at this point where I play a game that can help me focus on something other than a bad day at work, or another health issue within the family. In a way it's almost theraputic...it doesn't make the problems go away, or even take your mind completely off of them, but gives you enough of a break so that you can relieve a little bit of stress.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 34 (475 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4580 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Heck, video games even help push to get back on that exercise wheel. The Nintendo 3DS may not have ample source of games I'm after right now, but it does have a footstep tracker for  a daily dose of coins. Using that, I'll keep it on my person while out and about toward climbing the haunted castle ever higher. :smileyhappy:

I carry my 3DS with me almost daily, but what I don't like about that feature is that there's a limit to how many coins you get each day.  There's no reason (3DS-wise) to walk past 1000 steps, and it's not a signifcant amount to have a health benefit (I've seen 10,000 steps as a recommended daily minimum).  I walk much more than that every day and it takes several days' worth of coins to really be useful for their games.

There are some games that are good for exercise though, some that are specifically meant for that, and others just using intense motion controls, like The Fight.  The game wasn't amazing, but it was fun enough to keep me playing and really work up a sweat.  Thinking of it now, I think I'll start playing it again for the exercise; I beat it and quit playing then.  I also have EA Sports Active 2 (and I got each of these for under $10 :smileyhappy:) which I played for a little while but never really "finished."  I could get the exercise without the games of course, but it really does encourage you to keep going.

Of course, generally speaking, games aren't really good exercise.  Depending on the game though, they can be good for exercising things like hand-eye coordination, reading, problem-solving, etc.  Gaming has done things like this for me but primarily it is a form of entertainment.  If you aren't enjoying a game, there are probably better uses of your time.  The main "real life" thing I get out of gaming is forming and strengthening friendships with others who enjoy gaming; in my experience, "gamers" tend to have a lot of other common interests as well.

Message 6 of 34 (473 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11127 posts

Jul 9, 2012

JERM7 wrote:

I carry my 3DS with me almost daily, but what I don't like about that feature is that there's a limit to how many coins you get each day.  There's no reason (3DS-wise) to walk past 1000 steps, and it's not a signifcant amount to have a health benefit (I've seen 10,000 steps as a recommended daily minimum).  I walk much more than that every day and it takes several days' worth of coins to really be useful for their games.

This is something I've noticed myself, although that hasn't stopped the count tracker from tracking... or more importantly, my body from proceeding to move. It does stink that your "play coins" don't account for the actual work put in for overall experience (if you happen to go over the limit), but at least it's nice to have for a type of motivator.

Message 7 of 34 (467 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2050 posts

Jul 9, 2012
Video games have made me some lovely friends and absorbed far too much of my time, money and attention. :smileyvery-happy:

Spoony Bard

Message 8 of 34 (462 Views)
Wastelander
729 posts

Jul 9, 2012

ResidentZoidberg wrote:
Video games have made me some lovely friends and absorbed far too much of my time, money and attention. :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, especially my money. My poor wallet has suffered the most here.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 34 (459 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2798 posts

Jul 9, 2012

ResidentZoidberg wrote:

Same here; now to answer the question from the rest of my perspective.

When I started playing video games at age 4 it opened up a world of interest beyond them and into technology in general. I enjoy learning about computer software/programs and hardware basically on my own. I'm not in school for it yet but I would like to go for a degree in software or graphic design. My family likes to call me a computer wiz, I have intermediate knowledge at best. If there's something someone needs help with I do my best to come up with a solution. If I don't know what to do I recommend someone who does know.

While using these forums I've met lots of people and made friends I otherwise wouldn't have had if I weren't an avid gamer. I've become friends not just with users on forums but with employees at Gamestop stores because of my love of gaming. It's awesome being able to play and talk with gamers from all around the world. Games also offer a great escape for me depending on the mood I'm in at that moment or want to lessen the effects of reality for a bit.

The stories in games is also a great element that can evoke many emotions of all ranges. One game that stirred my emotions in ways I didn't expect was Heavenly Sword. It felt like I was right by Nariko in every battle and cutscene as I played through the game. I haven't finished it yet, but plan to soon. I love games that draw me in and make me feel like I'm apart of the whole experience.

Message 10 of 34 (455 Views)
0 Likes