Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
5697 posts

Re: What have Video Games done for you?

Jul 13, 2012

I think my biggest thanks to the gaming industry is that it gave me a job :smileyvery-happy:. Helped me meet some great friends, but at the same time it has made me a far more nervous person over all. Stress probably would not have such a big impact on my life if it wasn't for games. Which is for sure not a good thing, but at the same time it has given me a great job at a very respectable game developer doing... this and that :smileywink:

So I guess you could say it is a love and hate relationship for me.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 34 (418 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
610 posts

Jul 14, 2012

I agree PapaWarlock! Video games a much like movies and books, they're a great

escape from the real world. I've been gaming on and off for about 30 years myself.

I do find it hard not to get too immersed into a game I really like. I could easily sit

for close to two hours playing RDD, L.A Noire or Bioshock 2.

Of course I recall the good ol' days, the 80's to be exact, when games were

all action. Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Burgertime, Wizard of Wor, Tempest, Kung

Fu Master had no diologue. Don't think there was a game in existence with

dialogue unitl the PSone came out?

PS. I hope you're doing ok. Hope you are not in too much pain.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 34 (402 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4068 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Video Games have done plenty for me over the years.

I have been gaming for 20+ years and over the years I have come to love video games. In my younger years I gained a sense of responsibility as I had to work hard to support my hobby. Various odd jobs helped me save up money to buy the consoles and games I wanted. So from a young age I gained a greater appreciation for my possessions as I had to work hard to earn them. Although I got games and some consoles as gifts for special occasions, most of my games were the rewards of hard work. And this is still the case today.

Now that I am an adult in my mid 30's, I find there is no better escape than video games. It is a great way to escape the stress of day to day life. Don't get me wrong, I still read books and watch movies but video games are a lot more entertaining for me. There are so many great adventures to be experienced...and I can get lost in world that can only be experienced in the gaming world. I can drive a car I will probably never be able to afford or be an elite soldier on an impossible mission. I have flown to hundreds of places around the world and have even conquered the world. :smileyvery-happy:

And over the years I have meet some great friends who share the same love of gaming as I do. I have meet some right here on the Playstation forums.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 34 (389 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7018 posts

Jul 16, 2012

First off let me say,  it sure has been quite some time that I've been on these boards. I wonder if some of you even remember who I am :smileytongue:

Anyways, back onto topic. When I first started gaming I was young and I didn't have my own console. I don't think anyone around my age would back then. I would always ask my older brother to let me play with his Nintendo 64 or his Super Nintendo to get some Mario time in. I loved gaming. Ever since I was a child I loved it because I immersed myself in a world that was just so interesting to me. I thought, how could this be? I can sit here and tell this character what to do, when to jump, how to move; yet it wasn't real but it felt like I was completely immersed.

Eventually my older brother got a PlayStation 2 and I was thrilled. The rare moments he would actually let me near the console and have the gracious opportunity to play with it, I would be hooked for hours at a time. Once I sat down you couldn't get me up. This is what really pushed me into gaming. My brother and I would argue a lot so I couldn't play as much as I wish I could. Until my birthday came along and I got my very own PS2. Needless to say, serious gaming for me just had just begun.

I could go over my entire history, but I don't want to get too off-topic. In short, after years of playing video games, from Nintendo 64s, to PlayStation 3s, and everything in between. I'm talking PS Vita, Gameboy Color, and even the original Xbox. Video games have made me realize that they are in many ways an art and more than just a casual hobby. It's never good to take anything to seriously, especially a video game but as I said, they are an art and stand on their own level. I have learned to appreciate quality video games in my recent years of gaming instead of just buying everything up and playing it until my fingers bleed, and video games in general have done that for me but most importantly hard hitting titles such as Uncharted or Heavy Rain. 

Video games have always helped me get my mind off things as well, especially if I can get really into a storyline or just simply an extremely great and intense online match. I haven't had much time to play as I've had many things going on in my personal life but I think I might start up again soon. I like that I can get into another world and just completely forget about certain things when I play. For the moment, when I am playing something interesting, nothing else really matters and I am immersed into the game. Things also look promising for the future of games. With big titles like the Last of Us and GTA V coming soon I feel like they will just help expand my love for gaming and appreciate the finesse and quality that's really put into top notch games.

And lastly, I like that games are becoming a big more realistic. For example, Grand Theft Auto IV with it's comicness and somewhat dark tone it still a great game and I play it to this day. I love the fact that I can walk around or drive in New York because I personally have never visited NY, and always wanted to. WIth GTA IV I can in a way. Or that wow factor I got from playing the sniper mission in Call of Duty 4. Simply amazing, I knew I'd never do that myself but when I played that mission I felt shocked and awed. Video games can do a lot and I like that I can go to places I haven't been or do things I probably wont ever do. It's just plain fun. They've shown me that their is more to a game than just playing it but appreciating it and spending countless hours working for those extra easter eggs or bonuses is always fun! :smileytongue:.

PLAYB3YOND
Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield 3, The Last Of Us
PLAYSTATION®3 - PLAYB3YOND

New User Guide | MVP Discussion | Mr. Satsu® | MVP FAQ | Community News | My PS3 Games
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 34 (383 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7966 posts

Jul 31, 2012

Video games gave me a new job.

We opened a LAN/Gaming Center in July of 2010. Six months after opening I started repairing consoles, fixing scratched discs, as well as running the center full time alone.

The number of people out there gaming exceeds anyone's estimations. Old, young, men, women, it doesn't seem to matter.

I've hosted birthday parties, tournaments, bacholer parties, charity events, world record attempts. All of it and all of it revolves around video games. I don't know of any other form of entertainment media that has effected my life so directly.

The people that try to place blame on things like video games for society's problems are grasping for straws. They feel lost and helpless and NEED something to blame for the problems we face...when in fact these problems have always been there. Before video games, or movies, or even books. People need a scapegoat because we all know how the common man can do no wrong on his own and there must be something at fault...

We're growing everyday and just had our 2 year anniversary. Doing well after opening during one of the worst economic times in recent history...Blame video games for a lot of lost sleep and high power bills but not for violence or bad kids those happen with or with out the games...Long live VIDEO GAMES!!!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 34 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
23051 posts

Aug 1, 2012

Video games have done an awful lot for me, they really they have.

I'm 23 now and I've been playing since I was like 6 or 7 years old. I remember playing Another World for the Sega Mega Drive as well the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

I've literally played all the way through my early school years, my early teens, my teenage years and I still continue to play now. As I grow up and my generation advances, so does the gaming scene. I've been around long enough to witness games go from 2D side-scrollers to open-world-360 degree games and now 3D games. It's amazing how much the gaming scene has changed in the past 15 years. I can only imagine where it will be in another 15 years.

What have games actually done for me?... They've helped me through times which have been hard when I've simply wanted to be on my own. Games are an escape from everyday life and even though I'm not naive enough to think they can replace it, they do help you escape for just a little while and create your own little bubble, just as books and other creative forms of entertainment do.

They've also helped me have good times - FIFA tournaments with friends, evenings playing Call of Duty and just generally producing moments which give a lot of happiness. My parents moan and **bleep** at me about playing games far too much but in reality they're too blind to see that they actually watch more TV than I play games. Somehow people just seem to think that watching TV all day is morally accepted now in this modern day and age where as playing games is a waste of time.

I'm just glad that we even have the ability to play games in the first place. Sometimes there is nothing better than coming home from a long hard day at work and just chilling in front of the PS3 with an ice cold can of Coke and a fully-loaded burrito. 

Games for me, can be a savior, a release and the best form of entertainment to be had when with a group of friends. They produce fun, competition and memories. I'd much rather play games than watch a film, listen to music or watch TV. 

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 34 (355 Views)
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Aug 8, 2012

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Jeez, I have no idea where to begin on this one.

Videogames have given me life long friends, they have given me a career, they have told me stories that I can escape with, relate to, or find some other emotion with.

They've made me cry, jump in fear, and jump for joy.

They've made me break things, hug people, and cuss out my best friend.

I've flown to other cities for them, I've called in "sick" to work for them, and I've blown full paychecks on them as a kid.

I love them.  I genuinely love them.  So much that I try to do whatever I can to help other people fall in love with them too.

Hahaha.

I've done that too.  I called in sick when "Devil May Cry 4" came out and also for Metal Gear Solid 4 "Guns of the Patriots" came out.

Speaking of which, its about time for me to play through MGS4 again.   (heard the game will be getting trophies sometime soon as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 34 (339 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Aug 8, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Video games have given me something to be passionate about. Video games have provided imaginative stories and unforgettable characters, inspired visuals and key musical numbers that write themselves into perfection.

Take the scene from last year's cinematic adventure series in Jurassic Park. For those currently playing or who have yet to play, I'll just say that a raptor and a human is involved in a combat sequence. A rocking tune ties into the action, meshing very well with what's happening on-screen and making every finishing blow to this prehistoric threat that much sweeter.

Video games are also part of what have generated friendships over the years, or a way to stay connected when you're that much farther apart. If I wasn't running my mouth about video games all those times then history might have been written differently. :smileywink:

Heck, video games even help push to get back on that exercise wheel. The Nintendo 3DS may not have ample source of games I'm after right now, but it does have a footstep tracker for  a daily dose of coins. Using that, I'll keep it on my person while out and about toward climbing the haunted castle ever higher. :smileyhappy:

Interesting,

what are the three DS coins, and what kind of things can you do with them.   Sounds like an interesting incentive to keep the 3DS on you and go for a long walk!  XD

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 34 (339 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Aug 8, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

I have a relatively narrow interest in videos games focusing on racing simulators, but that has allowed me to learn more indepth about cars, racing, sims, games in general, SONY, and the people who play these games.

This past weekend, I drove almost 100 miles to meet a bunch of Gran Turismo players who came from as far away as Saskatchewan and Texas, to meet face-to-face. Good people, good times.

I have improved my driving by taking a driver's training course beyond what you normally would get, so that has, hopefully, made me a better and safer driver. Since I wouldn't normally drive this much in real life, and especially at speed, the driver confidence that I get from correction of mistakes in a safe environment, and the amount of practice miles I get, are bound to pay off, too, in the end.

So beyond the mere entertainment value of games, there can be other aspects in your life that get affected.

Wow, what specialty course did you take?    Did taking that course help to lower your car insurance?

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 34 (338 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10919 posts

Aug 8, 2012

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

Interesting,

what are the three DS coins, and what kind of things can you do with them.   Sounds like an interesting incentive to keep the 3DS on you and go for a long walk!  XD

The 3DS coin system you might remember from the E3 2010 presentation. For every 1,000 steps you'll receive 10 coins a day. So if you happen to be a jogger, a walker, or like to tie your 3DS to your dog as it runs around in the yard, then it's possible to earn some coins for the exchange of mini-games inside the 3DS hardware.

There are two types of mini-games on the 3DS: Find Mii and Puzzle Swap. Find Mii has you setting forth to rescue your chosen Mii persona with other Miis you've met along the way or bought from the stock of wandering heroes (which the play coins are then used for). And in Puzzle Swap it's basically a game for other people you pass with the 3DS. If your 3DS connects to someone else's and they've been playing a 3DS game you either have or don't, then you can choose from that game or several others (if they have them) and pick one piece of the puzzle to add to the completion of a game's art piece you're compiling.

I have yet to finish any of the images in Puzzle Swap though, as I've been spending all my coins on Find Mii. It takes 2 coins just to buy one wandering hero. Since you get 10 coins a day, and you can hire up to 10 wandering heroes for 20 play coins a day... you can see how this system can be very taxing on the player.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 34 (333 Views)
0 Likes