Lombax Warrior
173 posts

Re: What does it take for a game to be good nowadays?

Dec 11, 2008
for me a good game nees to be addictive, have good controls, be very fun to play and not be really really difficult!
cragajack

My Games: Prototype, Fifa 09, Assassins Creed, Burnout Paradise, COD4, GT5 Prologue, GTA4, Killzone 2, LBP, MGS4, MSPR, Prince of Persia, Resistance 2, Civilization Revolution, Uncharted, Warhawk, Wipeout HD,Flower, 3 ON 3 NHL

Currently Playing: COD WAW
Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1252 posts

Dec 14, 2008

cragajack wrote:
for me a good game nees to be addictive, have good controls, be very fun to play and not be really really difficult!

I don't know about 'addictive' But I will keep going back to a game if it's good enough. There have been cases I guess where I have been hooked though too. Little nostalgic moment just came to me too - Mashed! Man, that was one addictive multiplayer game!

Yeah, I think this is a pretty crucial area. I don't like it when two games of the same genre have completely different controls, especially driving games and shooters. I do prefer the new R2 idea though I've just about got used to that.

Dunno about this comment; I like a good 'challenging' game. I remember the first Crash drove me MAD. But I eventually got past it and it was very satisfying. I prefer it when games have varied difficulty settings though because I just go straight in at the deep end.

They must have had major lag 2000 years ago.. it took Jesus 3 days to respawn.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Dec 14, 2008
What does it take for a game to be good nowadays?

1.A group of People willing & able to listen and work with one ,despite ones Own opinions(There isn't no I in Team,Share & help construct ideas & concepts)!

2.A grasp of what made & makes previously made video-games good/great.

Forsight.

Oh, The basics:

Stable design structure, Graphics, Online, and a detailed Plot/Story.  

Honestly I could have told People that a game like GTA would sell really good now-of-days, and I whould have said the samething when GTA was on the Commodore64 too.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
731 posts

Dec 16, 2008

Regarding Story:

I think something that makes a story better is free will of the player. Take the resistance series, for example. The first one was told from Parkers point of view in the future, so people were fine with listening to decisions by Hale that already happened. Fast forward to R2 and the story degenerates, why? Because you are not in the story, every time a decision has to be made Hale makes it, not you. When you split up, do you pick the path, no. Hale picks it. Almost any other game follows this profile: this is your goal, do it and improvise. R2 follows it this way: This is your goal, do it this way and only this way or die.

In RPGs does your character get taken over by the computer and go to wherever you need to go? No, you go yourself because the writers make you want to.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes