Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
2251 posts

Re: Used games the cause of the $10 dollar price hike on games this gen?

Dec 31, 2008

Natheya wrote:
If you are fustrated with any price hike there is always a simple solution.  By less games.  Games are quite pricey as it is so I have scaled back my purchases a lot.  Started replaying some of my older games from scatch.  Forgot how fun GTA4 was. =)

???? Yeah right LOL!!

I'd rather buy a "new to me game" then play an old one I've already completed.

Message Edited by chefdad on 12-30-2008 06:17 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 131 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Dec 31, 2008
i buy all my games used. once you buy it retail they will come out with more add-ons that cost MORE money!!
Please use plain text.
Message 132 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 31, 2008

One of the reasons I am glad they sell used games is because you can get games for systems that are about to be put out to pasture read this....

Whatever happened to the PSP? The device that Sony once touted as "the Walkman for the 21st century" is fast disappearing from popular consciousness, and if you believe the rumors circulating just three-and-a-half years after its launch, it's up for a major rethink in 2009.

Over the crucial month of November, the Nintendo DS shifted a jaw-dropping 1.5 million units in the US alone (up 20% from last year) while the PSP languished, managing just 421,000 sales -- actually down 27%, in what was in general a tremendously strong month for video games.

Even the software support is eroding. Despite the PSP's healthy install base of around 13 million consumers, only six 2008 PSP releases scored better than 80% on review aggregating site gamerankings.com, compared with 16 on the DS. There's a good reason for that: nobody's making PSP games, because outside of one or two hits like this year's Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, nobody's buying them. That's only going to worsen when the superheavyweight Grand Theft Auto series (previously exclusive to the PSP on handhelds) releases its first DS title early next year.

In a lot of ways, it's a shame. The PSP is a far more capable hardware platform than the DS. It's a phone, a portable music player, a pocket-sized movie device, a mobile web browser, and when paired with a Playstation 3, a remarkably capable remote control for the system, capable of streaming music and movies from a PS3 over the Internet to wherever you happen to be.

Time to put this gaming warhorse out to pasture?

Next to it, the DS looks like a product of another age. It's barely capable of 3D, let alone delivering a suite of mobile applications of the PSP's caliber. Not, in fact, unlike the contrast between the Playstation 3 (modern, immensely powerful, and pricey) and the Wii (underpowered, basic, and cheap.) Oh, and phenomenally successful. The parallels you can draw between Sony and Nintendo's offerings go deep.

But then, set the PSP next to the iPhone or iPod Touch, the year's other big winner in portable gaming, and the PSP's hardware design suddenly looks old hat. Where's the touchscreen? What are all these buttons for? What on earth is the point of this useless analog nub of a joystick? And why, in an age when flash memory is so cheap it practically comes in Cheerios boxes, are we still stuck with a huge, bulky, slow, and noisy optical drive? If you're going to compete by offering a powerful hardware platform, you actually need to outperform the competition. As the iPhone steps into the portable gaming ring, it's already got the PSP on the ropes.

Guess what, Sony: Apple already made the Walkman of the 21st century, and you missed the boat.

This is why we have used games because something you pay $200 for is no longer something you can buy new games for!

Please use plain text.
Message 133 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10840 posts

Dec 31, 2008

My take on used games being for cause for higher priced games; copout

Yes they cut into revenue etc... But as stated, used games have been around for a while now.

I don't however support used games. If I purchase a used game the priced has to be significantly lower than what it first retailed for.

It takes quite some time for an average $60 game new/used to go down to my price range of what I consider  to be used.

IMO, if you buy used games from Gamestop at their "discounted" prices, you're part of  the problem.

I'm taking about their 54.99 used game price tags.. If you're going to pay that, why not buy new?

I'm just curious,  how long do some of you who DO support used games wait before purchasing them?

Please use plain text.
Message 134 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10840 posts

Dec 31, 2008

dwigg wrote:

One of the reasons I am glad they sell used games is because you can get games for systems that are about to be put out to pasture read this....

This is why we have used games because something you pay $200 for is no longer something you can buy new games for!

LOL buying into Yahoo's assault on all things Sony. 

The PSP isn't going anywhere.. Software sales were down in 08', because frankly there wasn't much to buy. 

On the hardware side its sales were more than sufficient for a $169 handheld.

As for your last comment: PSP games to get EXCITED in 2009

Patapon 2
LocoRoco 2
Resistance : Retribution
Star Ocean 2
Parasite Eve 3
Disgaea 2
Tenchu 4
Mana-Khemia : Student Alliance
Disaster Report 3
Tales of the World RM2
Chô Aniki Zero
Sengoku Basara Battle Heroes

^^ Just to name a few.. So to say, you can't purchase any new games is ludicrous.

Message Edited by Anddo on 12-31-2008 08:44 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 135 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 31, 2008
When I buy a game I have to make sure I will like that game first... so if i'm excited about a game such as fallout3 or cod4 I will buy it new. The games that I buy that are used are ones that I have never played before and have heard some good things about, and even then I will rent them before I buy them. With used games if I'm at a game store and I see a game that is priced say about $20 or so I will buy it. Me personal I buy the games I  really want new and keep them. I still have my n64 games. The point I'm trying to get across is that if you have systems that they don't make games for such as the n64, dreamcast, super nintendo, ect. how are you going to get games if they are'nt used. If  the makers of the games did't want tem to be sold again as used then they would use the cd key method to stop it, as they do on computers.
Please use plain text.
Message 136 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1257 posts

Dec 31, 2008

thatonekid393 wrote:
If you buy used games, you are contributing to the injury of an industry. I never buy used games
So, that means you shouldn't go to Goodwill or thrift shops either, since you "contributing to the injury of an industry". Poor Old Navy and Target! I am getting used stuff with your names on it!
Please use plain text.
Message 137 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
474 posts

Dec 31, 2008

I can see why they think the used game market hurts the new game market.  The companies are losing money on their new games when people are looking for used games.

However, when you buy a car at a Chevy Dealership brand new, turn around and sell it to an independent dealer for someone else, should Chevy get a cut from the used sales.  In my opinion no.  Why?  There is a risk/reward factor when buying a used car/game.  If you buy a used game, you really risk buying a copy of the game that's scratched and worn than a brand new copy, or for a car, it might be more suspectable to breakdowns if bought used.  A brand new car is under some sort of warranty, so if you buy used, you lose some benefits than if you buy new.

I will always comparison shop for games.  I won't buy a game for $40 new if I can buy it used for half price.  Heck I think $40 a game is too much let alone $60.

Just like life, video games has those moments when everything is a breeze and then there are those moments where everything seems impossible. However, there is always a way to get through those seemingly impossible tasks.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 138 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
676 posts

Jan 1, 2009

Yea the pre owned game industrie has been around for quite a while. I don't really buy pre owned games unless i really want it and it has stopped selling or its not a game that i think im going to like to much so i don't want to spend as much on. I just don't like 2nd hand stuff much cuz i have had bad experiences like scratched not working discs and unable 2 return stupid eb. ok now they have the 1 year return thing but still.

but i do like to trade my games in or sell them to other people because once im done with a game why do I want it to be hanging around my house collecting dust when i could have money 4 it?

ok too bad if they don't like it. what do they want us to do when we are done with a game? throw it out?

if they dont like it they should try and create really long lasting games with heaps of replay value. because if games have lots of replay value then no1 is gonna wanna trade it in so then if any1 else wants it they have 2 go buy it new.

so its wrong what they said about it affecting the quality of the game. if its a good game i buy it brand new anyway. and if its that good no1 wants 2 trade it in then they still make money.

now with the use of updates devs should continue their support for a long time down the line like continue 2 add more levels and features with add ons even for a small fee like some games have. but instead of having 1 or 2 at release (thats stupid when they do that because they could have added it to the game but then they dont so then they charge you for something they shouldnt) but like after 5-6 months release a level or something and then 1-2 years down the line mayb even more 2 keep people playing.

the one thing im scared about is how it says that they are going to try and stop used game sales, in which they might go more games on psn only. and since i live in aus with crap internet high prices really slow speeds and a cap on how much we can download a month. anywhere from 100mb-100gigs our plans range from (av 10 gigs $50 a month).for more bandwidth like 80-10gigs its like $130 a month. and considering how big some games are it takes a very long time( somtime days) to download the game then it makes us go over our limit and we get slowed down so slow like 12k so the internet basicly doesnt work. or we get charged 15cents-$1permb over its crazy! so then im screwed. only  like 1 playstation game per month max. and i cant get it when it comes out i have 2 w8 like a day or so.

Playstation G.A.P. Member.Lives in the land down under (Australia).PSU Since 07 GAP Since07
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 139 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1188 posts

Jan 1, 2009

Well maybe if the games weren't $50-$60 at a shot, we wouldn't have to buy them used. I can see paying the money (reluctantly) for a game we really want but after a while it gets really expensive.

This sounds like crap to me. I remember SNES games getting really expensive when I was a kid and that was before the whole used game craze. The spike in used game sales didn't up the prices of new games. The developers' greed is what fueled the used game craze. They have it backwards.

Please use plain text.
Message 140 of 142 (4 Views)
0 Likes