Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 07 2008
By: etempest Treasure Hunter 5985 posts

Slow Death of E3... serveral publishers will not attend

9 replies 6 views Edited May 7, 2008
Source: http://www.techspot.com/news/29929-e3-loses-support-from-major-publishers.html

E3 loses support from major publishers
By Jose Vilches, TechSpot.com
Published: May 5, 2008, 5:15 PM EST

E3 loses support from major publishers The Electronic Entertainment Expo, otherwise known as E3, used to be the single biggest gaming event and conference in the world. Times have changed though, and E3 has been struggling lately to remain significant in the industry following its decision two years ago to stop accepting public attendees to become more of an invite-only show.

E3 will take place this July 15 through 17 at the Los Angeles Convention Center, but now a handful of studios have opted out of displaying at this year’s expo. Studios dropping out of the show include NCSoft, Foundation 9, Her Interactive, Vivendi, and Activision – with the latter two dropping out of the Entertainment Software Association altogether.

The studios cite timing of development cycles and investor relations as the reasons for pulling out, though some are pointing their fingers at discontent with new ESA head Mike Gallagher as the reason behind the falling support of E3. Whatever the reason, it'll be interesting to see how much buzz this year’s E3 can generate now that some big names will be missing from the show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

E3 use to be the big show for all new games, and system that targeted the industry. It grew to be very difficult and was scaled back dramaticly to focus on the game industry to be able to attened, not so much "gamers" attending.
Games PS1 (100+), PS2 (140+), PS3 (100+), PSP (34+)
My PS3 Website - http://sites.google.com/site/etempestps3/
Message 1 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2086 posts

Re: Slow Death of E3... serveral publishers will not attend

May 7, 2008
its sad when you think about it owell i guess
MAGIC MAGIC NINJAZ WHAT!
Message 2 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41067 posts

May 7, 2008
Sooner or later, people won't care altogether about E3 if it keeps losing support like this.  You think back to how big it was in the past and look at it now.

Most publishers now seem to be looking at hosting their own events.  They don't have to worry about public attendance and keep it strictly to the industry.  Sony's Gamer's Day, Namco-Bandai's Editor's Day, Ubi Days, etc. are examples of this.

However, we still have Tokyo Game Show and Leipzig Games Convention as far as general trade shows go (personally, I look forward to TGS the most each year).

Message 3 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3449 posts

May 7, 2008

I am sad to see this happen, but it was really inevitable. I remember hearing Kojima bash E3 at the Sony E3 press conference last year. That's never a good sign. If E3 does go the way of the dinosaur, I will surely miss it. Hopefully something can be done to save it before it is too late.

I do look forward to TGS this year though. I expect it to be great as usual.

Message 4 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15052 posts

May 7, 2008

Chris Rah Osiris wrote:

I am sad to see this happen, but it was really inevitable. I remember hearing Kojima bash E3 at the Sony E3 press conference last year. That's never a good sign. If E3 does go the way of the dinosaur, I will surely miss it. Hopefully something can be done to save it before it is too late.

Funny how he doesn't bash TGS, but I guess since it's on his own territory he doesn't care.
Tired of run of the mill Sega Forums? Join Sonic Blast with lots of discussion about Sega and Video Games.(Click the pics)

Message 5 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41067 posts

May 7, 2008

Tiz a cool handle wrote:

Chris Rah Osiris wrote:

Funny how he doesn't bash TGS, but I guess since it's on his own territory he doesn't care.

The only thing I recall Kojima saying last year about E3 is something along the lines of "I want my E3 back" because that was the first year it was down-sized.

When Kojima spoke at the Sony conference earlier in the day, he appeared alongside a translator. That's typical. What happened at Konami, however, was not. Kojima took to the stage by himself and gave a short speech completely in English, where he described the process of arriving at this year's E3. Initially, he was told not to appear by friends because the show had been downgraded, but changed his mind.

Why? Because he'd apparently met a number of good friends while attending E3 and thought the show was a worldwide "festival" for games. Following that, Kojima essentially said in no uncertain terms that the new E3 is a complete bust. He wasn't kind, seeming to imply he only came as a courtesy -- not because he likes the new E3.

In fact, Kojima asked for a return to the old E3. Will it happen? Sorry, Hideo, probably not.

1UP

It wasn't really a bash, but a plea for it to return to the yesteryears.  Who can blame him?  When we got news that E3 was going to be downsized, many of us knew it was for the worst but some were saying it would run better.  Now you look and see some developers just not showing up, others pulling out altogether, and developers speaking out against the new E3.

Message 6 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2875 posts

May 7, 2008
they shouldn't of changed it too much including the location, now they shot themselves in the foot for it.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4068 posts

May 7, 2008
Sounds like the beginning of the end for E3. I personally have not been to any shows but enjoy checking out all the interesting info on new and up coming games on the internet. As for the new direction that E3 took last year...I have never attended so it does not affect me. But it sure has affected my chances of someday going to an E3 show. I believe that these shows should focus on us...THE GAMERS. We are the ones that these shows should be put on for. We are the ones buying all the games and the consoles anyways. That's my opinion anyways.
Message Edited by Caribbean CLANK on 05-07-2008 04:25 PM
Message 8 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2200 posts

May 7, 2008

TGS > E3

TGS is now so much better than E3 its unreal!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Disreguard my PSN id its really z-spec
Message 9 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3129 posts

May 7, 2008

Tiz a cool handle wrote:

Chris Rah Osiris wrote:

Uhm why would he "bash" TGS? What happened to E3 didn't happen to TGS. E3 was downsized and isolated from the public. Making E3 completely different from the year before. So no it's not because "it's in his own territory".

Message 10 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes