Reply
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/15/2007
Offline
300 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 25, 2010

Enzo_man wrote:
I think that the Olympics and all professional sports should be done away with.  They're the biggest waste of time and money in existence.  It's the dopiest idea ever to bring nation "together" in order to compete and prove who's the best... total BS.  All that money should be used for better more worthwhile endeavors.

Are you aware sports use to be entertainment before it became competitive?  Looks like you had problem with playing sport in your school.

 


 

no absolutly not. never. this is just as stupid as chess being in the olympics. i got a question, do you know what follows the word olympic? the answer is SPORT. now i know there is some confusion with people thinking chess, board games and video games but let me make it clear, these are not sports. the people who do these are not athletes. thats all i need to see when the interviewer the questioning the player, "gee that was some awesome gaming what is your training scheldule like?" the reply: "well i ahhh eat chips have a few beers and sit on the couch all day long, bob."

 

these people who take part are called olympic athletes. and athlete is not someone who sits on the couch and play video games all day or board games. they're out at the gym doing exercies to build up muscle so they can do the sport they participate in.


 

Densetsu, are you aware Chess has been recognized as a sport by the IOC.  oh, guess accroding to your logic.  The IOC should be hated and nobody should watch the olympic because of that.  Geez, not all video gamer are like fat and something like that.  Actually most fat people probably wouldn't be involved with this kind of stuff.

 

I knew this was a bad idea to make this topic.  Although this question has pop up again and again.  Look if Chess has been declared as sport by the IOC.  Does that mean people who play Chess are not athletic and fat as gamer?  Look I'm not going to bring this up again because you seem to don't know the benefit of making competitive gaming a Olympic sport.

 

-it can stop those dumb politicians and religious group from demonizing video game.  Like what are the politicians going to do? Send their special forces to kill the IOC for that.  Tell their athletes to boycott the olympic because the IOC made competitive video game a sport, and use excessive forces (put the athlete in jail, blackmail them, threaten them, or going that far to murder them).  If they ever do that, we can put those game politicians to jail for those crime.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Record Breaker
Registered: 12/14/2008
Online
4313 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 25, 2010

I didn't read all 5 pages but here goes...

 

I think the closest we'll ever get to having video gaming in the Olympics would maybe be...

 

 

thumb wrestling

 

 

 

 

Proud to be a Monkey!
 photo GTLogoMonkeySig.gif

~~~ SupaTunaGT ~~~

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 07/03/2007
Offline
2939 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 25, 2010

mikedo2007 wrote:

Enzo_man wrote:
I think that the Olympics and all professional sports should be done away with.  They're the biggest waste of time and money in existence.  It's the dopiest idea ever to bring nation "together" in order to compete and prove who's the best... total BS.  All that money should be used for better more worthwhile endeavors.

Are you aware sports use to be entertainment before it became competitive?  Looks like you had problem with playing sport in your school.


no absolutly not. never. this is just as stupid as chess being in the olympics. i got a question, do you know what follows the word olympic? the answer is SPORT. now i know there is some confusion with people thinking chess, board games and video games but let me make it clear, these are not sports. the people who do these are not athletes. thats all i need to see when the interviewer the questioning the player, "gee that was some awesome gaming what is your training scheldule like?" the reply: "well i ahhh eat chips have a few beers and sit on the couch all day long, bob."

 

these people who take part are called olympic athletes. and athlete is not someone who sits on the couch and play video games all day or board games. they're out at the gym doing exercies to build up muscle so they can do the sport they participate in.


 

Densetsu, are you aware Chess has been recognized as a sport by the IOC.  oh, guess accroding to your logic.  The IOC should be hated and nobody should watch the olympic because of that.  Geez, not all video gamer are like fat and something like that.  Actually most fat people probably wouldn't be involved with this kind of stuff.

 

I knew this was a bad idea to make this topic.  Although this question has pop up again and again.  Look if Chess has been declared as sport by the IOC.  Does that mean people who play Chess are not athletic and fat as gamer?  Look I'm not going to bring this up again because you seem to don't know the benefit of making competitive gaming a Olympic sport.

 

-it can stop those dumb politicians and religious group from demonizing video game.  Like what are the politicians going to do? Send their special forces to kill the IOC for that.  Tell their athletes to boycott the olympic because the IOC made competitive video game a sport, and use excessive forces (put the athlete in jail, blackmail them, threaten them, or going that far to murder them).  If they ever do that, we can put those game politicians to jail for those crime.


 

lol ok so the ioc recgonized the fide as the international federation governing of chess. but chess is still not allowed in the olympics as of yet and is not yet an olympic sport.

 

and no competitive gaming still should not be a olympic sport purely off the fact that you want it to be one just to shut people up. that alone is a sad reasoning why it should be a sport. which it is not. dude and by the last sentence you need a chill pill man. seriously go take one. alright. go outside (you've seen that before right?) take a breath of fresh air and interact with people.

 

i play games. i have since i was the age of 4. i been playing since nes. i have owned a nes, snes, sega genisis, ps1, ps2, ps3, x360, gbp, gba, ds, and a psp. so im in no way against the gaming comunity but, its not a sport. as i said with other things just because there are compititions does not make it a sport. theres a compition for nearly anything we do in life. and over half of them are not a sport.

 

gaming will be accepted in the world in due time and making it apart of the olympics just to shut people up is not the right reason for it to be in there. do you think any of the olympic sports are in their to shut people up? no they are not.

 

not everybody is fat or nerdy to be playing video games or chess. but it was to make a point. there is more of that type then athletic type who does olympics. sure enough i play chess, i play video games, but am i athletic no am i out of shape sorta but not fat or anything and my brother who is in shape who is athletic plays very little games but still plays games and chess. but there are many who don't.

 

and competive gaming in my area well its not a pretty sight.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/21/2006
Offline
224 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 26, 2010

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Enzo_man wrote:
I think that the Olympics and all professional sports should be done away with.  They're the biggest waste of time and money in existence.  It's the dopiest idea ever to bring nation "together" in order to compete and prove who's the best... total BS.  All that money should be used for better more worthwhile endeavors.

What do you care? The money isn't coming out of YOUR pocket.

 

There's always this thing that non-sports fans have where they claim it's a "waste of time and money". You know what? What if somebody said video games, music, movies, or art is a waste of time and money? You can EASILY make that argument. 

 

The current discussion aside, anything that brings people TOGETHER (and I know that's a strange word to many gamers) is worthwhile. Be it sports or anything else. 

 


Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 02-21-2010 05:49 PM

Perhaps I should have expanded my post... Sports and athletics in general I do NOT think are a waste of time and money- PROFESSIONAL sports wastes millions to promote grown people chasing a ball around.  I think professional video gaming is also was waste of money as well.  If it's "professional" then I think the sport is a waste of time and money.  I'd much rather play basketball and baseball (which I LOVE!!) than watch others do it.  I'm lucky enough to live in a city that has a nice basketball court indoors and out and an amazing baseball diamond (among other sporting areas) that anyone can come and play at.  I can guarantee that any sports fan (that can keep their breath walking up the stairs) prefers actually playing than watching.  It's cheaper owning a football and playing with your buddies than buying an NFL ticket and you'll have more fun!
 And why would I care you ask?  It's my conviction that pro sports are a waste.  That's why.  My opinions matter to me as I'm sure yours matters to you.  Why would you care or not for anything if it doesn't cost you a dime (gaming, neighbors, friends, Mac vs PC, etc)?  I feel that the money from pro sports and whoever hosts the Olympics, at any given year, could use the cash for more worthwhile things, such as improving cities, better infrastructure, healthcare... the list goes on.  If you prefer watching over playing then more power to you.

 

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
23867 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 26, 2010

Enzo_man wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Enzo_man wrote:
I think that the Olympics and all professional sports should be done away with.  They're the biggest waste of time and money in existence.  It's the dopiest idea ever to bring nation "together" in order to compete and prove who's the best... total BS.  All that money should be used for better more worthwhile endeavors.

What do you care? The money isn't coming out of YOUR pocket.

 

There's always this thing that non-sports fans have where they claim it's a "waste of time and money". You know what? What if somebody said video games, music, movies, or art is a waste of time and money? You can EASILY make that argument. 

 

The current discussion aside, anything that brings people TOGETHER (and I know that's a strange word to many gamers) is worthwhile. Be it sports or anything else. 

 


Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 02-21-2010 05:49 PM

Perhaps I should have expanded my post... Sports and athletics in general I do NOT think are a waste of time and money- PROFESSIONAL sports wastes millions to promote grown people chasing a ball around.  I think professional video gaming is also was waste of money as well.  If it's "professional" then I think the sport is a waste of time and money.  I'd much rather play basketball and baseball (which I LOVE!!) than watch others do it.  I'm lucky enough to live in a city that has a nice basketball court indoors and out and an amazing baseball diamond (among other sporting areas) that anyone can come and play at.  I can guarantee that any sports fan (that can keep their breath walking up the stairs) prefers actually playing than watching.  It's cheaper owning a football and playing with your buddies than buying an NFL ticket and you'll have more fun!
 And why would I care you ask?  It's my conviction that pro sports are a waste.  That's why.  My opinions matter to me as I'm sure yours matters to you.  Why would you care or not for anything if it doesn't cost you a dime (gaming, neighbors, friends, Mac vs PC, etc)?  I feel that the money from pro sports and whoever hosts the Olympics, at any given year, could use the cash for more worthwhile things, such as improving cities, better infrastructure, healthcare... the list goes on.  If you prefer watching over playing then more power to you.

 


Corporate sponsors pay for the Olympics. The idea was to bring the world together every for years to celebrate peace through athletic competition. It's not up to corporations to "improve infrastructure". That comes from tax dollars. The Olympics, like it or not, are big business. Cities line up and trip over themselves to host them because of the money that it will bring and the jobs that they create. Do you think those stadiums and Olympic Villages just appear out of nowhere? Of course not. Those are built by PEOPLE. 

 

And I don't think it's fair that you stereotype sports fans as being fat and out of shape. I can make the same assumption about you because you play video games. Worse, I can call you a socially awkward recluse who shivers in fear when women try to speak to him, who has to attempt lord his mental superiority anonymously over the internet.  

 

By the same token, would you call going to the movies a "waste of time"? Or surfing the internet? Or playing video games? Surely it's more fun actually playing REAL sports than it is playing a virtual representation of them? You can make that argument even more easily than you can the one about pro-sports. If somebody wants to pay LeBron James or Sydney Crosby millions of dollars to "chase a ball around" (or in Sydney Crosby's case slap the puck) then don't begrudge them that right. It's a form of entertainment. By the same token, I'm sure you don't begrudge Tom Cruise or whoever for making millions to make a movie, or make the claim that his salary should be "better spent".

 

All societies have engaged in athletic competition. Most competitions have military origins. Sports like fencing, the biathlon, archery, and many track and field events were originally forms of military combat. Greece gave us the Olympics, Rome gave us the gladitorial contests, Europe gave us soccer, and we have pro basketball, baseball, and football. The other thing about pro-sports is that it brings people together (again, I know a strange word for gamers). It becomes a shared experience. If I say "Reggie Jackson" to a Yankee fan or "Willis Reed" to a Knicks fan, no matter where we are in the world, we instantly know what we're talking about. You are a part of something BIGGER than yourself. There's a bond amongst fans, something that you don't understand because you think it's a "waste of time". There's tradition, there's history. A commonality that runs through ALL fans. 

 

Incidently, the majority of the athletes at the Olympics are AMATEURS. They aren't being paid for their time. In the US most of the athletes have to hold down full time jobs to train just so they can AFFORD to compete. There's not a lot of money in ski jumping or curling in this country. So this would seem to completely invalidate your argument.  

 

Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 02-25-2010 07:29 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 10/14/2008
Offline
374 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 26, 2010
This would be extremely fun and entertaining to watch however this is not the place at all for gaming lol. In my eyes the olympics are for countries to show off athleticism and skill. Cool idea but not for the olympics. This will also never happen i would bet.
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 10/14/2008
Offline
374 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 26, 2010

mikedo2007 wrote:


That's what many people said about Curling, it's not even a sport but it became part of the Olympic (How is scrubbing a floor to get the stone on the spot a sport).  What about Synchronizing Swimming, and Rhythmic gymnastic?  They aren't even real sport but the IOC added them on their sport list.  Explain that.  Also, when I watch Luge, Skeleton, and Bobsleding, it didn't even look like a sport to me (how is sliding down and try to beat the other competitor's time a sport).  Who said the Olympic has to be athletic (look at Curling, a sport!!??).  Also, DDR is also a sport in one European countries (I forgot which one).  Most sport are mental, not only physical.  Gaming is mostly mental (you don't need physical to make it a sport).  As I mention, I'm not making competitive gaming a summer or Winter Olympic.  I want it as another form of Olympic for competitive gaming.  Didn't you read my post earlier??  I want the IOC to form another Olympic dedicated to competitive gaming.  I don't care if the IOC lose credibility, they already had share of controversies.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_scandals_and_controversies

 

Skateboarding and Snowboarding should not be a sport.  So by your logic, we should not have any sport at olympic at all.   

Message Edited by mikedo2007 on 02-19-2010 11:40 PM

unfortuantely mikedo, all those sports you mentioned that are in the olympics, require more skill and athleticism than you might think (yes, even curling). And even if you don't think so, you certainly can't say gaming requires athleticism. Captain Albator, i think this would offend a lot of people. If they did this then all sorts of things would become olympic games like chess or monopoly. that just wont happen. also gaming is a little different. If im on a good day, with a little luck, i could beat a professional gamer in MW2. I know i probably would not, but gaming is inconsistent like that. But there is no way in hell I would be able to get on a snowboard and just make it down the course without breaking my legs

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/12/2005
Offline
111 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 26, 2010
YES, It takes skills to be good at gaming, We have to train our selfs daily. Just go and play a game online and not with your friends, not all of the time you will play with people that are not good but you will play with them to much.
+LAWZ+DANNY
TEAM PLAYER
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/31/2009
Offline
199 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 26, 2010
this is a horrible idea, the olympics are about being fit. whats fit about moving youre thumbs only for hours of a time?
mdh287
Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 02/10/2008
Offline
833 posts
 

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 26, 2010

LAWZ-DANNY wrote:
YES, It takes skills to be good at gaming, We have to train our selfs daily. Just go and play a game online and not with your friends, not all of the time you will play with people that are not good but you will play with them to much.

 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 52 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes