Survivor
2939 posts

Re: Should competitive gaming be part of the Olympic?

Feb 21, 2010

no absolutly not. never. this is just as stupid as chess being in the olympics. i got a question, do you know what follows the word olympic? the answer is SPORT. now i know there is some confusion with people thinking chess, board games and video games but let me make it clear, these are not sports. the people who do these are not athletes. thats all i need to see when the interviewer the questioning the player, "gee that was some awesome gaming what is your training scheldule like?" the reply: "well i ahhh eat chips have a few beers and sit on the couch all day long, bob."

these people who take part are called olympic athletes. and athlete is not someone who sits on the couch and play video games all day or board games. they're out at the gym doing exercies to build up muscle so they can do the sport they participate in.

here in case your special or something and don't know the meaning of athlete i wiki'ed it for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlete

notice how gaming is not in there? do you know why because gaming is not a sport. just because there is a compitition does not make it a sport. there are designer compititions, singing compititions, dancing compititions, eating compititions, car racing compitions, but you know what not one of those is a athletic sport. the only thing in that list that is technically a sport is race car driving and only the south consider it a sport.

if anythign of what i listed is ever in the olympics then it will be the end of the world. i have nothing against gaming but the thought of it being in the olympics just says how fat the world is coming to and how far down we as a species is falling.

Message 31 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2984 posts

Feb 21, 2010
I have to say absouloutly not i love gaming but i dont see where it has any place in the olympics.
Message 32 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7225 posts

Feb 21, 2010
Video games as an olympic sport, I don't think so. There's nothing physical about it and exercising your thumbs doesn't count as physical. Even if IOC makes a new Olympics for Chess, Checkers, Dominoes, and other logical games. Video games doesn't even fall into that catergory. Anyone can be good in video games just by playing video games over and over again. So video games as an olympic sport, no.
MimiPRGameFreak Trophy Card
Message 33 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1227 posts

Feb 21, 2010
You know how stupid your question is? Nah, you probably dont, its on a far greater scale.
My Rig:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB
6GB Ram
Seagate Barracuda 750GB
Message 34 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Yeah get Scrabble and Clue in there too...Why not Poker?...

seriously?

Game Photography:
http://s617.photobucket.com/home/JoeDuke4/index

Homemade fightscene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjErlHH21sA

'Fortune Favours the Bold'
Message 35 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11923 posts

Feb 21, 2010

densetsu86 wrote:

thats all i need to see when the interviewer the questioning the player, "gee that was some awesome gaming what is your training scheldule like?" the reply: "well i ahhh eat chips have a few beers and sit on the couch all day long, bob."

You have no idea how much work it actually takes to compete in competitive video game leagues, especially for Counter Strike. If you train just by sitting around eating and drinking, you won't even make it to the first heat. Hell, you won't even make it past public matches.

Message 36 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Feb 21, 2010
I think that the Olympics and all professional sports should be done away with.  They're the biggest waste of time and money in existence.  It's the dopiest idea ever to bring nation "together" in order to compete and prove who's the best... total BS.  All that money should be used for better more worthwhile endeavors.
Message 37 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Feb 21, 2010

It is an insult to all real athletes. Video games are not sport. Video games are recreation and a hobby.

If it were introduced it would be the only "sport" where you got better from lack of exercize.

Message 38 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28062 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Enzo_man wrote:
I think that the Olympics and all professional sports should be done away with.  They're the biggest waste of time and money in existence.  It's the dopiest idea ever to bring nation "together" in order to compete and prove who's the best... total BS.  All that money should be used for better more worthwhile endeavors.

What do you care? The money isn't coming out of YOUR pocket.

There's always this thing that non-sports fans have where they claim it's a "waste of time and money". You know what? What if somebody said video games, music, movies, or art is a waste of time and money? You can EASILY make that argument. 

The current discussion aside, anything that brings people TOGETHER (and I know that's a strange word to many gamers) is worthwhile. Be it sports or anything else. 

Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 02-21-2010 05:49 PM
Message 39 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
883 posts

Feb 22, 2010
NOOOOOOOO!!!! The Olympics are about athleticism and physical fitenss. Gaming that's not.
"Now you'll see what will be blinded eyes to see."

Get your Portable ID!

"Now you'll see what will be, blinded eyes to see."
Message 40 of 52 (11 Views)
0 Likes