Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 30 2009
By: JSC31994 Lombax Warrior 119 posts

SONY should buy RAREWARE imo

17 replies 192 views Edited Nov 30, 2009

All I want is a downloadable version of the Banjo Kazooie games on PSN with enhanced grafix (but not HD just more detail and less squarish)

Is that so much to ask lol.

Message 1 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28732 posts

Re: SONY should buy RAREWARE imo

Nov 30, 2009
Message 2 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
263 posts

Nov 30, 2009

eagles1990 wrote:
I think M$ owns Rare

They do sadly......

Message 3 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9672 posts

Nov 30, 2009
M$ bought Rareware back in 2004 I think not sure on the year.
Message 4 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 30, 2009

I really do not see what the BFD is about Rare. I thought the Banjo Kazooie games (along with DKC) were the most boring and tedious platformers of all time. Jet Force Gemini was mediocre at best, and while Goldeneye was good at the time, it has aged horribly, along with Perfect Dark. Don't get me started on the crapfest that was Perfect Dark Zero...

Sorry to be so abrasive, I know a lot of people like Rare's body of work, I just never have. 

Message 5 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2127 posts

Nov 30, 2009

RobotViking wrote:

I really do not see what the BFD is about Rare. I thought the Banjo Kazooie games (along with DKC) were the most boring and tedious platformers of all time. Jet Force Gemini was mediocre at best, and while Goldeneye was good at the time, it has aged horribly, along with Perfect Dark. Don't get me started on the crapfest that was Perfect Dark Zero...

Sorry to be so abrasive, I know a lot of people like Rare's body of work, I just never have. 

I'm on the same boat.  It's not so much that I can't stand Rare, I'm just indifferent to whatever their releases are (I have the same attitude towards Valve).  Banjo Kazooie has never interested me, and likely never will.  I'm not big on FPS games so I didn't care for Goldeneye or Perfect Dark.  To be frank, I only heard about Perfect Dark because a few people over on the Xbox.com Forums mention an Xbox LIVE Arcade release soon.  The only Rare title that I had any sort of interest in (and this was lukewarm) was Kameo:  Elements of Power.

I've come across a few Rare fanboys who "oooh" and "aaah" about everything Rare.  From an outsider's perspective, it would appear that Rare makes "OK" games --- just nothing amazing or worth writing home about.  Long story short, Sony isn't missing anything by not having Rare and I doubt there would be any significant impact (if any at all) had Rare been multiplatform.

Message 6 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6810 posts

Nov 30, 2009

mmmig wrote:

RobotViking wrote:

I'm on the same boat.  It's not so much that I can't stand Rare, I'm just indifferent to whatever their releases are (I have the same attitude towards Valve).  Banjo Kazooie has never interested me, and likely never will.  I'm not big on FPS games so I didn't care for Goldeneye or Perfect Dark.  To be frank, I only heard about Perfect Dark because a few people over on the Xbox.com Forums mention an Xbox LIVE Arcade release soon.  The only Rare title that I had any sort of interest in (and this was lukewarm) was Kameo:  Elements of Power.

I've come across a few Rare fanboys who "oooh" and "aaah" about everything Rare.  From an outsider's perspective, it would appear that Rare makes "OK" games --- just nothing amazing or worth writing home about.  Long story short, Sony isn't missing anything by not having Rare and I doubt there would be any significant impact (if any at all) had Rare been multiplatform.

Sony not missing anything? Perhaps you have forgotten Rare completely dominated the industry when it was exclusively working for Nintendo. They created series like Donkey Kong, Battletoad, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, Killer Instict. Of course, things have changed. And despite their great roots, they have definitely fallen wayward and would be a pointless exclusive developer at this point.

They had a very broad range of games, though. After they left Nintendo and went with Microsoft - that's when everything started to go downhill. They should've stayed with Nintendo or gone multi-platform. Signing away those exclusive rights to M$ destroyed their potential. They never really had that large of a staff, though. Apparently the original founders of the actual company have even abandoned the smoke-wagon known has Rare.

Rare is 'meh' at best. Their prime is well-over and done with. Maybe if they signed with Sony during the days of the PS1... their fate might have been different.

.:. .:.
Message 7 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2127 posts

Nov 30, 2009

xC2x wrote:
Sony not missing anything? Perhaps you have forgotten Rare completely dominated the industry when it was exclusively working for Nintendo. They created series like Donkey Kong, Battletoad, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, Killer Instict. Of course, things have changed. And despite their great roots, they have definitely fallen wayward and would be a pointless exclusive developer at this point.

They had a very broad range of games, though. After they left Nintendo and went with Microsoft - that's when everything started to go downhill. They should've stayed with Nintendo or gone multi-platform. Signing away those exclusive rights to M$ destroyed their potential. They never really had that large of a staff, though. Apparently the original founders of the actual company have even abandoned the smoke-wagon known has Rare.

Rare is 'meh' at best. Their prime is well-over and done with. Maybe if they signed with Sony during the days of the PS1... their fate might have been different.

So what exactly was the point of your post?  You start off by reminding me of how great Rare was (key word being "was") and then end it with saying that Rare is "meh" at best (which is exactly what I was saying in the first place).

I'm perfectly aware that they had recognizeable games a few years back.  What you didn't catch is that firstly, everything Rare did wasn't of any interest or consequence to me and secondly, as you mentioned, their best days have come and gone.  We're talking in terms of the present day and that's why I concluded my post by saying that Sony has nothing significant to gain by buying Rare and isn't losing anything by not having Rare under their umbrella.

Message 8 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1978 posts

Nov 30, 2009

It was a sad day to see Rareware get purchased like it did. I still own my N64 and a handful of Rare games.

Then again, the same might be said for some of the Devs Sony has gotten......Naughty Dog is a most equitable trade-off for Rare.......even though i love both companies.

Message 9 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2158 posts

Nov 30, 2009

Banjo Kazooie was the ****. Tooie wasn't as good but I liked Rare.

Rare made a lot of good games.

Banjo Kazooie

Diddy Kong Racing

Killer Instinct

Perfect Dark--- wasn't that good but playing with 4 friends was a blast.

Donkey Kong Games

RIP SOCOM
2002-2006
Message 10 of 18 (192 Views)
0 Likes