Sackboy
561 posts

Re: Quantic Dream's New Tech Demo - Kara

Mar 13, 2012

Quantic is one of the game companies I keep an eye on to produce really deep games.

We all have caught outrselves buying a game ... on release day... at midnight... and at around 6 am we realize we are minutes away from having burned through the whole 60 dollar game in less than a day

Heavy Rain is one of my fave games that I can't play all at once. The depth and look of the game make non stop gaming counter productive. You follow the story so closely you miss control cues. I can go about two hours on heavy rain before the weight of information and visual overload start making it hard to concentrate or keep track of what I am doing.

I play Rock Band 3 for 9 hours at a time.

Whatever they have planned for this new underlying engine I can't wait. I will be there day one to take it home and covet it like all the Quatic games.

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 10 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
849 posts

Mar 13, 2012

I saw the video earlier int he week when they start to assemble her..

WOW! it was amazing! "speak German< Speak French< Sing a song in Japanese!" DAMn it was cool! I felt it..

Message 11 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Yeah, I loved Heavy Rain, and I really wish that I had played Indigo Prophecy.

I'm looking forward to whatever they will use this for as well.

although I suppose that will still be several years away won't it.

Message 12 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
41504 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

although I suppose that will still be several years away won't it.

Maybe, maybe not?  Kara was done roughly a year ago and they're currently on revision 3 of said engine.  I remember reading on GAF that QD was possibly supposed to even show this/something at last year's E3 (which would probably explain it being a year old).  So if they've spent the past year working on their next title alongside refining the engine, we could possibly see something as early as this E3/Gamescom and it could hit sometime next year.

I figure QD's title will be part of the final 'big' titles from Sony before moving onto Next-Gen/PS4.  We know ND is possibly part of that with TLOU so having QD there and maybe 3 or so more big titles within the next year and a half or so sounds about right if all their teams haven't moved on yet (or are in pre-production).  Wonder what Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, Guerilla, and Santa Monica is up to.

Message 13 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Mar 14, 2012

True fair enough.

I know the PS3 is what six(ish) years old now, but am I the only one that feels like they are rushing into the next generation.

It feels like devs are really just now getting a handle on the system, and that it has a lot more potential. 

I'd much rather see more QUALITY games be released on this system, than go into the next generation, only for development times to be made even longer for some new system, and go through the whole cycle of very few good games amidst, less appealing games again.

IDK it just feels to soon for "next gen"

Message 14 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41504 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Well we have to realize that if a new set of systems come out, Sony would still get the short end of the stick.  If the studios are working with some better hardware (GPU, CPU, RAM) and said developers have never gotten the best out of the PS3 in this gen (1st party studios have shown what the console is capable of), I don't see many really pushing the PS3 any further when new hardware is out.  I know the big publishers will still release a few titles on the current hardware and niche studios will probably hang around as well cause of the install base and waiting for the new consoles to get a footing.

The thing I'm wondering though is where does Sony go with the PS4?  Do they still use the Cell so their studios can go into the PS4 knowing the ins & outs with their engines from the PS3 and build on that straight out the gate (and avoiding that learning period)?  This would also help 3rd parties that had to learn the system this gen (and struggled with it) but if Sony and their 1st party studios refined the tools to make it easier for 3rd parties and took away some of the supposed bottlenecks (split RAM of 256MB), then I think there would be an easier transition for Sony and their studios.  I mean, if QD has spent the past 2 years or so on a new engine, I would think they'd want to get a lot of use out of it.  Then again, since Sony and developers have gone on about how easy it is to port code to the Vita from the PS3 which I know doesn't use a Cell, maybe Sony has it in mind to go with a similar approach with the PS4 so developers can easily port/upgrade their engines from the PS3 to the PS4?

But new hardware would hopefully bring new aspects to games.  I'd like to see less of an entire focus on pushing graphics and more on AI and environmental interaction and such.  I don't know.  Going into the next gen and having nothing but prettier 'Shooters' isn't something I'm looking forward to.  Plus, some publishers/studios wait for new gens to start new IPs so they can get them rooted going forward for sequels.  Kind of weird cause you'd think the dev costs would be higher on a newer gen of consoles compared to the 'last' gen ones but this gen has been kind of awkward in a lot of regards.

Message 15 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
849 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

True fair enough.

I know the PS3 is what six(ish) years old now, but am I the only one that feels like they are rushing into the next generation.

It feels like devs are really just now getting a handle on the system, and that it has a lot more potential. 

I'd much rather see more QUALITY games be released on this system, than go into the next generation, only for development times to be made even longer for some new system, and go through the whole cycle of very few good games amidst, less appealing games again.

IDK it just feels to soon for "next gen"

Agreed!

I've noticed the same thing like comparing the first ps3 games that came out till this date,

Its just amazing how far development has gone...

How much you can interact with the characters in game like Heavy Rain How you can change the story around , alongside Mass Effect...

Next Gen for PS3 is too soon.. Perhaps not for Microsoft Cuz i mean.. Xbox,,aint got nothin on PS3

Message 16 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Mar 15, 2012

I just think releasing a whole new gen of consoles that we know won't launch for less than 600 dollars is a bad idea, especially given that things are still recovering from the big recesion. . . .things are still very difficult for a lot of people.   I don't think ANYONE will be happy about game companies trying to get people to fork over another 600 - 1000 dollars for yet another new home console.

Message 17 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41504 posts

Mar 15, 2012

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

I just think releasing a whole new gen of consoles that we know won't launch for less than 600 dollars is a bad idea, especially given that things are still recovering from the big recesion. . . .things are still very difficult for a lot of people.   I don't think ANYONE will be happy about game companies trying to get people to fork over another 600 - 1000 dollars for yet another new home console.

I don't think Sony is going to attempt the $600 thing again and after the other 2 witnessing it, I dont' see them going near that range either.  If anything, the Vita gives you an idea probably of what they'll go for (powerful but reasonably priced and easy to develop for).  The $600 price tag and the hard/new way of development for the PS3 pretty much cost Sony the industry leader spot this gen (and with multiplatform being the norm, they didn't have the usual pull for exclusives like on the PS1 & PS2) and allowed MS to move into that position (as far as the HD consoles go).

So I think the ball park for Next-Gen consoles will be $300 at the least with $500, if that, being the extreme/top out.  Mainly though, I'm expecting $300-400 being the standard price range.  I wouldn't worry too much about it though.  Sure they may be transitioning over to another gen but we know Sony supports their hardware long after (PS2 is still kicking/selling) and if they throw another price drop at the PS3, with it's current library and upcoming titles still, support will still be there so people shouldn't have to worry about dropping another $400+ to get the new set of consoles right off the bat.  I don't see 3rd parties dropping PS3/360 support entirely either with a new set.  They'll probably end up scaling their titles across both gens.

Message 18 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41504 posts

Mar 21, 2012

Behind the Scenes video was added to the PSBlog.  Once again, they emphasis that this is *NOT* QD's next game.  Makes me think they want to mislead us...>_>:

Message 19 of 22 (63 Views)
0 Likes