Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 21 2012
By: SlashZaku PlayStation MVP 41020 posts

Quantic Dream's New Tech Demo - Kara (Update: BTS Video)

21 replies 243 views Edited Mar 21, 2012

From GDC, running on their new engine for PS3:

kara2.jpgkara1.jpgkara3.jpg

Eurogamer Article

Just to note from the article:

"Kara's the very first thing we've done with this brand new engine, so it's not optimized - it's got 50% of the features that we have right now, as Kara was done a year ago."

Update (3/21): Behind the Scenes video from the PSBlog:

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28585 posts

Re: Quantic Dream's New Tech Demo - Kara

Mar 8, 2012

I found that simply amazing, I was utterly engrossed in it from start to finish & want more, much more, David Cage did a fantastic job, the actors voices too were brilliant, I was mesmorized.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10902 posts

Mar 8, 2012

Robin Williams, eat your heart out!

Kara is engrossing as a tech demo already. Could this be the company's next game? Let's hope so.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Mar 8, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Robin Williams, eat your heart out!

Kara is engrossing as a tech demo already. Could this be the company's next game? Let's hope so.

Sadly:

“Kara” is not our next game. It’s not the character, it’s not the world, it’s not the story. …We do things in a very strange way here, things that have nothing to do with the games we make. But I think that’s a part of the DNA of the studio, and hopefully something that people like about us – they never know what they’re going to get!

PS Blog

Nice little tech demo regardless.  When the guy ordered to have her disassembled, I actually grew concerned for Kara and was happy that he allowed her through.  But you have to wonder if that was just part of the check list or not.  If she was an 'anomaly', why send her out to the wild instead of studying what made her different or hiding her away for himself?  Sad thing is this was a 'tech demo' and we won't find out those answers or what happens to her.  Maybe if there is enough feedback/reaction to the tech demo, QD would release a PSN title centered around her or something.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10902 posts

Mar 8, 2012

It seems the operator felt for her, giving in to Kara's pleas. At first you might have gotten the sense that Kara was about to throw a fit and attempt an escape. Instead, she begs for her ability to freely exist, as a technological entity that is aware of what it is and what it is capable of.

Don't think I'd want to see this as a PlayStation Network release, as the size, capacity, pricing, length, and quality are all things that come to mind for concern. Would Quantic Dream develop a fully-fleshed out PlayStation Network game, or but a brief two-hour quest as the titular Kara? Personally, I'd rather they construct an actual PlayStation 3 game out of Kara. It's small potatoes versus big... with the tech demo's impressive showing, it looks more suitable to expand upon this character and her universe with bigger ideas in mind.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28585 posts

Mar 8, 2012

As much as I reall enjoyed the video, it was all very iRobot for me too, right down to the robots abiity to have thoughts!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5821 posts

Mar 8, 2012

Didn't think of that before, but that is the same concept as IRobot, but either way the developers said that this will not be the game, so I do wonder, what game will they make with this engine.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Mar 8, 2012

Well, there were rumors earlier on about what QD's next project would be and SCEE trademarked the titled 'Infraworld', which was a former QD project that they dropped because publishers wouldn't bite:

Heavy Rain studio Quantic Dream may be working on a game called Infraworld after all.

Internet sleuth Superannuation dug up a freshly filed US trademark by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe protecting the name. It was filed on 17th May this year.

In 2006, Quantic Dream COO Guillaume de Fondaumiere told the world that Infraworld had been "cancelled". "The concept did not appeal to publishers," he explained.

Has it been resurrected? Does the concept now appeal?

Infraworld has also appeared as an Easter Egg in Quantic Dream's PS3 game Heavy Rain. The game name can be clearly read on a poster on the side of a shop. There's a video of this below.

In March this year, a trademark and domain registration arose suggesting Fiv5 may be Quantic Dream's next game.

But both Infraworld and Fiv5 could be red herrings. Quantic Dream auteur David Cage admitted last year to concocting a fake project called Horizon to "avoid leaks from actors".

David Cage has previously revealed Quantic Dream to be working on two games.

Eurogamer (Dated Aug 2011)

The names 'Infraworld' and 'Horizon' (although the latter is a fake project) + the video of 'Kara' kind of pushes the idea that they may be doing something 'sci-fi' related next up.  One of their past games, 'Omikron', was also futuristic/sci-fi themed.

So I guess it's just wait and see.  Since Kara was done last year, they could be ready to show their next project sometime soon I would guess.  Also:

"We are exclusive to Sony right now," Cage said. "We're open to all options , but again, we're not a studio driven by money. It's an important element, of course, but it's not like 'Tell me how much money you give me and I'm going to do whatever you want.' "

IGN

Wonder if Sony will pick them up.  SCE picked up Media Molecule after one game and both SCE & QD were surprised by the reception of Heavy Rain so I wonder if they'll welcome them to the WWS going forward.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Mar 10, 2012

yeah I watched this earlier.

It was really cool.   I think the story from the tech demo could make an interesting movie. . . . or game.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28585 posts

Mar 10, 2012

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

yeah I watched this earlier.

It was really cool.   I think the story from the tech demo could make an interesting movie. . . . or game.

Game, game, game....

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes