Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 26 2006
By: GuNz_52 Treasure Hunter 8817 posts

Parents and Online Gaming

26 replies 5 views Edited Sep 26, 2006
As most of you may know, many of your parents these days are concerned about playing online. Many incidents that parents read about MySpace, School Shootings, The Game "Bulley", and headline themes in the New Yourk times stating "Life is a Video Game". Now, personaly, my parents have been recently restricting me on my online gaming, and im 15!!! Its insane! But they do have a point that I undersatnd, incidents such as Jessica Jungsford where Police found in her hard drive that she was in a chat room right before she was kidnaped. My dad is also concerned what people talk about, now I can cuss around him but he doesnt like it. People online talk about a wide range of things from normal day things to sexual things that I cant go into detail. (Most of you guys know what im talking about) Personaly, I think it is wrong for a parent to let a 10 year-old kid play online in an "M" rated community. What do you belive about this topic? I mean, most of the time if people are talking about these things, I leave. Do your parents limit you on video gaming or anything?
Photobucket

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
544 posts

Re: Parents and Online Gaming

Sep 26, 2006
Well I'm 16, so my parents don't limit me in online gaming. However, people do need to start taking responsibility for themselves and not reveal their personal information on a network that can be accessed by anyone with a console and an internet connection. I think it's a smart move for parents to restrict the online gaming habits of kids under 16.
BodyBuilding Stats
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 205lbs
Bodyfat: 9%
Bench Press: 215 x 5, Max=275
Squat: 355
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1145 posts

Sep 26, 2006
Parents not only need to restrict kids, they also need to teach them not to reveal any personal information. Most of these assaults and kidnappings result from the unsafe giving away of private information.  And yes, I agree with you about not letting 10 year olds or young children play online in adult games, or maybe even all games. At this age, they are still easily influenced by the media and their peers.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8817 posts

Sep 26, 2006

AZNGangsta811 wrote:
Parents not only need to restrict kids, they also need to teach them not to reveal any personal information. Most of these assaults and kidnappings result from the unsafe giving away of private information.  And yes, I agree with you about not letting 10 year olds or young children play online in adult games, or maybe even all games. At this age, they are still easily influenced by the media and their peers.

Very nice post, 10 year olds should not be able to play online. I think only kids 13 and older should be allowed...
Photobucket

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
23949 posts

Sep 26, 2006

Gamer787 wrote:
As most of you may know, many of your parents these days are concerned about playing online. Many incidents that parents read about MySpace, School Shootings, The Game "Bulley", and headline themes in the New Yourk times stating "Life is a Video Game". Now, personaly, my parents have been recently restricting me on my online gaming, and im 15!!! Its insane! But they do have a point that I undersatnd, incidents such as Jessica Jungsford where Police found in her hard drive that she was in a chat room right before she was kidnaped. My dad is also concerned what people talk about, now I can cuss around him but he doesnt like it. People online talk about a wide range of things from normal day things to sexual things that I cant go into detail. (Most of you guys know what im talking about) Personaly, I think it is wrong for a parent to let a 10 year-old kid play online in an "M" rated community. What do you belive about this topic? I mean, most of the time if people are talking about these things, I leave. Do your parents limit you on video gaming or anything?

Nice thread!

Personally, I played M rated games when I was younger, probably started at around age 10 with GTA: Vice City :smileytongue: I really like the fact that I was exposed to this sort of cruel gameplay when I was. I haven't let it ruin my opinion on life, or made me kill anyone or do stupid things, merely fed me with knowledge about the real world.

Do I think all 10 year old can handle that? No, of course not. Not sure why I took it so easily, but a game is merely a game. Restrictions are important, especially when it comes to the internet. Children believe a lot of things they shouldn't, and can get into trouble that way.

Message Edited by chadster on 09-25-200610:05 PM

- DoubleOSpoon
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11979 posts

Sep 26, 2006
I'm 16, almost 17, and my parents don't really care about me playing games online. They don't like me to play them, but they don't really care anymore. When I first started playing though, my parents would be all over me, asking me what I'm playing, who I'm playing with, if I'm giving out where I live, and all of that stuff. I can understand why they do it, but it can really get annoying sometimes.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10038 posts

Sep 26, 2006
My parents do not restrict me on this stuff? Why? Why should they? The dangers of something happening to you are so incredibly slim, but of course the media makes internet related murders and video games related murders a lot more common than they really are. In reality, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting murdered because you were playing online video games.

||||Currently playing World of Warcraft (Rexxar) lvl 70 BE Paladin & 70 UD Mage (Lightning's Blade) |||| .
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3075 posts

Sep 26, 2006
The only problem i have with my parents on online gaming is that they need to take away my PSP becuase i play online to much nonstop.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5723 posts

Sep 26, 2006
16 and older is the way to go online I think.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3075 posts

Sep 26, 2006
i really dont think that age should really matter.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (5 Views)
0 Likes