Splicer
77 posts

Re: PS3 STOLEN? Follow these steps! Not always a "lost cause"

Jul 31, 2009

MrBrook,

It's not often you find information this helpful on these boards.  Although I knew about the serial number , Mac address and ways of tracking, I didn't know you could get the help from Sony.         With a helpful investigator, it greatly improves ones chances of recovering there stiolen property.  Thanks for posting.   If you ever play Resistance 2 look me up. 

Thanks

Stratsman

I do have one other question you may or may not know. Does your PSP and PS3 share the same MAC address thru the same router?

Message Edited by Stratsman on 07-31-2009 03:29 AM
Message Edited by Stratsman on 07-31-2009 03:39 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 80 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Aug 1, 2009

Stratsman,

No, your PSP and PS3 will have their own unique MAC address. These are addresses assigned to them by SCEJ when the items are first produced. If you have both items connected to your router, they will have their original same MAC address, and probably some generic IP address like 192.168.1.2.

That's not the address SCEA gets their hands on when they look for your MAC address. It's the single IP number provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) like Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, etc.

Trust me, there are no bad questions here........ only "tools" that don't ask the questions they need answers too, and in turn never see their property again! (joke of course).

Thanks for the post!

- Detective C.

aka- MrBook

Side Note: Good to hear the specifics on your story Choochie........shame the unit came back in "less than stellar" condition. If you ever need any other help, let me know!

Please use plain text.
Message 81 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1048 posts

Aug 1, 2009
Will do kind sir
Please use plain text.
Message 82 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 2, 2009
My PS3 as well as my 37" 1080p television and more was stolen from a break in yesterday in broad daylight.  I have not been contacted by the investigator yet, but will Sony be able to get my serial and MAC address considering the PS3 was used at the same location for over a year?  I would love for them to be able to recover all of my property but do not feel as I will.  However, I will not give up and will be contacting my investigator Monday.  Any tips from you guys I may have missed reading the posts?
Please use plain text.
Message 83 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1048 posts

Aug 2, 2009

SilentLunatic wrote:
My PS3 as well as my 37" 1080p television and more was stolen from a break in yesterday in broad daylight.  I have not been contacted by the investigator yet, but will Sony be able to get my serial and MAC address considering the PS3 was used at the same location for over a year?  I would love for them to be able to recover all of my property but do not feel as I will.  However, I will not give up and will be contacting my investigator Monday.  Any tips from you guys I may have missed reading the posts?

Contact Sony as well they have a department that deals with stolen PS3's an can trace them once the thief atttempts to log on, long as you give them your MAC ADDRESS AN IP

THATS HOW i RECOVERED ONE OF MY STOLEN CONSOLES

gOOD LUCK BRO

Please use plain text.
Message 84 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 2, 2009
Bad part is that I do not know either.  I am hoping they will be able to look it up if I registered, If they can't , this was a lesson learned the hard way for my stolen TVs, electronics, money, etc, that I will probably never get back.
Please use plain text.
Message 85 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1048 posts

Aug 2, 2009

SilentLunatic wrote:
Bad part is that I do not know either.  I am hoping they will be able to look it up if I registered, If they can't , this was a lesson learned the hard way for my stolen TVs, electronics, money, etc, that I will probably never get back.

u can get that info off your pc
Please use plain text.
Message 86 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1048 posts

Aug 2, 2009
Please use plain text.
Message 87 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 2, 2009

I bought a PS3 on ebay last week and the way it came to me makes me suspiciuos that it may be stolen : it came with no power cord, no cables and no controllers, if this was the sellers property why would he not have any peripherals for it? This seems to me the way it would be stolen from someones house as thieves rarely take the time to unhook everything, they just grab the unit and nothing else....

SO MY QUESTION IS how do I go about finding out if this has been stolen?

They didn't remove the serial number or anything but since I live in Alaska and this was shipped from Arizona they may have thought that they were safe from it flagging as stolen from 5000 miles away...

Please help me out here, I want to make sure I'm not recieving stolen property, I just wanted a good deal on a used ps3......

Please use plain text.
Message 88 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1048 posts

Aug 3, 2009
Call Sony
Please use plain text.
Message 89 of 323 (221 Views)
0 Likes