Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
3 posts

Re: PS3 STOLEN? Follow these steps! Not always a "lost cause"

Jul 6, 2009

MrBook,

Thank you very much for posting this information

My home was burglarized last Monday, the 29th. Along with other things, my PS3 was stolen. The person/persons have since singed in to my account, sometime around 4-6 yesterday morning. I will be locking the account today, and will be calling the police department again. A detective has yet to be assigned to the case, but I am gonna make sure I'm on them about it. I know this can be done, just cause it isn't a matter of national security doesn't mean people shouldn't make an effort. I fully understand murders, bank heists, etc., are more important, but that doesn't mean people like us should be pushed aside. That basically says..."It's OK to steal from peoples homes, we don't have the tiime to worry about it." Well, it's not ok!! 

Basically, I was happy to see this thread and I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for this information, and a special thanks for caring about the little guys

EDIT: I noticed on my account, it has the IP of where I last signed in from. With my previous account, the one associated with the stolen PS3, I have not signed in here. If I do that, I am assuming it will make it that much easier to get an IP address. That makes sense?

Message Edited by IamTheCreator on 07-06-2009 09:05 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Jul 6, 2009

IamTheCreator,

Thanks for posting, and I completely agree with you on your line of thinking (hopefully other law enforcement reps do as well).

Regarding whether your IP will be locked in (fearful of loosing or gain information), I wouldn't necessarily worry. Make notes of all information you come across, and keep it ready to give to whatever officer is handling your case. In the end (regardless if you the "bad guys IP address), police officers still need to go through the proper channels in order to exercise information gathering, which leads to a subpoena, search authorization, or arrest warrant. So if a police officer took an IP gained by you or a third party, conducted a generic IP search, found the ISP and general location, drew up a subpoena for someone personal information based on the information provided by you.... the judge would laugh his/her arse off (or if he/she signed it, would be fired). It's like violating someone's privacy based on an accusation and no probable cause / evidence. The officer must establish the theft, establish location, means, a form of malicious intent or criminal activity, and his/her findings must be verifiable. Basically, law enforcement must get this information themselves from SCEA, and from the local ISP in order to cover everyone's buttocks's later in court!

Secondly, as long as your account does not contain any personal information or credit card data, I personally wouldn't lock/delete the account. Chances are the unbeknownst user (whether it is the criminal themselves or the hapless kid who bought it on Craigslist) they probably do not realize they are "auto" logging in. Which leads the new users course of action toward other "options" that may later benefit law enforcement (ie- they enter their credit card info).

In the end SCEA can restore any information altered or downloaded (assuming said event happens), so I wouldn't necessarily be so hard pressed to lock the account just yet. Especially if it means you might receive your PS3 soon, rather than later (or not at all in a worse scenario situation).

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to post them here, or PM in private if you feel the world may not necessarily need to know said information.

Thanks for the post, and good luck on getting your PS3 returned!

- Detective C.

PSN - MrBook

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1579 posts

Jul 6, 2009

MrBook wrote:

TwiztedR3Head,

Depends.........

When did you file the police report? Did you file a police report?

Too many questions, based on too many probabilities. If you'd like, shoot me a PM, and throw out some additional information. I'm sure I can point you in the right direction.

- Detective C.

PSN - MrBook

last year the same time i got robbed

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Jul 8, 2009

Well..... time and dates don't always matter, but it better assists you when filing a police report. As long as you loosely followed the steps mentioned above, than you should be ok. Though I would think if you already provided your serial number (perhaps MAC address as well) that your case officer would be "on it".

Since it's possible they are not aware of these actions, contact them again, and ask them if they are aware SCEA can track PS3 systems to a degree. He/she may not know this, so it couldn't hurt to humor a "cold case" so to speak. Good luck, and PM or post if you have any other questions!

- Detective C.

PSN - MrBook

Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3919 posts

Jul 8, 2009
Since a long time has gone by.. Has anyone recovered there stolen ps3 using his advice?
sniper4ever76
Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Jul 9, 2009

PSNsniper, 

A few have, but oddly enough no one has posted any follow-ups. I've received a few PM's stating positive response, and or recovery, but everytime I post encouragement to "tell ones tale"..... no one seems too.

Although this reads as "advice", I can assure you it's standard procedure. Anyone who hasn't followed these steps, or had their assigned police officer follow these steps is simply put "unaware". Hence the thread, and the force fed pieces of information.

I mean...... cops play video games and post on forums too you know!

- Detective C.

PSN - MrBook

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 22, 2009

Friend of mine just had his PS3 stolen. Lucky for us, the perp just logged in.

I'm working with him and his detective exactly as you have outlined. I'll post the results here. 

No MAC address and no serial number. If this works, it will be epic.

MrBook, if complications arise, expect a PM from me. There shouldn't be any problems though. I used to work for the DA in Conroe, TX. I know some cops can be a bit lazy... Just gotta keep reminding them. Good news/Bad news though is that the perp stole quite a bit from my friend. Over 3,000 bucks worth PLUS robbed other homes. 

I knew he/she would log in though eventually. I checked it everyday. 

If anyone has their PS3 stolen, don't fret. Burglars aren't too bright gererally. 

MrBook, I appreciate what you've done here. Let's play some COD4 sometime

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Jul 22, 2009

hey good luck STANGMMX, I hope the PD comes through for you.

Please keep us updated on how it goes.

Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Jul 22, 2009

STANGMMX,

Sorry to hear about your friends loss, but hopefully the detective assigned will give it his/her best! I hate to sound doubtful, but without the MAC address or serial number it will be a little harder to track the person back to their current location. As you clearly read too, there's a multitude of ways one can go about retrieving either or! So I'll keep my fingers crossed, and if you need to send a PM.... go for it! I usually check this board or my messages a few times a week.

- Detective C.

aka- MrBook

Side Note: Lately I've been playing the PSN downloadable "Battlefield 1943". It's incredibly addictive, so you may find me on there in lieu of COD4.

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1048 posts

Jul 22, 2009

This helped me to obtain the MAC address

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-Address-of-Your-Computer

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 323 (240 Views)
0 Likes