Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Re: no doubt here, I sell nothing but the truth

Mar 21, 2009

this is exactly how i got my system back!!! i had it stolen over a month ago and i only knew a couple of things.  they logged onto my account at their location.  and that sony had my systems serial number from when i registered the system online.  how they found it was i pushed the pd to get in contact with sony and ask for the ip address on the date they logged on.

the pd finally did and how they caught the guy was he created a new account and re-registered the system so sony flagged it and called the police with the profile information, and yesterday morning(3.20) i got my system back.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Re: PS3 STOLEN? Follow these steps! Not always a "lost cause"

Mar 25, 2009

Maverick1310,

Good to hear, and this is exactly what I am talking about!

So often have we heard people complain and cry on and on about how its a lost cause........ there's nothing anyone can do.....etc etc etc. Don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to those select few who have "been wronged" by some rando police department who did not take their case seriously. But so often....... it takes two to tango (in this case 3, if you count the ass-clown that stole your PS3 to begin with). As long as you (the victim) are well informed, and they (the police) are well informed, then there is nothing that can't be initiated or started in your case that ends with you getting your video game system back!

Maverick1310, again, glad to hear you got yours recovered, and hopefully anyone that has had there's stolen in the past year or so are now taking the time (if they haven't already) and researching certain options they may not have known were available.

Thanks again for everyones contributions, emails, and kudos!

- Detective C.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7781 posts

Mar 31, 2009
Kudos!  This is great information for all Playstation 3 owners!
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1918 posts

Mar 31, 2009

Reallly useful guide for someone that gets their system stolen, but after you give your IP and MAC address to the cop, of all things dont "go have a smoke". Smoking is an absolutly disgusting habbit, and its sad if you think its cool or fun.

Smoking is stupid.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Apr 2, 2009

ihatereading369 - "Smoking is stupid."

ihatereading369,

Thanks for the kudos, and fear no reprisal, as I agree....... smoking is stupid. Considering you are the only one to mention it in this fashion, I have to assume the majority of users out there got the true meaning, and you took it quite literal. The term in itself is self explanatory, but the context in which it was used (and is used occasionally in society) simply means........ "take a break" or "chillax". Even though I think the latter is also new to society within the last year or two!

Regardless, I don't condone smoking, or the use of tobacco products, and I'd like to think there is enough anti-smoking advertisements out there (the toy babies crawling, the man in a rat suit dying in Times Square, someone trying to Fedex a box of cigarettes, etc) that if I were to just sit idly by and nod to your comment........ than I would be no better then the "yes men" that push cigarettes into the hands of five year olds! (we have to assume it happens.......... I saw Clerks!).

So for the record, I was (in a sarcastic manner, yet with a hint of wit) suggesting to people to "take a break". Because after all the information is in the hands of law enforcement, there's little to nothing to do until you receive that phone call...... "Sir we have recovered your PS3, and wish to give you all these extra games we found on that bad man's living room floor!". Of course this will never happen, but one can always dream!

But ihatereading369, thanks again for the kudos, and the chance to let me write something new in here. Fortunately (within my jurisdiction anyway) petty crime has tapered off a bit, and the theft of video game systems in general is down to "0-1 systems stolen a month". So either; A: I'm doing a bang up job!..... B: people are getting more proactive with protecting their property........ or C: everyone got what they wanted for Christmas, and the need to steal hasn't settled back in yet???

I'm going with something between "A" and "B", so as to not sound like a complete "ace".

-Detective C.

aka. Mr.Book

Message Edited by MrBook on 04-02-2009 11:14 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 5, 2009
unfortunatly i did not copy my serial number down or register my system that i remember is there a way for the people at sony to obtain the serial number of my consol from my playstation network account login i guess what i am asking is when the system logs on to the playstation network is the serial and mac address recorded by sony so i would be able to give them a call to find out this info i had my ps3 stolen about 3 weeks ago and thought all hope was lost til i saw this forum thread thanks for your helpful info
Message Edited by mustang99gt2001 on 04-04-2009 05:19 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

regarding mustang99gt2001's question

Apr 6, 2009
Andy,
I sent you a private e-mail explaining everything a bit more, but I thought I'd post some of that same email, in case other people had similar questions themselves.
This has been answered in part before, but just so it's evident of all the possibilities out there. Feel free to email me or post here if this doesn't cover enough information for you. 
Start with this:
If you registered your PS3 with SCEA (generally done under account settings and by connecting through the PSN via the XMB), then SCEA would have a copy of your serial number. You can orchestrate this through customer service, and won't take any longer then the infinite amount of time they have you"on hold". If you did not register your PS3 with SCEA (Sony), and you are certain you do not have the serial number (the original box, written down somewhere, the receipt from store where purchased, etc), then you can try one of the following methods:
1. Contact the store franchise where you bought it from and ask for a copy of the receipt. Most major stores (both big chain retail, and online megastores) will have the serial number associated with the product purchased. Perhaps you bought a warranty plan similar to the likes of Best Buy / Circuit City / Amazon??? They would have copies as well.
2. If you setup your PS3 on your home network, and connected to the internet via a router (either wireless or wired) then there is a possibility that your router has the old information still stored within it (especially if you gave it a static IP address). If you used a media server (like TVersity) then the program on your PC would have old .xml log files which can have your PS3's MAC address in it.
- Detective C.
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 10, 2009

I just personally wanna thank you this gives me hope my ps3 got stolen about a month ago I didnt file anything bcuz i thought there was nothing that could be done. Now im gonna c if I get back any info b4 I break down and buy a new one.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 10, 2009
My Playstaion 3 was stolen.  I had the serial number but not the MAC address.  The officer who filed the report called sony and they said he should have access to some special phone number to call them and basically gave him the run around about how they couldn't do much.  Any suggestions on what to do next or do you know anything about what phone number he should call?
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Apr 14, 2009

holbrm,

That sounds a bit odd, but then again...... I know the pain of dealing with customer service types, and they generally don't have all the answers.

To answer your question, YES..... I have the much needed information for you (ie- a name and phone number) but it's not general public knowledge, and I think the user of said phone would be slightly irritated if I posted it on a forum (ha). So private message me the officers email or phone number in question and I'll forward it along to him. The individual he will speak with is "subject matter expert" in this field, and will assist him in the necessary paperwork preparation.

Any other questions feel free to post, email or PM. Hope this helped!

- Detective C.

PSN - MrBook

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 323 (446 Views)
0 Likes