Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Re: PS3 STOLEN? Follow these steps! Not always a "lost cause"

Jan 26, 2009

That is always a good idea, and I'm sure a lot of us do this already. I generally advise individuals to keep a running database of every "high dollar value" item in their household. It doesn't take more then a few minutes to write down / type out the: make, model, serial number, original receipts, and any other character specific traits an item might have (a MAC address, unique markings, damage, etc).

Keep that information on hand you will never have a problem when filing a police report, or a claim with your insurance company.

I've even gone as far as keep my video game receipts, as I've seen mass looting / theft of games, and it's very hard to track said item, let alone prove you ever owned it.

This is all simply a guide to better prepare someone, should the unfortunate business of a loss occur. Thanks for the "kudos" everyone, and keep the questions and stories coming.

- Detective C.

Message 10 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Added point of interest regarding a stolen PS3 with no serial

Jan 27, 2009

To All,

This was brought up during another thread and again in an email I received........

If you didn't make a note of your PS3 / PSP serial number or MAC address, here are two tips:

1. If you registered it with the Playstation network, SCEA has a copy, and this can be obtained.

2. Check your routers settings, and depending on how you have it setup, you can retrieve your MAC address from one of it's menus, or within a saved ".txt" file stored on your PC.

(although this varies depending on your router, the setup, etc)

Although these may not help everyone, anything that can bring you closer to the recovery of your stolen / lost property is always a good thing!

Detective C.

PSN - MrBook

Message 11 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
529 posts

Re: Added point of interest regarding a stolen PS3 with no serial

Jan 27, 2009

Nice Post!

Good Job, Kudos!

Starhawk
Message 12 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42901 posts

Jan 28, 2009

khamvongsa09 wrote:
I'm going to bookmark this. Thanks for the useful info. Now, I'm going to keep the serial number and the Mac address on a piece of paper and make like 2 copies. This is to put it in different places so I will always have at lease one. Again, Thanks alot.

You could also use one of those free, on-line data storage services and automatically back-up individual files and/or directories containing ownership information.

For example, have the service link lists of serial/model numbers and MAC addresses of any electronic items you own, photos of your game or movie collections, electronic/computer equipment, photocopies of receipts, and so on. That way, if someone steals everything or if a fire wipes everything out, then you still have off-site archives of documents that you will need for your insurance claim or just to rebuild your systems.

Too bad a service like this can't keep a copy of your house key for the times you leave home without them.

Cheers,
Message 13 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

good add!

Jan 28, 2009

Not super familar with this service, but it sounds like a valuable resource. Thanks for the information sir!!

If anyone else has similar information, feel free to add it as well.

Additionall, post your stories regarding your stolen PS3 and or system. If you have questions or concerns I will try and advise best I can. Thanks again for all the emails and posts everyone!

Detective C.

PSN - MrBook

Message 14 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
868 posts

Feb 14, 2009
Meh... Online storage cost money...
Photobucket
Message 15 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Feb 17, 2009

Khamvongsa09........ the above mentioned person is referring to the online storage of "information", not digital information (ie- the information stored on a disc). The services the Op is referring to holds the information for you like serial numbers and MAC address, but links certain items to general pictures of the item for insurance claim purposes.

Although in my travels since reading the post, I have found some sites that offer this service for free, and others that charge a "one time fee". Personally I would simply type/write everything out that I owned (expensive property wise) and secure that information in at least two locations. You could always take photos of your PS3, PSP, computer........ write down all the necessary information and email it to yourself??? Therefore always having a copy that (in theory) could never be lost or stolen.

--  Detective C.

Message 16 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
734 posts

Feb 19, 2009
That's a really cool threat, my ps3 was stolen long time ago and I had to buy I new one. Police never found anything, I had no insurance because we moved to a new place, my dad wanted to take the opportunity to change the insurance company for a better price. That suk they stoles for 4000$ of stuff 
Message Edited by greenstaG on 02-18-2009 09:29 PM
Message 17 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 26, 2009
Sony CAN track your stolen PS3. I had to contact Sony Tech HQ to get my replacement units serial number to give to the cops. I asked him about this. He said "Yes we can track it, but your local cops have to cantact us to request they track the serial number/MAC address. I then gave that info to the Detective on my case. He has no idea that this was posible, but he does now. He said he would contact me as soon as he had the chance to talk to Sony Tech HQ, and let me know how it goes. I'll post back if I hear anything regarding this. DAM I HOPE THEY FIND THAT SOB!
Message 18 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Mar 2, 2009

Good too hear vchad904! Hopefully some positive results come from the investigation. Like I mentioned earlier, some law enforcement officers are unaware of their options, or for that matter...... unaware of what SCEA is capable of.

Hopefully, vchad904, everything works out ok, and we can all share in glee-full bliss of what it's like getting your property returned (or at least what it feels like knowing the guy resisted arrest during his or hers apprehension!).

Remeber everyone, if you have a question, feel free to ask it.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who never ask what they need to know!

Detective C.

Message 19 of 323 (1,288 Views)
0 Likes