Mar 29 2012
By: Doozer17268 Splicer 54 posts

I really hope thisis pure Rumor & Speculation and not fact! - Your thoughts fellow Gamers...

62 replies 36 views Edited Mar 29, 2012

First of all, the PS3 is still an awesome system and I have no plans in buying a new console and peripherals.

Secondly, no backwards compatibility and Used game restrictions is completely asinine.

This kind of action would only alienate Gamers who purchase and trade their games. I personally buy used games all the time but, I also buy new ones. Who is does this hurt anyway?? Companies like Activision who are greed driven would be my best guess.

Would you as a Gamer buy a new system like this??

read below - Article from IGN.

Today, Kotaku posted a story containing alleged details on Sony's next home console, the PlayStation 4. Kotaku claims that the details of the story "come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publically about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with before." According to this source, the next PlayStation is codenamed Orbis and will launch in the 2013 holiday season.

Kotaku notes that the predicted specs of the Orbis currently include an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU. The source told Kotaku that "select developers" have already received dev kits at the beginning of the year and revised kits arrived around the time of the Game Developers Conference earlier this month.

Furthermore, according to Kotaku's source, Orbis will not feature backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 games and will incorporate some sort of used-games restriction. Apparently, once a consumer inserts a Blu-ray disc into Orbis it must be tied to a PSN account and can no longer be shared. The data can be installed onto the system and flagged as "downloaded" from the PSN so it can be re-downloaded for future use. Sources are "unclear" as to how the disc functions following this, though one possibility is that the disc can allow consumers to access trial content before purchasing the full game on their console.

IGN contacted Sony for a comment on these rumors. The official response: "we don't comment on rumors or speculation." If any other details emerge, we will update this article.

Message 1 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
981 posts

Re: I really hope thisis pure Rumor & Speculation and not fact! - Your thoughts fellow Gamers...

Mar 29, 2012

Yes I would buy it, and here's why, I'll just re-post:

BRIT-KO schrieb:

Fabcom wrote:

jeez you guys need to quit whining about all that bc stuff...

if you wanna play PS2 games, do it on a PS2.

if you wanna play PS3 games when the PS4 is out, just keep your PS3 and play it on there, whats the matter?

Yaayyyyy, someone had the guts to say this, well done!

lol no problem...

I am not a fan of restricting games to one account either, but think of it this way:

I buy the game for 60 bucks and have fun with it.

I then sell it to someone for 20 bucks, and they just buy an online code for (example / guess) like 10 bucks.

They still saved 30 bucks in the end.

and seriously, who needs bc anyways? If you have the old console, then use it. who buys a new console to play old games on it? thats not really the point of new consoles, if people like it or not...

BF3 Stats
Message 2 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Re: I really hope thisis pure Rumor & Speculation and not fact! - Your thoughts fellow Gamers...

Mar 29, 2012

I can see where you are coming from but, I really don't want to have multiple consoles hooked up and connected the Internet.

If the PS4 is 599.99 like the original launch, I will not be buying for at least 1-2 years. You would think they could just use an Emulator Program to run the old games on the new system. Also, wouldn't the optical drive still be a Blu-Ray?

I think the PS3 is a great system and really don't think there are going to be tens of thousands of people just running out and buying all new stuff in 2013.

If the release is to complete with the Xbox720 I personally wouldn't care at all.

Message 3 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
981 posts

Mar 30, 2012

I will buy it the minute it comes out. And I will be buying it to play PS4 games and do all the stuff it can. I will not buy new technology to use it for old software. that's not really the point of creating new things...

BF3 Stats
Message 4 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1008 posts

Mar 30, 2012

I'm excited for the PS9. Anyone remember that?

Message 5 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Mar 30, 2012

ill buy it if its a reasonable price, as long as its $400 or less.

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 6 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Mar 30, 2012

It's topics like this one that really make me miss how strong this community used to be.

Anyway, back on topic...

The short answer is yes, I would buy a system like the one rumored to be in development in the Kotaku article by Sony. The short of it is Sony lost their shirts on the PS3. A completely foreign architecture; extra components for PS2 backward compatibility; high development costs; and a $600 price tag at launch and still taking a loss on each console sold. Couple that with used game sales that doesn't net Sony, developers or publishers a dime.

Basically, I don't believe that Sony can afford another PS3.

That being said, I completely understand that folks would be pissed about essentially killing used game sales (the next console from Microsoft is also rumored to lock out used games). Personally I buy my games new with the exception being when I buy for systems of yore - PS2, PS1, SNES, etc. But that wasn't always the case so I can relate to folks who are tight on funds and still want to get their gaming fix.

But for right now keep in mind that these are just rumors. Time will tell.

Message 7 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1289 posts

Mar 31, 2012

Nope, I've realized the past few months that Sony has done some pretty scummy things, but this basically tops it all for me. For awhile I been dreaming about a more open console, but this goes directly the other way. I dislike how EA is putting their ridiculous DRM on console already, but this anti-used game being implemented at the console level is the last straw. I don't even usually buy used games, but I borrow games from friends and friends borrow games from me. This display of greediness has lost Sony a customer. It's sad, because I got a launch PS3 and I defended it quite nicely. I'll just invest that money into a gaming computer.

Message 8 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11958 posts

Mar 31, 2012

I don’t see myself purchasing a video game console with used video game restrictions.

If I do end up purchasing a video game console that will tie video games to my account, prevent me from playing used video games, and prevent me from playing video games offline then I don’t see myself purchasing very many video games for it, which is another problem. I would probably be better off not purchasing a video game console in the 8th video game generation if there is any truth to these rumors. I honestly cannot justify the purchase of a video game console for only a handful of video games.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 9 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
775 posts

Mar 31, 2012

Well looks like the end of console gaming come next gen. If any of these things are true for the ps4 or other console, i wont be buying either.

o well sony had a good run.

In 20 years we will be telling our kids how greed and lack of concern for customer base destroyed another home console maker that felt they were to ingrained with fanboys and culture to fail. add playstation and the other to a shelf with atari and sega.... least i can pass my android around the house for free still

If the new console abandons the cell processor for the amd, no backwards compatibility makes sense, but if i buy a game and have to pay again to let my son/wife play on there psn account. then i would rather spend my money on a pc rig.

All i can say is that my $ will be going to whoever doesn't limit used games if any.

Imagine if u buy a car new and then are limited to 5 fill ups before the gas tanks locks and u have to pay to refill every 5 tanks. its ridiculous and will certainly push the console market into a downward spiral.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 63 (36 Views)
0 Likes