Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 23 2010
By: pitythefool852 Hekseville Citizen 376 posts

I don't know where I am...

7 replies 35 views Edited Dec 23, 2010

As people get older, dementia often sets in.  It isn't long before we walk down what should be familiar streets and find them completely unrecognisable. 

I believe that I've had a taste of that today.  I was actually looking forward to the new forum, imagining that it would update into something more like our EU counterparts, and then I tried to load up our new US forum. 

I clicked "log in", and it said that I was a "guest". 

"This is my home, dammit"

"Welcome Guest"

I tried "log in" again, but I was still being called a "guest" in my own forum.  It's like when you've lived in a building for years, but the new doorman won't let you in because you don't have a key.

I then considered, do I have to re-register in order to get in?  That prospect worried me, as "re-registering" might make me lose my history.  However short and insignificant that history may be, it is still mine, non?

I clicked the "register" button, and had the PIN sent to my address. 

"Welcome, pitythefool852".  I was greeted with my familiar and unique avatar.  "I must be home now", I thought to myself.

Then, I looked down the list of forum boards, and couldn't find any.  I couldn't find the Lounge, or the various discussion pages that I usually frequent.  The Alzheimer's felt like it was kicking in again. 

I didn't cry when I saw the main forum screen, but I did feel a little lost.  Would a landing page with forum catagories ... Would a landing page with forum categories have been easier for me to navigate?  Perhaps the youth of today will see this forum and find it intuitive, but for old folks like myself, or at least for myself, the whole layout is a little bit confusing.

So, I decided to write a post to you guys to tell you my feelings.  Maybe other people have written similar posts, but I can't find any.  Hell, I can't find anything.

Perhaps there's a Guncrazy post here somewhere, with him laughing, saying the new forum is going to be the end of PlayStation...

I searched for the button to create a new post.  It was hidden under "New", and finally got to where we are now. 

"Where would you like to post?" followed by a list of forums.

So that's where the Lounge is hidden!  With any luck, this post should land in the Lounge.  I just hope that I can find it again after I post it.

A quick final thought, I'm not complaining about the new forum, I just don't really "get" it yet.  I'm sure I'll find my way around sooner or later, but shouldn't these things be intuitive?  I mean, people complained about the GT5 interface, but that's super streamlined compared to my first impressions of the new forum. 

PityTheFool852

☆ Click to learn about the Japan Relief Fund on PS Store details ☆

Even if you can't donate to the fund yourself, please tell everyone you know on PSN about it, and mention it in your forum signatures :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (35 Views)
PlayStation MVP
28319 posts

Re: I don't know where I am...

Dec 23, 2010

You aren't the only one who was lost man. It took me almost 20 minutes to figure out where anything was. I did feel like an old person.... and I'm only 20

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (35 Views)
Splicer
77 posts

Dec 23, 2010

What a terrible forum layout. I swear Sony are getting better at making things worse.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

Dec 23, 2010

Honestly, the layout looks (graphically) WAY BETTER that before, but... well, it's not user-friendly. It takes more steps to get to the section you're looking for and it's NOT INTUITIVE. And I've never needed to read a manual in order to understand how an electronic device works, never had troubles finding... anything on the internet and I was lost here.

But maybe that's just another attempt to prevent spam and/or stupid questions as the average spammer or troll will be unable to post here. If that's the case, I'm affraid it won't work, spammers and trolls WILL find their way here only they will post in the wrong sections along with many other Users so the Mods will just have more work to do moving the posts around.

--------EDIT-------

* - as for the censored words, I was using the word that starts with a "T" and ends with the second word in Rock'n'....

Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (35 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5250 posts

Dec 23, 2010

They have actually ruined the forums.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (35 Views)
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Dec 23, 2010

What happened to the forums??? all my stuff is gone, I can't even find Gran Turismo 5 forums ????? I don't know why ppl, like the ones that run this place, somehow think there doing a good job running or managing this place or places like this, open your eye's, your not doing a remotley good job here, my spell check program doesn't even work here anymore either, good bye PS forums I'm not coming back, you S.U.C.K seriously.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3463 posts

Dec 23, 2010

i agree with you 100%. and i to was kept being called a guest. when i entered my email so i get sent the pin, it said my email was already in use... ok... so i had to use my other email account.

this place is a mess, i couldn't find any sub forums but then. after what seemed like a 1000 clicks, i finally found where the sub forums are...

lets say you want to go to the assassins creed forum for example..

hover over browse, click spaces, look for games. click view sub space, look for action adventure, click view sub space and will you look at that... hiding under all those sub spaces is assassins creed sub forum!

now al have to do all these useless clickings instead of how it was before with just a simple scroll and a click.

yay for forum mods fixing stuff that isn't broken! :smileyindifferent:

now if someone finds a way how to do the background black again. please share with your fellow comrades.

lonewolf1994 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (35 Views)
Sackboy
556 posts

Dec 23, 2010

lonewolf1994 wrote:

(...)

lets say you want to go to the assassins creed forum for example..

hover over browse, click spaces, look for games. click view sub space, look for action adventure, click view sub space and will you look at that... hiding under all those sub spaces is assassins creed sub forum!

lonewolf1994 Trophy Card

Or... you can look at the "community spaces" tab (on the right side of the main page) and click the red arrow next to games, then the red arrow next to Action/Adventure.

Still, it's not intuitive.

Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (35 Views)