Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
468 posts

Re: Foul language in videogames is it neccessary or not?

Mar 22, 2011

There once was a saying...."Sticks and stones may break my bones but words they cannot hurt me." not even the naughty ones are dangerous. So if your moral compass points you in the direction of Candyland, then maybe you should go. But don't take my vulgar language with you.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 56 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

Mar 22, 2011

johntown wrote:

I know there is cursing in video games and I have games and movies with lots of cussing in it. Like I said before the only reason it is suddenly realistic now is because the media has made it that way. So yes I agree that some games have a more realistic feel to them with the cursing but I still don't believe it is needed in games and they could find other way to express or vent anger besides saying oh darn and stuff like that.

One game that I did not like was Red Dead Redemption. You really expect me to believe that back in that time they used the F bomb? That is one thing that annoyed me in that game and I thought to have all that cursing was totally not needed and took away from the realism of what they were trying to portray.

IMO I don't think it is neccessary or needed and I am sure they could find plenty of creative ways to come up with other words and I am telling you the majority of people would really not notice if they took most of the curse words out of video games.

Can someone really tell me that you are listening for curse words in certain situations? If they found creative ways to re-phrase things I don't think anyone would notice.

Exactly... And weather it's realistic or not, it's definitly not neccessary. I play games for fun, not beceause I want to mirror everything that happens in real life. If that's what you want so bad, why not just go outside and be as "realistic" as you want?

lensflare15 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 56 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Mar 22, 2011

I agree that in some cases, the foul language is used to give a bit more realistic feel depending of the game style. But most of times, they're not necessary at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 56 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
468 posts

Mar 22, 2011

lensflare15 wrote:

johntown wrote:

I know there is cursing in video games and I have games and movies with lots of cussing in it. Like I said before the only reason it is suddenly realistic now is because the media has made it that way. So yes I agree that some games have a more realistic feel to them with the cursing but I still don't believe it is needed in games and they could find other way to express or vent anger besides saying oh darn and stuff like that.

One game that I did not like was Red Dead Redemption. You really expect me to believe that back in that time they used the F bomb? That is one thing that annoyed me in that game and I thought to have all that cursing was totally not needed and took away from the realism of what they were trying to portray.

So in a game riddle with death and violence you were affended by the F-bomb, whatever, seems you only played to try and kill something.

IMO I don't think it is neccessary or needed and I am sure they could find plenty of creative ways to come up with other words and I am telling you the majority of people would really not notice if they took most of the curse words out of video games.

IMO I don't think spraying someone with bullets is any less damaging then a bad word.

Can someone really tell me that you are listening for curse words in certain situations? If they found creative ways to re-phrase things I don't think anyone would notice.

I don't really pay attention to "curse" words as I was not raised in a bubble,  and yes I would notice replacement words, ever watch Battlestar Galactica, "frack" is a phrased used so often it has made me sick to listen to it.

Exactly... And weather it's realistic or not, it's definitly not neccessary. I play games for fun, not beceause I want to mirror everything that happens in real life. If that's what you want so bad, why not just go outside and be as "realistic" as you want?

lensflare15 Trophy Card

It has nothing to due with being realistic, I think you are a prime example of that, you are being real and you don't like it.  I guess it begs the question, why would you play a game that is rated M for mature and not expect mature content? They have games geared towards people like you they are rated E for everyone, or T for teen, although it seems you are fine with violence as long as nobody swears while they do it. I could understand if you were playing Hannah Montana or Mario and they were dropping F-bombs, but when you are talking about RDR and people are covered in blood and killing everything that moves I don't see were a little swear word is going to make things worse. In this day and age it's better to pump images of death and violence down our children's throats in every form of media, but say a naughty word and.......well you know the rest.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 56 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

Mar 23, 2011

REINFECTA wrote:

lensflare15 wrote:

johntown wrote:

So in a game riddle with death and violence you were affended by the F-bomb, whatever, seems you only played to try and kill something.

IMO I don't think spraying someone with bullets is any less damaging then a bad word.

I don't really pay attention to "curse" words as I was not raised in a bubble,  and yes I would notice replacement words, ever watch Battlestar Galactica, "frack" is a phrased used so often it has made me sick to listen to it.

lensflare15 Trophy Card

It has nothing to due with being realistic, I think you are a prime example of that, you are being real and you don't like it.  I guess it begs the question, why would you play a game that is rated M for mature and not expect mature content? They have games geared towards people like you they are rated E for everyone, or T for teen, although it seems you are fine with violence as long as nobody swears while they do it. I could understand if you were playing Hannah Montana or Mario and they were dropping F-bombs, but when you are talking about RDR and people are covered in blood and killing everything that moves I don't see were a little swear word is going to make things worse. In this day and age it's better to pump images of death and violence down our children's throats in every form of media, but say a naughty word and.......well you know the rest.

Lol, I actually don't mind it so much. Like others have said, it's fine when it's not overused (when it does it kind of gets on my nerves) I just don't get why some people claim it's "necessary". I mean, sure I expect it, but I would be just fine if it wasn't there. One thing I agree with though, is that it is a little ridiculous to think a video game is going to teach someone to curse... Most kids that I've seen are completely captivated by the gameplay, ignoring the dialogue or anything else going on. I know I was like that...

lensflare15 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 56 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Mar 23, 2011

its like adding icing to cake without it, the cake is boring

BF3 AND BFBC2 PLAYER
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 56 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2810 posts

Mar 23, 2011

For me, it depends. If they are just swearing for the heck of it, then its just childish. But if they are doing it to express the anger/ pain of the character, than its a good characterization method used by game developers.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 56 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 7, 2012

Shikenator wrote:

It adds realism to the game and is required for certain situations.  Especially with voice acting, some situations would just sound out right stupid without it.

And as you said, these are M rated games.  Parents should do their job and keep their kids away from them if they don't want them hearing swear words.

It's not realistic to people who hardly swear. And since when are video games realistic? Maybe in simulator games like Gran Turismo? Should GT5 get a patch that adds the voice of a driver muttering swear words under his breath?

And your right, movies like The Dark Knight were so stupid because those stituations should have had people swearing up a storm. Stupid Chris Nolan is such a sell out for censoring Batman so much. He should have told DC Comics to go *bleep* themselves.

The fact is, it's up to the creators of the games how they want to make the games. But there's this false idea among creatives and critics, that "maturity makes it better" and sex, drugs, violence, and swearing is what makes something more mature; and therefore they conclude nude scenes, death-tolls and f-bombs make a story better.

But stories can be "Mature" without being excessively vulgar or graphic.

To satisfy all parties, I think if games included an option to bleep or substitute language (and more graphic violence too if you want) or to leave it on, that would be pretty *bleep*ing cool. It would be like picking a difficulty level... but it would be a profanity level - mild, medium, or spicy?

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 56 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1868 posts

Aug 7, 2012

I think it just depends.  Mild foul language really isn't that bad at all.  For example games such as uncharted have mild language but it is used "well".  I just hate it when you play a game or movie and almost EVERY sentence has has the F word.  At that point I'll just turn of the tv or sell the game becuase its just low class trash.    

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 56 (237 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Aug 8, 2012
Oooh...a new necrobump! But sure, I'll bite, and also reflect on what most people have said; it really depends on the game and the situation.

When it feels "natural", like you can actually see the characters say it in real life, that's when its 'necessary' and done well. When its overused...you can tell, and it loses its impact; it just feels silly.

Is it 100% necessary to use foul language? No, it isn't. You can have amazing and mature games that have no swearing. But in a game about a war, or your character is stuck in a really bad situation, or its set in a time/place that IRL would have swearing...yeah, it can be used. Just not overused.

And I do find it interesting that the OP complains about M-rated games getting into the hands of "innocent" kids who don't know better, like its the only place they'll learn to swear...what about R-rated (or worse) movies and TV? I know many of them are as bad or worse then the worst language-offending games. Would the parents not be at fault if the kid saw them, like some suggest should happen when a kid plays an M-rated game?
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 56 (234 Views)
0 Likes