Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Limit Breaker
25302 posts

Re: Foul language in videogames is it neccessary or not?

Oct 12, 2010

in some cases yea it is needed. devs could always do what brutal legend did and offer a choice to hear it or not

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. :smileytongue:

Get your Portable ID!
Message 21 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Oct 12, 2010

Shortguy wrote:

Except for the part where I'm 100% correct.  Video games are marketed for kids. It's a new media, but the content is nothing new.

Yeah, because everyone knows that when at least 50%  of games today are rated M and say ages 17+ they are meant for kids...that makes loads of sense. 

Shikenator Trophy Card
Message 22 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1023 posts

Oct 12, 2010

I love it when your fighting some bad guy and your character screams out a curse or something. I find it necessary in most games but constant Fboms arent needed.

sagejonathan  Trophy Card
Message 23 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6454 posts

Oct 12, 2010

I don't mind it, as long as it's not to much, however you mentioned kids may learn the language this well, well, the games are Rated M which is 17+, if a kid plays these games, then it all rests on the parents for allowing their child to play a 17+ game.

Message 24 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6044 posts

Oct 12, 2010

Shikenator wrote:

Shortguy wrote:

Except for the part where I'm 100% correct.  Video games are marketed for kids. It's a new media, but the content is nothing new.

Yeah, because everyone knows that when at least 50%  of games today are rated M and say ages 17+ they are meant for kids...that makes loads of sense. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsWsrEecZ2c

so your saying this ad doesn't target kids... c'mon

Level 9,999 Laharl
Message 25 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6519 posts

Oct 13, 2010
i would say needed as it in turn does make a game more fun we dont need games to be PC do we but they can always do what doublefine did offer the choice of bleeping them or not
Message 26 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Oct 13, 2010

Shikenator wrote:

Shortguy wrote:

3rd, blame the parents? video games are marketed to kids, it's just fact.  it's a relevant discussion. 

This is false.  Games WERE marketed toward kids in the old days.  How many old school gamers saw an abundance of M rated games in the age of the NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.  They were very rare at the time because most gamers USED to be kids.

Actually games weren't just marketed towards kids in the old days. However, for a large number of years, the main publisher of the era, had a strong policy against profanity, nudity and other objectionable content. That set the stage for many many years. 

Also for a large number of years, kids were the main gamers. But even so I'd be hard pressed to label Contra, Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Dungeons & Dragons, Metal Gear, and many others as "kid" games. Especially not RPGs. Contra and Metal Gear were definately not "kiddy" games. Pac-Man yes. Contra no. Bear in mind, I grew up on those games. In my opinion, from my own experience, I would not make the claim that gaming was only for kids.

Message 27 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
876 posts

Oct 13, 2010

Shortguy wrote:

Shikenator wrote:

Shortguy wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsWsrEecZ2c

so your saying this ad doesn't target kids... c'mon

I don't see anything in that ad that seems specifically aimed at children. Sure, it's got a funny talking animal, but then so do Geico insurance commercials, promoting another product not meant for kids. Plus, it explicitly announces the rating.

But besides that, marketing to kids has less to do with the content of the ad and more to do with when and where the advertising appears. I can't speak specifically for the God of War ad campaign, but I know the majority of commercials I've seen for M rated games (such as Call of Duty: Black Ops) have been during evening sports broadcasts, which isn't exactly reaching a kid-oriented demographic.

0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Oct 13, 2010

For realism's sake, it's absolutely necessary...

Imagine someone drops a bowling ball on your foot... Intentionally! Would you REALLY yell out, "Oh darn!"?

Sure some developers may go a bit overboard with unnecessary bad language. But hey, that happens everywhere in the entertainment industry from music to film, so no biggie there.

I would never want to sacrifice realism for censorship to "supposedly" protect children. The fact of the matter is, there IS a rating system. The OP claims to have played Grand Theft Auto at the age of 14. Had his/her parents been supervising, he would have not been playing that game at all until he reached the age of 17+

Message 29 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4713 posts

Re: Foul language in videogames is it necessary or not?

Oct 13, 2010

I'd say its not necessary and sometimes gets overused to the point that it is ridiculous. It seems like some characters like to do a long string of foul language to the point that it gets annoying. That said, I have no problem with it in games and I think that sometimes it can be very fitting and make the characters sound more natural.

Message 30 of 56 (204 Views)
0 Likes