Oct 12 2010
By: rouward Fender Bender 3370 posts

Foul language in videogames is it neccessary or not?

55 replies 680 views Edited Oct 12, 2010

When we're playing teen or mature rated games, we usually hearsome mild or strong language such as S, F, B, D and A in the game. We are aware that some innocent kids who played such this game might learn to speak those words in that way. I remember when I was 14 years old, I really enjoyed playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City and San Andreas on my new PS2 Slim and never realize that those games have strong language. Although I already learned those words from various games, I would never ever use them in real life in fact that I have no idea to other english words. So is it necessary to all publishers and developers for inserting foul language in every game?

Casual Gamer | White PS3 Super Slim | PC Technician
K-ON! Houkago Live!! Online Jamming Event
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
481 posts

Re: Foul language in videogames is it neccessary or not?

Oct 12, 2010

Yes, people complain more than anything else about the realism of a game.  Foul language is realistic.  The language in games like Uncharted help submerge you into the gameplay.  You can bet that if I was in the situations that these characters are thrown into I would be swearing too.  

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1337 posts

Oct 12, 2010

It might be neccessary in some games but out of all....No.....Like in Xenosaga Eps.3....The only foul word was "Hell"...If it is one.....But thats what made the game for me not childish...

------------------------------------------
Thinking Of Something To Type Down......
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5388 posts

Oct 12, 2010
I don't have problem with swearing, as long as it's not in every other sentence.

I'd do that if I were messing around, and my friends do the same. I know some people have swearing problems, but I don't need it in my games. It's not "cool" to swear unnecessarily. I guess that's subjective though. some people might think so.
Christina Lee photo Christinalee_zpsa4a832cb.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Oct 12, 2010

It adds realism to the game and is required for certain situations.  Especially with voice acting, some situations would just sound out right stupid without it.

And as you said, these are M rated games.  Parents should do their job and keep their kids away from them if they don't want them hearing swear words.

Shikenator Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
546 posts

Oct 12, 2010

i like it haha... seems more real and badA$$

userbarz.com

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2785 posts

Oct 12, 2010

It depends on the setting of the game. Sometimes I do feel it is necessary to add realism, if that is what the developer intends to show, like it It fit well in Grand Theft Auto. Of course sometimes it feels unnecessary. I think it was Killzone 2 that overdid it, can't remember for sure. Then there are games like Green Day: Rock band and Def Jam rapstar that used clean versions of songs, I'm guessing in order to keep the T rating. In that case it actually hurts the game because usually the words are replaced with silence and it kills the mood. Especally when it comes to the rap music game. Those gaps must feel annoying. 

Feel free to add my newer account NatalieG_

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6044 posts

Oct 12, 2010

Actions speak louder than words.  When a games use of bad words exceeds it's actions it's cheesy and the vast majority of people dislike it (rogue warrior, killzone 2 cut scenes). 

I think foul language when used as a "crutch" to be hardcore is silly and cheesy. 

just one of a bazillion examples: Demon's souls never used a bad word once, but is one of the darkest and most badass games of the decade. 

So my official stance is: unnecessary. 

Level 9,999 Laharl
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
348 posts

Oct 12, 2010

Most games are made for adults.  Most games feature adults as main characters.  Adults in real life curse.  Thus, this gets carried over to games.

Additionally, the type of people cursing or the frequency that people curse in certain game may be intended to have a certain effect on the player or emphasize their status.  Examples of this include the kids in Little Lamplight, the gang members in Gran Torino, and that Yakuza dude in the opening scene of Ninja Assassin.

In each case, cursing has a specific purpose.  In Little Lamplight, it's to show what happens to kids when there are no adults around (think Lord of the Flies), and in the other two movies it was to show education level and social status.

Of course, there are many games that curse just for the sake of it or for comedic value too.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Oct 12, 2010

It depends on the game.  Sometimes I feel language can be excessive in some games.  Haze comes to mind, cursing was over-used and sounded like a 12 year old's version of a war movie.  But in Uncharted it fit well.  But if you're going to ask whether or not foul language is necessary or not in games then you should ask the same question about movies, TV, books... besides, kids will most likely learn that stuff from school and TV more than games anyway.

But I think the real question is what were you doing playing GTA when you were 14 years old??  Kids wouldn't learn the foul language from games if parent's would actually give a damn and read the ESRB labels and not get mad when they find out the game has foul language after they ignore the labels.  Don't blame the games, movies, etc.  Blame the ignorant and/or inattentive parents.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 56 (680 Views)
0 Likes