Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 05 2010
By: Enok Lombax Warrior 196 posts

DLC has crossed the threshold of blatant rip off.

32 replies 154 views Edited Feb 5, 2010

This is all the proof anyone ever needed to not buy DLC.

This DLC is on the Blu-ray, requires no download.  It is only an activatable service.  It allows you to change the appearance of your character once.....   For $5................................................   I was going to buy WKC but their obvious disdain for the money we spend on games already and their down right greed in even attempting to charge to change a characters appearance has caused me to stop my purchase and boycott lvl 5 studios.  They think we are all ready to drink the cool-aid or something...   I think they have to be crazy as bat nuts to try and pull this over on us.

PS Store:

White Knight Chronicles International Edition Makeover Ticket ($4.99) File size: N/A   

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1550 posts

Re: DLC has crossed the threshold of blatant rip off.

Feb 5, 2010
I agree....Please refer to my "Is DLC the downfall of gaming" thread.
Signature removed by Admin due to inappropriate content.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Feb 5, 2010
There is never any "need" to buy DLC. If you don't want to pay the $5 to change your character's appearance then don't. Whether it's DLC or 'unlockable' really is irrelevant. Nobody is forcing you to do so. It doesn't make the game bad all of a sudden. Micro-transactions are here. They're a way to obtain extra funds for new projects. People are willing to buy, so why not take advantage of that? Is paying $ 5 for a character make over any different than spending $5 on an outfit for your avatar in HOME? Not really. Both are pointless and useless in my opinion. And so I don't buy them.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Feb 5, 2010

I understand nobody needs to buy DLC but there are ways they coerce you into "needing/wanting the DLC".  I am just mad that gaming is facing a systematic fragmenting, What used to be included in full games now is sold separately as DLC.  Examples like Resident evil 5 online mode, costumes, maps, bank space in RPGs(DAO), and now changing a characters appearance... When will it end? Soon they will sell us a game where every level cost money, and there are 1000 levels, so you need to buy them all to complete the game, then you can buy the DLC that unlocks the end game cut scene, after which you are prompted to buy the DLC level randomizer to mix up the levels and change the color of your shoes, for your next round at buying DLC levels.  I think the name of the game will be "BUY NOW! NEW DLC LEVELS GAME! BUY NOW!".

To put it simply.....  FnCK the people who came up with selling parts of a game that used to be free as DLC!   Go milk a cow, us gamers don't have any money for you developers blinded by greed/stupidity.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
628 posts

Feb 5, 2010
There is still plenty of fun, productive DLC out there. Ignore the ones that aren't worth the money, buy the ones that you think are.  It's the same thing with everything in life.  If you don't want to buy it then don't buy it.
Message Edited by Tricky_Timmy on 02-05-2010 07:51 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
182 posts

Feb 5, 2010
dude have you played the assassins creed 2 DLC yet......sigh
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5830 posts

Feb 5, 2010
Well DLC's are optional, but look at it this way, most games with custom characters do not let you change their appearance after they are created, so they release a DLC that allows you to do this but at a small cost, it's not bad. If you really wanted to change your character you would buy it. So it's either a choice be stuck with the same character with no option to change them, or pay $5 to change them. DLC's are only meant to add stuff to a game, weither it's items, new characters, or new features, but i nthe end they are all optional, they don't stop you from playing the game.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3260 posts

Feb 5, 2010

DLC is great.  Have I ever paid for any? No.

I see your point in thinking its a rip-off, but it serves a purpose.  All of the people that pay for this stuff are helping the game companies.  I guess I'm too old or too frugal to pay for "skins", but I thank all the people that buy them.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
660 posts

Feb 5, 2010
i have mixed feelings about dlc. i am fine with dlc skins, or anything that doesnt effect gameplay. there is also nothing wrong with adding a big expansion on single player if the game does good and players want more. what i have a problem with are items you can purchase that do effect gameplay, giving you the edge. i hate day 1 dlc because it could be on the disk, and lastly i hate any map pack dlc because it divides the community(i still purchas it though).
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
840 posts

Feb 5, 2010

Whats with all the whining about DLC.  I for one love em and will always support DLC cause it continues give support to the Devs.   Not everything is free.   Thats like walking up to a Dev and be like "Yo give me your game for free"  Or someone on the street asks you for a dollar.  Not everything in Life comes free everything costs money.  

Yes there are bad DLC and there are Good DLC.  If your smart and know what DLC is good to buy then you would do some research before you buy.   Like everyone has stated "YOU DONT NEED TO BUY DLC"  its an option to get more out of your game.  Game development costs a huge amount of money and alot of employees.  Seriously what is $5 to you?  if you can't stand the fact of buying DLC then you just answered your own question correct?

If you look carefully EA has given out alot of FREE DLC in new copies of Dragon Age/Mass Effect 2/The Saboteur/Need for Speed Shift/Brutal Legends etc.

They way they see it is that, if they include the DLC in new copies of those games.  Then it counters people from buying it used,  and if you buy it used then well you may have to purchase DLC for that game if you want more from it.

DLC works in many ways.  

It pays the Devs even after the game has been released.  

It pays for Devs to continue working on that title for more expansions.

It pays for longevity

it pays for fans who want more

To me it seems like your one of those people who think Qore should be free and have included a free PSone game every month.

HA!

Don't Play Don't Buy!!! 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 33 (154 Views)
0 Likes