Oct 01 2010
By: PayneKiller1509 Fender Bender 3321 posts

Are there any games that have cheats or a god mode anymore?

20 replies 496 views Edited Oct 1, 2010

I miss the artificial mulitplayer action of GTA3 that I used to pit me and my friends up in alternating survival challenges against crazy peds with weapons.

I miss the days of just punching in a button combo and being granted instant invincibility, so I can wreak havoc on my helpless AI enemies with infinite ammo.

With the introduction of trophies/achievements we have seen many of these things that gave games more replay value just disappear. I know a few games still have the madness, like RE5, and some games have some weak cheats that even disable trophies, and I'm totally fine with that. And some games eventually make you overpowered when you max out your items.

But what are the games that you can actually go to a site like gamefaqs these days and actually find a list of cheats instead of trophies just to get that extra bit of juice out of your $60 purchase? 

Message 1 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1265 posts

Re: Are there any games that have cheats or a god mode anymore?

Oct 1, 2010

I don't think any games have those

Not even GTA4 feels the same without cheats. It's fun beating the game without cheats and the afterwards just unleashing your amazing ability to spawn tanks out of nowhere and spend 3 hours getting  to level 300 vigilante levels.

Ah, the good times... 

http://www.djdoubles.pixel-gamers.com - Personal Internet Radio.
Message 2 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Oct 1, 2010

GTA4 still has all the cheats from the previous GTA games.  You enter them through your phone.

http://www.cheatcc.com/xbox360/grandtheftauto4cheatscodes.html

Personally, I see cheats as a total waste of time.  Why play a game if you can't play it the way it was meant to be played?  But whatever a person finds fun I guess...

I can see maybe using cheats for fun in a game like GTA4 ONLY AFTER you have already done everything the right way, but that is just me.

EDIT

God of War 3 has a god mode as well.  The only thing is you have to find and unlock them and you can only use them after you have beaten the game for the first time.  Personally, I think this is how ALL games should handle cheats.

Shikenator Trophy Card
Message 3 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Oct 1, 2010

Shikenator wrote:

Personally, I see cheats as a total waste of time.  Why play a game if you can't play it the way it was meant to be played?  But whatever a person finds fun I guess...

I can see maybe using cheats for fun in a game like GTA4 ONLY AFTER you have already done everything the right way, but that is just me.

EDIT

God of War 3 has a god mode as well.  The only thing is you have to find and unlock them and you can only use them after you have beaten the game for the first time.  Personally, I think this is how ALL games should handle cheats.

Because we already had enough of playing it the right way and feel like playing it another way to get more out of the game?? That is what I said in my first post wasn't it?

Message 4 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5823 posts

Oct 1, 2010

Shikenator wrote:

Personally, I see cheats as a total waste of time.  Why play a game if you can't play it the way it was meant to be played?  But whatever a person finds fun I guess...the thing is though, is that cheats are in a game because they are meant to be played that way, the devs put them into games, its not like some random button presses or certain codes change the game code to add these things, they are there for another way to be played.

I can see maybe using cheats for fun in a game like GTA4 ONLY AFTER you have already done everything the right way, but that is just me.  i only disagree with this statement because some people don't want to beat the game. gta4 for example, i was excited when i bought it, but i never finished it because after all the other gta games, i got bored with this one kinda fast because, to me, it was the same old thing but with a different skin on it. i actually had a little more fun with it y using the cheat codes. i do agree with the way that EA handled the cheat codes in mercenaries 2 though, you could enable the cheats, but it disabled your trophies & online stats if you used them.

i hope you didn't take those comments the wrong way. i wasn't disagreeing with you, just a different perspective on it. 

there was an article in GI about a year or so ago which they had a couple of devs answer the questions about cheats, and they all said that cheats have fallen by the wayside because of time restraints, i.e. having to add other things to games that take time and dev cost, like having to add trophies, sort out and design DLc and things like that. looking at mercs2, you can almost see this, its a fun game, has tons of cheats, but the game itself suffered for it, there are tons of graphics glitches and things like that. i guess its a trade-off we have to live with.

Message 5 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Oct 1, 2010

Plenty of games still have cheats. GTA IV is not exception.

Your best bet is to look up your game on GameFAQs for relevant cheat codes.

Message 6 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5698 posts

Oct 1, 2010

ctfw529 wrote:

Shikenator wrote:

Personally, I see cheats as a total waste of time.  Why play a game if you can't play it the way it was meant to be played?  But whatever a person finds fun I guess...the thing is though, is that cheats are in a game because they are meant to be played that way, the devs put them into games, its not like some random button presses or certain codes change the game code to add these things, they are there for another way to be played.

I can see maybe using cheats for fun in a game like GTA4 ONLY AFTER you have already done everything the right way, but that is just me.  i only disagree with this statement because some people don't want to beat the game. gta4 for example, i was excited when i bought it, but i never finished it because after all the other gta games, i got bored with this one kinda fast because, to me, it was the same old thing but with a different skin on it. i actually had a little more fun with it y using the cheat codes. i do agree with the way that EA handled the cheat codes in mercenaries 2 though, you could enable the cheats, but it disabled your trophies & online stats if you used them.

i hope you didn't take those comments the wrong way. i wasn't disagreeing with you, just a different perspective on it. 

there was an article in GI about a year or so ago which they had a couple of devs answer the questions about cheats, and they all said that cheats have fallen by the wayside because of time restraints, i.e. having to add other things to games that take time and dev cost, like having to add trophies, sort out and design DLc and things like that. looking at mercs2, you can almost see this, its a fun game, has tons of cheats, but the game itself suffered for it, there are tons of graphics glitches and things like that. i guess its a trade-off we have to live with.

Perhaps, but at the same time I cannot see cheats taking that much effort. I mean after all a cheat is only a set code for the computer to translate into an item already in the game. Sure it has some coding, but other then a little bit of work I cannot see it being to much of a hassle.

It seems to me that cheats have always been a 2-way conversation with people. You always had people who loved them and those who hated them. Seldomly people who were in between. I personally thought they were a hoot. For this simple reason: you play a game to have fun, and what could be more fun then doing something insane that you are not suppose to do? To spawn a tank out of no where just to going rampaging through Vice City and have countless police cars attempt to "pull over" your vehicle is funny enough right there. Cheats are about having fun, and that's why people loved them so much.

Perhaps it was the integration of trophies, but I personally think it was the addition of online with this generation that killed cheats. Online suddenly seemed to have erased the need for any extra fun with a game. Instead of breaking the system people could go online and interact with others. A whole new world of fun. But, the thing is that doesn't make any sense when you think about it. Since online doesn't exactly cover the seat that which cheats had just vacated. Online gives the player lots to do sure, but cheats were always there for some instant ridicules fun. Sure you can go online now, but even still I found myself enjoying the little things in GTA IV. Just the fun of climbing the highest building in the game and spawning a vehicle "beside" me once I reached the top and watching it plummet to the ground. You cannot really replace that kind of fun.

Cheats are dead I'm afraid, but should be reborn if you ask me. It's one thing to play the story for the story itself and a total other to play a game to just have some cheap... Simple... Absurd... Fun.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Message 7 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Oct 1, 2010

cheats are fun i remember vice city putting in flying cars and cars float on water lol then dropping a tank and watch all the cop cars go flying over me and the peds riot cheat lol

Message 8 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5125 posts

Oct 1, 2010

Due to trophies, I doubt we will really ever see a God Mode through button inputs from here on much anymore.

Message 9 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4548 posts

Oct 2, 2010

YukitoKunisaki wrote:

Due to trophies, I doubt we will really ever see a God Mode through button inputs from here on much anymore.

I think your right on that part, It takes more work now to implement the cheats. They would have to make it so that it dis-ables trophy support. And then re-enables trophy support when the cheats are de-activated.. WITHOUT breaking the trophy support altogether.

primalcarnage Trophy Cardhref="http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/SignUp">Get your Portable ID!
Message 10 of 21 (496 Views)
0 Likes