Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 11 2013
By: ptmacey Sackboy 415 posts

will eu rule the (home)world?

[ Edited ]
23 replies 512 views Edited Oct 11, 2013

in an attempt to try find some info on the status and potential longevity of ps home i googled peter edward.

on his linkedin page i noticed with interest that his postion within pshome has either been renamed rebranded or promoted or whatever.As of sept 2012 his postion changed from "director playstation@home platform" to "senior director Global Playstation@home" of course this could realistically mean absolutely nothing but if home is actually in the process of being made into a single global home then it could potentially explain a lot of things that some of us have been basing pesimism on and the potential demise of home.

Most of the pesimism has been based  upon the evidence of usa home staff leaving or being moved to the digital platforms depts,the publishing stop in japan is also  rightfully viewed by us with pesimism.but if home is being remade into a single global platform run from london then it all seems  to fit in somehow it  could even  explain why eu gets all the home game publishing content (the disparity between game  content  amount seems there must have been some deliberate decision to push it to  eu seems beyond doubt)

other intersting things within his profile ,claims  to oversee a network which we can safely asume to be home has over  30 million users and he oversees a budget of $12 million yearly his own words are "Provide a stable client / server platform and infrastructure to 30m+ users and 150+ development teams with exceptional reliability and 24/7/365 availability."(the stable server client thing is debatable lol)

with my rose tinted specs im even viewing the publishing stop in asia/hk dated spring 2014 as suspiciously close to the  gaikai streaming launch.

With the user data upload it seems there is every possibility that home will be one of the games/services that sony plan to stream to ps4,vita,vita tv  and mabye  even mobile devices .

Just thought i  would throw in a bit of optimism and wondered on other peoples views

Message 1 of 24 (512 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3340 posts

Re: will eu rule the (home)world?

Oct 11, 2013

My view is that EU rulz and will be the only one left :smileyhappy:

awyeah79

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 2 of 24 (497 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1386 posts

Oct 11, 2013
30 million users?...

It might be more realistic to assume 30 million people tried Home once and never tried it again . But even 30 million sounds exaggerated..

Home might be on GaiKai though, I don't know ... But Home was originally designed in Europe so it makes the most sense that Europe should be the last region to retain it.

"Do you remember what today is , Jack?"
Message 3 of 24 (472 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4019 posts

Oct 11, 2013
(Insert doom and gloom below) :-P
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 24 (428 Views)
VP of Gaming
26061 posts

Oct 11, 2013

Is EU looking for work? Japan could use a hand.

Truthfully, I'm not concerned.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 5 of 24 (416 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2013

ptmacey wrote:

other intersting things within his profile ,claims  to oversee a network which we can safely asume to be home has over  30 million users and he oversees a budget of $12 million yearly his own words are "Provide a stable client / server platform and infrastructure to 30m+ users and 150+ development teams with exceptional reliability and 24/7/365 availability."(the stable server client thing is debatable lol)

Yeah, those look like typical resume (LinkedIn) exaggerations.

Besides the fact that instead of quiting Home like so many have, devs would be lining up at Sony's door to get dev kits if it had even a million (real and active) users let alone 30 million - unless you are willing to believe less than .1% of the users in Home participated in the Kikai event (arguably the best event ever held in Home - and was free to play - and had several sought after rewards - and was available in all regions at different times for several weeks) and where a large percentage of people on this forum already stated they played in multiple regions using multiple accounts, even playing it with multiple alt accounts in the same region just for the fun of playing the event from the beginning...

Yet, the total number of PSN IDs was only about 30,000.  When you take in account how many are alt and regional accounts, you might as well cut that number in half, which comes close to what devs have been saying and suggesting, that there is really only about 15,000 active users in Home (that was last year), and this year it looks like it's closer to 10,000.

As for the 150+ development teams... :smileyhappy:  Maybe if he is counting every single employee of every single developer in Home regardless of what other projects or services they do other than actually work on Home content. 

As for reliability and stability, well anyone being honest and that is an active user in Home knows this is a blatant untruth.

As for the 24/7/365 availability... That is hilarious.  Sony only has one tech support staff for the entire NA region, and when you call Sony Customer Support they wont support issues with Home and will only refer you to the Support Forum, unless you are wanting a refund - which apparently they have been giving a lot of refunds lately, as the rep I spoke with regarding getting a refund for Loot's Sunset yacht, said this was her fifth call that morning to do the same refund for that space.

Also, if they offer 24/7/365 availability, it's amazing how so many issues with Home never get any kind of resolution or even a response, even after years of them being brought to their attention.

I've been waiting 40 weeks for Heavy Water to even respond to an issue with their Avalon Keep space, and now they appear to have stopped supporting Home.

Look, I'm all for trying to find some possible future for Home, but based on so many mischaracterizations in his LinkedIn profile, it just makes me even more suspicious of anything they say about Home - and even that has been mostly "We can not say at this time" for the last year or so.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 6 of 24 (381 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3340 posts

Oct 11, 2013
His resume looks like it has been written in order to move to a different part of the company, rather than acting as a placeholder for his recent activity.

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 7 of 24 (374 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4682 posts

Oct 11, 2013
"Global PlayStation Home" could just be in reference to how the core client devs for all regions are based in Europe. I wouldn't be too quick to jump to the conclusion that NA and EU are merging or anything.

And yeah, the stable servers 24/7/365 thing is 5 steps beyond debatable to the point of ridiculousness :x I love Home and all, but no one could possibly be THAT blind to its flaws.

Message 8 of 24 (372 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3340 posts

Oct 11, 2013

StephieRawks wrote:
I love Home and all, but no one could possibly be THAT blind to its flaws.

I dunno about that. I can think of one person in particular :smileylol:

@conrad_max

Message 9 of 24 (365 Views)
Last Guardian
11806 posts

Oct 11, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

ptmacey wrote:

I've been waiting 40 weeks for Heavy Water to even respond to an issue with their Avalon Keep space, and now they appear to have stopped supporting Home.

Well accoring to one of their tweets they still work for Home. again they been too busy with their stuffs...

But we should tweet @heavyh2o and see what they can do for your issue with Avalon Keep

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 10 of 24 (341 Views)
0 Likes