Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
2949 posts

Re: "Wait, why was THAT censored?!" Word filter tweaks

Mar 21, 2010

i like your idea levasaurus

kudos cookie for you

BEWARE OF THE SPEEDING WHITE SAUSAGE!!!!!
mercia comic here --> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home-General/duty-to-the-spirit-mercia-comic/m-p/37428903/thread-id/1089731/highlight/false
Message 11 of 77 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Mar 21, 2010

I've always said I'd love for more freedom in Home. That includes the idea of lessening the filter.

I'm for freedom, let people see and talk the way they want (of course, there will be consequences. Be inappropriate and a griefer and harasser, face virtual extinction).

However, I'm also wise enough to know that apparently the Home Community cannot handle such freedom. As it is right now, people cuss up a storm if they don't like the color of a person's shirt (slight exaggeration there, but you get my point) here in the forums alone. Can you imagine how disgusting, vulgar, inappropriate, and fould the conversations would be if the Home Community were even given an INCH to say what they wanted, in the form of an option for filters?

I honestly believe the community is not mature enough to handle themselves properly if given such freedom. I'd love to have it. And I'd say those who have proven themselves mature enough to carry civil conversations should have it. However . . . I don't believe it is possible unless there's a HUGE shift in the maturity of the community.

I would say however, that they should really only filter the profanity. Any words that are "politically incorrect" (which basically can be any word at all if you think about it), should really simply be reportable if someone is deliberately intending to offend someone.

EDIT:

I would also say that the only place a person should have the ability to have no filter, is in personal spaces. That way friends can talk amongst each other freely, and there's no "accidental" overhearing, nor is there any trash that is forced upon anyone else in public spaces.

"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 12 of 77 (31 Views)
Last Guardian
10807 posts

Mar 21, 2010

Reverend_M wrote:

I've always said I'd love for more freedom in Home. That includes the idea of lessening the filter.

I'm for freedom, let people see and talk the way they want (of course, there will be consequences. Be inappropriate and a griefer and harasser, face virtual extinction).

However, I'm also wise enough to know that apparently the Home Community cannot handle such freedom. As it is right now, people cuss up a storm if they don't like the color of a person's shirt (slight exaggeration there, but you get my point) here in the forums alone. Can you imagine how disgusting, vulgar, inappropriate, and fould the conversations would be if the Home Community were even given an INCH to say what they wanted, in the form of an option for filters?

I honestly believe the community is not mature enough to handle themselves properly if given such freedom. I'd love to have it. And I'd say those who have proven themselves mature enough to carry civil conversations should have it. However . . . I don't believe it is possible unless there's a HUGE shift in the maturity of the community.

I would say however, that they should really only filter the profanity. Any words that are "politically incorrect" (which basically can be any word at all if you think about it), should really simply be reportable if someone is deliberately intending to offend someone.

Reverend brings up a very very very good point, if the forums have proven nothing else they have shown how nasty and hateful people can be. The internet tends to bring out the worst in people because there little to no real life repercussions of what they do or say. As a result many people will abuse such freedom when given to them. 

@Jim777PS
Message 13 of 77 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
761 posts

Mar 21, 2010

"I want freedoms, but on my terms?"  Authoritarian much?

Please note that nowhere did I say the filter option was to be MANDATED.  This would be a user option to have a toggle switch, to set the filter on and off as they see fit.

If you want a picture of Home's future, imagine a boot stamping on an avatar's face... forever.
What we have here is failure to communicate. Some people you just can't reach.
"I have this thing I do? It's called THINKING." -George Carlin
Message 14 of 77 (31 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3816 posts

Re: "Naughty" Words in Home, or "Wait, what?!"

Mar 21, 2010

gman_harmon wrote:

I know what you mean, tdarb, I'm not advocating swearing like a sailor just because you can turn the filter off.  I'm just saying it would reduce confusion by allowing the innocent words and phrases to appear, and not throw off a perfectly innocent conversation.

Oh of course. I didn't mean to imply that you were. I think that we all know what would happen if that option arrived though. People would swear a lot more.

Now I could see adding an 18+ option to clubs and remove the filters there. i could also see having an option on personal spaces with the same limitation on visitors. I just really don't like the idea of a universal option because of the ripple effect it would have in all of the public spaces.

On another note, I have seen the argument that if you don't like the words just turn on the filter. That, to me, is very arrogant and insulting to any intelligent person. I could just as easily say that if you don't like the filters, don't type anything in Home. It's the same mentality.

There has to be a balance acheived here. The filters do need work, but they are getting better as time goes on. It's just not fair to those of us that do not want to be around the language to say "oh just turn on the filters and pretend it's other words".

Message 15 of 77 (31 Views)
Last Guardian
10807 posts

Mar 21, 2010

gman_harmon wrote:

Please note that nowhere did I say the filter option was to be MANDATED.  This would be a user option to have a toggle switch, to set the filter on and off as they see fit.

Make sure to understand and comply with TOS and EULA, in there it states you cant even legally edit images taking in Home, just an example of how much of a catch all it can be.

As far as the option to turn the filter on and off, i do agree that giving users more options is always a good thing. However this would mean profanity would be allowed in Home, and its bad enough as i is when its not allowed.

Simply ask yourself do you really need to swear that bad? Does it really add anything to your conversation? And if the answer is yes then by all means go to a private space and add spaces or underscores to beat the filter or cuss over your mic. User control is a good thing, allowing swearing to not be moderated might no be so good. 

@Jim777PS
Message 16 of 77 (31 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Mar 21, 2010

gman_harmon wrote:

Wow . . . people sure have been reading completely wrong things from my posts as of late. It's getting rather ridiculous, and proves the point that people are awfully hostile when faced with contrary opinions. Where in the world did I even hint that I said anything about "my terms"? I said no such thing.

Here. Let me sum up what I REALLY said:

I'd love for everyone to have freedome.

However, people would highly abuse such freedom and cannot handle it.

Therefore, I don't believe we can ever have it unless things change.

HOWEVER, some things to get around that would be to filter ONLY profanity.

Oh, and also having the option of no filter for personal spaces.

"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 17 of 77 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
552 posts

Mar 21, 2010

Jim777 wrote:

gman_harmon wrote:

Make sure to understand and comply with TOS and EULA, in there it states you cant even legally edit images taking in Home, just an example of how much of a catch all it can be.

As far as the option to turn the filter on and off, i do agree that giving users more options is always a good thing. However this would mean profanity would be allowed in Home, and its bad enough as i is when its not allowed.

Simply ask yourself do you really need to swear that bad? Does it really add anything to your conversation? And if the answer is yes then by all means go to a private space and add spaces or underscores to beat the filter or cuss over your mic. User control is a good thing, allowing swearing to not be moderated might no be so good. 

It's not just that we want to swear! I don't casually swear just because, but I can't say words that I don't consider to be swear words at all! They're just stupid words that some people may be offended by, and in some situations, I need to use these words. I'm not talking about really vulgar words, either. I couldn't care less about those.

Message 18 of 77 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
703 posts

Mar 21, 2010

gman_harmon wrote:

I don't think Reverend is being authoritarian here Glenn.  He does make a good point that the community in general isn't mature enough to handle a toggle switch.  The general population in Home can't even be trusted with bubble machines, much less a toggle switch for the word filter. 

However, expecting the general maturity level to rise is unrealistic.  Unless Sony were to raise the age level for Home and enforce it, we're stuck at the current level of maturity. 

One can legitimately ask what a toggle switch would control.  Would it control what you can say or what you can see?  There is a big difference between the two and would affect our discussion.  After all, if the switch controled what I saw, then any immature swearing noob I could censor and not have to read his vulgarity. 

RockStar owes me AWP!!
Message 19 of 77 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
761 posts

Mar 21, 2010

J-T-W-NY wrote:

*snip*

I don't think Reverend is being authoritarian here gman.  He does make a good point that the community in general isn't mature enough to handle a toggle switch.  The general population in Home can't even be trusted with bubble machines, much less a toggle switch for the word filter. 

However, expecting the general maturity level to rise is unrealistic.  Unless Sony were to raise the age level for Home and enforce it, we're stuck at the current level of maturity. 

One can legitimately ask what a toggle switch would control.  Would it control what you can say or what you can see?  There is a big difference between the two and would affect our discussion.  After all, if the switch controled what I saw, then any immature swearing noob I could censor and not have to read his vulgarity. 

Perhaps I should have been more specific.  To turn the filter on and off would only affect the client.  So it would affect what we see, and not what we say.

If you want a picture of Home's future, imagine a boot stamping on an avatar's face... forever.
What we have here is failure to communicate. Some people you just can't reach.
"I have this thing I do? It's called THINKING." -George Carlin
Message 20 of 77 (31 Views)
0 Likes