Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 28 2013
By: GameMechanics Game Mechanics Developer 189 posts

"Sony says it will support PS3 for at least three more years"

28 replies 729 views Edited Jun 28, 2013

People are looking for a sign. This is a sign.

http://bgr.com/2012/09/24/playstation-3-support-2015-playstation-4-launch/

Message 1 of 29 (729 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5583 posts

Re: "Sony says it will support PS3 for at least three more years"

Jun 28, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

People are looking for a sign of Home. Obviously the PS3 will still be supported for a few more years. Even if there is no Home slated for PS4, we still have a few more years to enjoy it hopefully.

Message 2 of 29 (722 Views)
Survivor
1882 posts

Jun 28, 2013

The article is a little old (sept 2012) but yeah, still make sense.

My only real concern about all that is how long Sony will service the PSN...  How long would they keep a free network alive while the "PS4 network" is rumored to be a paid services.

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 3 of 29 (712 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
967 posts

Jun 28, 2013
Message 4 of 29 (699 Views)
Survivor
2038 posts

Jun 28, 2013
It's good to see the Devs coming forth with what little reassurance they can provide.

Idk why people are still looking to the Devs for answers. All those Devs are about as clueless as we are. They can tell us that PS3 will be supported for another 3 years+ which is obvious, anyway...I think we all pretty much knew that, on some level. But they CANT tell us if Home will be on the PS4 at launch and they cant tell us if Home will be on the PS4 once support for the PS3 has been dropped.

They simply just dont know.
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 5 of 29 (673 Views)
Survivor
2038 posts

Jun 28, 2013

"Support for the PlayStation 3 will continue indefinitely and the company has no intention of immediately shifting from the PS3 to the PS4."

This was worded to spin hype. Nothing is ever "indefinately" supported in the console industry. Every console has a lifecycle and every console has an eventual end. PS1 and PS2 has proven this. To think PS3 is going to run side-by-side the PS4 for all of eternity or the duration of the PS4's lifecycle....is a little absurd, to me. As soon as sales figures start to drop for the PS3, once PS4 has launched and begins streaming PS3 titles on the cloud...I guarantee you, Sony will look into dropping the PS3. This may be 3-5 years in the future, but it will happen. They just want to make sure the PS4 gets enough time to adopt as many followers as it can, before making the jump. 

Still...the $65 Million dollar question remains: What happens to Home once Sony discontinues support for the PS3? 

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 6 of 29 (647 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
967 posts

Jun 28, 2013
By that time, Home would be on PS4. But that's a long ways off.
Message 7 of 29 (624 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1882 posts

Jun 28, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:

"Support for the PlayStation 3 will continue indefinitely and the company has no intention of immediately shifting from the PS3 to the PS4."

This was worded to spin hype. Nothing is ever "indefinately" supported in the console industry. Every console has a lifecycle and every console has an eventual end. PS1 and PS2 has proven this. To think PS3 is going to run side-by-side the PS4 for all of eternity or the duration of the PS4's lifecycle....is a little absurd, to me. As soon as sales figures start to drop for the PS3, once PS4 has launched and begins streaming PS3 titles on the cloud...I guarantee you, Sony will look into dropping the PS3. This may be 3-5 years in the future, but it will happen. They just want to make sure the PS4 gets enough time to adopt as many followers as it can, before making the jump. 

Still...the $65 Million dollar question remains: What happens to Home once Sony discontinues support for the PS3? 

I think you answered you're own question. Nothing is eternal in this digital age. 

If making huge effort to have an app like home work on both machines seems to make sense. If you look just a little farther in the future, it doesn't. Why would you want as a business to run such an old app based on a more than outdated architecture on your new cutting edge technologies machine?

I don't know if there will be a "PS4 home". What I do see is more and more open world MMO console based games .

But for now. Let's enjoy what we have... For a couple more YEARS!

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 8 of 29 (608 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5015 posts

Jun 28, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

http://bgr.com/2012/09/24/playstation-3-support-2015-playstation-4-launch/

That's not a new article...It's old....  So no ones know for sure if PS3 will be supported 3 years after PS4 comes out now.

It might... But how long did PS2 get supported after PS3 came out? It's been so long ago i forgot when they dropped it. But i say this? If PS4 becomes PLUS only to play online.... I have a Feeling that there gonna make PS3 buy PLUS sooner or later to play online also...  Unless the Servers they are using on PS4 are new servers and they run better than what PS3 uses now they might remain free due to that being bad servers and all... LOL!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 9 of 29 (593 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2038 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 28, 2013

"On January 4, 2013, Sony announced the discontinuation of the PlayStation 2 after 13 years of production, making it one of the longest produced video game consoles of all time. This came just a month before Sony unveiled the PlayStation 4 console on February 20, 2013"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

PS3 is nearing it's 7th year into it's lifecycle. If it follows the same footsteps as the PS2...it could possibly see support for another 5-6 years down the line. BUT...thats comparing it to the PS2, which is considered to be the highest grossing video game console of ALL TIME. The PS3 might not meet those standards. 

Message 10 of 29 (580 Views)