Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
408 posts

Re: playstation false advertisements

Aug 4, 2012

With ps home i personally find its best to check or view any of the more complex sounding items before purchasing anything ,ask if any friends have the items etc ask questions here on the forums and such.

Ps home has a history of being ,lets say rather exuberant with its descriptions of items so i would urge caution before purchases.

Whilst we regular homies understand that these creative licenses on the descriptions is usually just  part of the sales oomph and to make the items sound more exciting the fact that the descriptions no doubt add a significant amount to impulse purchases demonstrates that some are indeed on the edge of being illegally described.

I m not deliberately trying to make this a negative reply its just that over the years ive seen so many friends disapointed with broken and badly described items even youngsters spending birthday and christmas psn cards on such things its can be quite pitifull and often brings me almost to tears.

And whilst over exagerated descriptions may add a little short term impulse buys devs must surely understand that the long term success of the products depends upon its perceived  quality and/or function(it does nt take long for  word  to get round that something sux)

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (188 Views)
Lombax Warrior
171 posts

Aug 4, 2012

ptmacey wrote:

With ps home i personally find its best to check or view any of the more complex sounding items before purchasing anything ,ask if any friends have the items etc ask questions here on the forums and such.

Ps home has a history of being ,lets say rather exuberant with its descriptions of items so i would urge caution before purchases.

Whilst we regular homies understand that these creative licenses on the descriptions is usually just  part of the sales oomph and to make the items sound more exciting the fact that the descriptions no doubt add a significant amount to impulse purchases demonstrates that some are indeed on the edge of being illegally described.

I m not deliberately trying to make this a negative reply its just that over the years ive seen so many friends disapointed with broken and badly described items even youngsters spending birthday and christmas psn cards on such things its can be quite pitifull and often brings me almost to tears.

And whilst over exagerated descriptions may add a little short term impulse buys devs must surely understand that the long term success of the products depends upon its perceived  quality and/or function(it does nt take long for  word  to get round that something sux)

Right, why am I spending real money on broken things..things that are limited in use and functionality..overbearing it's lost it's novelty,

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
408 posts

Aug 4, 2012

There are some fantastic value items on home too that have given me years of good use  and value ,and the trend of exagerated descriptions has certainly calmed down a lot over the past few months indeed some advancements and products i think were underexposed such as when loot spacestation apt launched and real music and films became available on the eod,whereas i felt like it should almost be on the national news or  something it barely got a mention even on the ps blog.

The recently  improved  communications from third parties on the forums here particularly from ndreams regarding the problems and limitations with the blueprint apt were mostly aknowledged even before the apt was released ,I bought the apt  and am very happy  with it because i was aware of the limitations beforehand and did nt feel duped  or cheated.

I apreciated the honesty regarding the faults and think that honesty is the only real way forward for home from the managment and third parties and anyone else involved with home only in this way can we as  consumers have trust and confidence with the platform as already too many have turned away from home

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (131 Views)
Wastelander
837 posts

Aug 4, 2012

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1582 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 4, 2012

I find it amusing when kids, who spend their lives staring at a game monitor while their mommies do all the shopping, first notice what sales and marketing businesses have been doing ever since the invention of the monetary system. Open your eyes and look at the world around you. Sony is not doing anything different than what has been happening for hundreds of years.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1838 posts

Aug 4, 2012

Misleading or downright false advertisement isnt new yes. But if i buy a $100 item in a mortar n brick store and it doesnt do what it said in the add. Chances are the store will end up with a lots of problems, including fines from authorities.

Will I try to fight a megacorp, based in another country for a $1 vitual item false advertisement? probably not.

I love Sony but be honest. Many of the "ad" we see with the item push it more than needed. Lots of missing information that you wouldnt see in the physical world from honest company. 

After  some bad choices you can usually decipher the "home language" One hint: If you think "it must do.."  or "it should do..." it probably doesnt. 

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (81 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29119 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 4, 2012

It's important to preview any items you can before buying them. The problem with Home is there is a NO RETURN policy even with a receipt. I know I always like to see things either in a preview in the mall or in world.

Not everything is has it seems and being cautious is not a bad idea! 

Its not unusual for marketing to try and oversell things. That happens not only in Home but in real life as well. 

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1582 posts

Aug 4, 2012

I haven't heard of a successful false advertising lawsuit in a very long time. Corporations have teams of lawyers making sure that everything is worded exactly correct to avoid lawsuits, and it seems to be working. When it comes to law, the devil is in the details.

How many times have to walked through the grocery store and seen products that the label suggests is the greatest thing since the invention of fire? You buy the item and it turns out to be nothing special. Well, this is not unique. I would say that probably every product in the world tries to make you believe it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. When people find out it's not true... They don't care, because society has become desensitized to this. They may even continue buying the product.

The bottom line is, be very careful what the words specifically mean. And recognize if they are leading you to assume something. Because when it comes to the law, the very literal meaning of the words is what counts.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (70 Views)
0 Likes