Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3127 posts

Re: Xi: Continuum is Revealed – Believe it ... it's true!

Nov 28, 2012

Aeternitas33 wrote:

Have not read this entire thread, or all of the related threads, but have a few remarks to make nonetheless.

I don't know if Xi: Continuum will draw in large numbers of new users. I don't think it really matters. People often ask "What is the purpose of Home?" When outsiders take a look and try to judge the service based merely upon the virtual items that are made available for sale, of course they're going to come away confused.

I'm probably a voice crying in the wilderness at this point, but I still think of Home primarily as a social service first, and a gaming platform second. Whether the games are linked to console games or strictly Home games is also irrelevant to me, because I view the games primarily as a way to get people interacting with one another.

In the absence of an overarching purpose, of course things will devolve into anarchy, with people attempting to create their own "fun" through trolling and other antisocial behavior. I think Home needs Xi: Continuum simply for itself, to get people engaged with one antother, and not just within their own regions, but hopefully across regions. The Activity Board was always a poor excuse for this type of engagement.

Thank you, nDreams. :smileyhappy:

Hey Aeternitas, 

I might not agree with you on the Gameing Platform, second, and social network 1st, yet I am starting to lean toword more equil rather then 1st being a gaming platform as of late,  I sure hope the anarchy thing doesnt ring true honestly, As for the interaction, and Team work thing, that is an awesome fenominum that happens with most ARGs... And I think you are righjt about the Un region thing, and for that I will be thankful... its been a long time, yet I think your right, Home does need a game like this, and I am slso thinkful that Ndreams is doing this, despite my history with this subject and the anger I still sadly seem to hold.  Expressions like Sorry and I appologise and Do wonders for emotions like Anger and Sadness... accnolagment of mistakes can also effect those emotions. 

Hope you and your Friends are doing well, its been a long time from the last time we have crossed paths... 

Photobucket
Message 81 of 99 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 28, 2012

Hi Patchex,

As many have observed, in Home people tend to become friends first, and then start gaming together second. At least that's been my experience. Of course Sony wants people to play games, and the argument I hear from the other side is that you can't just throw people into Home and expect them to start talking to one another.To me this is a false argument, because how often do you meet people in the real world that you instantly click with? Not often, right? So why should it be any different online? Where do people get the idea that you can just make "instant friends" by logging into Home?

In my experience you can't just throw people into Home and expect them to start gaming with one another either. Yes, you can play an online game with a stranger, but it's not as satisfying. And yes, you can add them to your friends list, but how often do you really talk to people you meet that way? In my experience not often. I guess it's somewhat of a paradox, but if you want people to game together in Home, I really think you need to improve the social aspects. This is why I'm glad to see Xi: Continuum come to Home.

Message 82 of 99 (309 Views)
Fender Bender
3127 posts

Nov 29, 2012

Aeternitas33 wrote:

Hi Patchex,

As many have observed, in Home people tend to become friends first, and then start gaming together second. At least that's been my experience. Of course Sony wants people to play games, and the argument I hear from the other side is that you can't just throw people into Home and expect them to start talking to one another.To me this is a false argument, because how often do you meet people in the real world that you instantly click with? Not often, right? So why should it be any different online? Where do people get the idea that you can just make "instant friends" by logging into Home?

In my experience you can't just throw people into Home and expect them to start gaming with one another either. Yes, you can play an online game with a stranger, but it's not as satisfying. And yes, you can add them to your friends list, but how often do you really talk to people you meet that way? In my experience not often. I guess it's somewhat of a paradox, but if you want people to game together in Home, I really think you need to improve the social aspects. This is why I'm glad to see Xi: Continuum come to Home.

Hi again...

I see what your trying to say... and I don't think you wrong... yes it is more fun to game with Friends, and folks you make friends with, sadly seems I don'r get to do that much, maybe a personal issue with time I guess... Most I play with on HOME are Strangers... I guess thats a personal experiance... I do have friends I meet with on HOMe for socialization, Yet I should mention, I am a gamer first lol, again a personal thing, preferance I guess... yet the Friends I do have from HOME are also remarkable gamers, and great at Team work, as well as great conversationalists. They Listen as well as input... share Ideas... so for that I am thankful to HOME and its community... sadly you are wrong about the second part... Xi 2 is not a team Game, its a more single player thing from what I am reading, and not live play like Xi... I don't know if I ever came out and said it, so I will now, cause I really think I owe you an explination, last time we met on home we were kinda clashing in the conversation department. the items I was complaining about with the lady we were with, was not because of the Price, it was because of the workmanship and the moral...

In 07 I helped a small team of folks I thought were friends build a game. It was for a Man who was very sad that he missed an ARG. So we built one for him... it was my idea, yet being the kinda person I am, I knew I could not do it alone, I knew it was a team project. So I worked with them, and it was a very awsome Highlight of My life, then some things went really wrong... people started getting greedy and stabing folks in the back over something that was supposed to be from a community of friends to another friend. Ill give you one guess what the game is now called.... 

Anyway, Xi was a team game cause it was made from the start to be a team game. Not all HOME stuff is made for Team work... 

Photobucket
Message 83 of 99 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
738 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

nDreams just posted FAQs link for Xi2 on their twitter - http://www.xi2.com/faq.html

Xi: Continuum FAQs

Do I have to play Xi: Continuum live? What if I miss the start?

Unlike the original Xi, you can play Xi: Continuum at any time; either live or at your own pace. The websites and in-game content unlock with your personal progress - so you can start playing at any time. People who start on the first day will find that the in game 'days' are unlocked every 24 hours, so you will be able to play 'live' with all the other players who start playing straight away. But you don't need to play live, and can enjoy Xi: Continuum at any time, at your own pace.

How much will it cost to play?

The original Xi was free, as Sony funded the game to help introduce people to PlayStation Home. Xi: Continuum is a commercial game, and we need to make our money back in order to keep building Xi and expanding the game in the future! After an introduction to the world, players will need to pay around £5.99 ($7.99/€6.99) for an agent pack (final pricing TBC).
This pack will give players:

• Access to the whole of Xi: Continuum. Experience and be part of the first chapter of an evolving story.
  • The massive 'Vertigo' apartment. Additional areas unlock as rewards as you progress.
  • Flying robot companion
  • 10 in-game associates to fight for you in single and multiplayer combat games
  • Teleporter active item; jump into Continuum from any personal space

Players won't need to spend any more money to play through Xi: Continuum, although there will be additional merchandise available if you want it.

What platforms is it on?

Xi: Continuum is exclusive to PlayStation®Home, which is a free virtual world available to anyone who owns a PlayStation 3. If you don't own a PlayStation 3 but like these kind of games, sign up to our newsletter so we can let you know about our forthcoming tablet and browser games!

Want to keep up to date with Xi?

Register for the nDreams newsletter by clicking here- we promise not to use your email address for any other purpose, and we'll send you occasional updates from the studio with information about Xi and sneak peaks of new projects that we're working on. You can also visit our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter or visit our website.

Will we have to wait another 3 years for the next Xi after this?

No - we are already working on the next chapter which will launch soon after Xi: Continuum ends. We'd love to continue to build Xi, and welcome your feedback!

Message 84 of 99 (245 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1852 posts

Nov 29, 2012

So the "fiver" they mentioned earlier was in UK terms... $8 for each Chapter?  hmmm

Message 85 of 99 (231 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29222 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

anamri wrote:

So the "fiver" they mentioned earlier was in UK terms... $8 for each Chapter?  hmmm

Well it's my understanding there will be a one time fee for this and that users won't pay as they go. If that isn't the case personally I most probably won't participate. I will consider a one time entry fee however.

Screen shot 2012-11-29 at 7.32.32 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-11-29 at 7.32.20 AM.png

Message 86 of 99 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
9380 posts

Nov 29, 2012
I havent discussed much about xi lately as it depresses me to hear xi wlll be another paid sidegame. It lost more than a half of luster reading the last article also which basically ruins a large plot point in the game (i wont repeat the sequence of events, but it is no longer a mystery in many regards, what is up with these clues currently) at least for me. I was really hoping this may evolve Home to the next level as I have been waiting for years for. Unfortuneately I fear not many will care seeing it as a pay venture, and just continue with Home as a feeding trough for those compulsive quick buys of joy, until it all fizzles.
Im being negative but I have been waiting for this for years and its only similar in name and some premises, this isnt what I and Im sure others were truly expecting. Also, a 'fiver' is NOT $7.99 :/
Whatever I'll puzzle with you all and help, but my heart broke a little inside finding out what we're really working with here.
/endsadrant
Support Forums
Message 87 of 99 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4209 posts

Nov 29, 2012
I think 5$ is ok, you get a space, plus a companion for the fee, plus the game to play, plus who knows what else the game will unlock. So bring it on, i got my entry fee put aside and am very excited for the return of XI.... XI2 will be a blast i think.
Message 88 of 99 (207 Views)
0 Likes
nDreams Developer
514 posts

Nov 29, 2012

Quick one, Theres still going to be community interaction.

The content used in the OPM article was taken when PAtrick and I went to see them in Bath, England when using the phrase a "around a fiver" was talking in British Pounds. Looking at the exchange rate £5.99 / €6.99 translates to around that mark. 

Joey

nDreams Digital Product Manager

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ndreamers
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/joeydale13
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ndreamers
Message 89 of 99 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
233 posts

Nov 29, 2012

I can't believe it's going to be pay to play, that is utterly ridiculous. Makes me lose a little bit of respect and excitement for it. A lot of my friends won't be able to play with me. That was the fun of the first Xi, EVERYONE was involved. And if you want funds, make side items and merchandise that people can buy, don't cut the whole community out of it. I feel like I'm back to when that Carnival thing was announced, only to find out that you need to buy a stupid ticket just to play any of the games and the games aren't even that good anyway.

But, I also can't believe that I'm actually going to pay for this game. .__.; I can complain, but I'm still gonna be paying the $7.99. They better not ask for any more money out of me though for an event that should be open to everyone. I already know a few Home users that have been attracted back to Home at the mere mention of Xi, myself and some old friends included, and this is just killing the momentuum.

Message 90 of 99 (180 Views)
0 Likes