Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 14 2013
By: GuiltyBlaze Hekseville Citizen 277 posts

Why pay to win?

[ Edited ]
22 replies 455 views Edited Jul 14, 2013

Why? :smileysad: I really like some of these mini-games but I'm immediately put off by the pay-to-win items. I do work and I could buy these items, but I refuse to do so.  It just feels...dirty :smileysad: What merit is there to skill when mini-games are determined by who has the bigger wallet?

I noticed some of these mini-games are pretty deserted too, hard to find people for them.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 23 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
588 posts

Re: Why pay to win?

Jul 14, 2013

Look at it this way: Would you go to work everyday if you never got paid?

These developers are here to make a living, not spend months making a product to give it away for free. There are plenty of free games in Home to win rewards playing. Paying to play means developers make money to  bring you more products and rewards. A lot of developers give away free preimum items from time to time, just have to be on the look out!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 23 (395 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
248 posts

Jul 14, 2013

If you want a nice free mini game on psh that takes some skill, I'd recommend resistance station.

Look at me, being helpful. O__o

FF14 > PSH x1000

i96 WAR
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 23 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8923 posts

Jul 14, 2013
Originally in Home most games were free to play minigames like the one Darcness suggested which is a Resistance minigame. Most games werent very engaging and the service generated money via clothing and personal spaces. Around 2010, Home underwent a transformation with the goal of turning Home into its own game platform so to speak. Then came the rise of moderately better and more engaging games with paid add ons like weapons and in game boosters etc., and now we rarely get any games we dont have to pay to enjoy. A well developed game has add ons that increase your enjoyment, but unfortuneately there are many games in Home where if you buy certain items you basically jump to the top of the leaderboard or win the game. Home is a moneymaking venture for the developers and they hope to make a return with every game, some are just more obvious cashgrabs. I saw you in Peakvox Ninja yesterday which I assume you are referring to GuiltyBlaze. That game can be a long drawn out ordeal to complete if you go into it without any upgrades. Its possible to get to level 50 without buying anything, but there are alot of pros that have bought weapons and armor which makes battling them quite difficult when they have that edge.
Support Forums
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 23 (284 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Jul 14, 2013
Oh hello Smokingpistol, I knew you looked familiar. You were at peakvox ninja xD Nice to meet you.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 23 (277 Views)
Gaming Beast
1871 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

Home is on the bottom of the shoe of Sony and third party devs are getting as much as they can while they can:

http://www.splatf.com/2011/11/sony-profits/

Sony makes its money from insurance and banking NOT electronics in which they where founded as.. If Sony spread out as a company they may make more profits and excel in products.. Management is confused what to do..

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 23 (266 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
506 posts

Jul 14, 2013

rewards,  what rewards

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 23 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
568 posts

Jul 14, 2013

why pay to won? because winners dont do drugs.

but really some things might be worth it to prgress further to get rewards or jsut beause you like the game. some games it just makes it easier to play but they arent really needed like novas prime or mercia. but really it just sounds to me like someone has been getting owned at minibots arena (hopefully by me)

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
228 posts

Jul 14, 2013
It sounds like you aren't a fan of the freemium model for games. I personally consider weapons at Edo as essential; I NEVER could clear it with the bamboo sword.

The other model is for developers to sell the games. Slap Happy is a good example of this, but you need to schedule your play for when others are online (Friday nights).
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/Slap-Happy/td-p/37402212

I like the freemium model that offers the path to premium stuff through currency you can earn online (like Sodium 2, just don't expect to earn major upgrades through the Scorpio's mini game).
Home spaces in heavy rotation (where you're most likely to find me): Southern Island Hideaway (1 treasure left to find), Acorn Park, Serenity Plaza, Aurora, Pottermore (all public spaces and Hufflepuff Common Room. I am always willing to do trivia on the Hogwarts Express), Peakvox Labs, and Sodium spaces.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 23 (200 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2995 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

jimmynet wrote:

Home is on the bottom of the shoe of Sony and third party devs are getting as much as they can while they can:

http://www.splatf.com/2011/11/sony-profits/

Sony makes its money from insurance and banking NOT electronics in which they where founded as.. If Sony spread out as a company they may make more profits and excel in products.. Management is confused what to do..

Those are old numbers from 2011, but Sony certainly still makes it's money in electronics, it's the largest category on the graph, "consumer products and services."  But I don't see anywhere on those graphs where it would be implied Home is anywhere near the bottom of that category, since the graph isn't sub-categorized.   Here's what I see in those graphs:

To quote directly:

"Sony's biggest revenue generator is, as expected: electronics."

(Meaning the largest portion of this graph is "consumer products and services."  That would include Playstation, and Playstation Home. amongst, all the TVs, Camcorders, and other consumer electronics they make, as well as services such as Music Unlimited.)

...and:

"Sony's biggest profit generator is unexpected: Financial Services."

That just means this is where they make the most money per unit, not the most money overall.

For example, say a retailer sells two brands of TVs.   A name brand, such as Sony, and a house brand, brand X (which is exclusive to that retailer.)

The Sony TV might sell for $500, but the cost to the retailer is $400.   That's $500 dollars of revenue, but only $100 of margin (profit.)

They sell Brand X for $400, but the cost to the retailer is only $250 because it's made with cheaper parts.  That's $400 dollars of revenue, less than the Sony TV, but it's $150 dollars of margin, so it's more profitable.   

So selling 100 of the Sony TVs makes the retailer $50,000 in revenue / $10,000 margin dollars, but selling 100 of Brand X makes the retailer only $40,000 revenue ($10k less than the Sony TV,) but $15,000 in margin ($5k MORE than the Sony TV.)  Less revenue but more margin.

So which is better to sell?  Well that depends on the actual volume the retailer can sell of each unit.

That's why large corporations diversify so much!  :smileywink:  

Personally, I spent 12 years in the retail industry, and we had a saying... "REVENUE IS KING!"

In this case, Sony by far is bringing in the most amount of revenue from electronics. (the blue band on the graph is the widest one.)  However, their investments in financial services are more profitable.  

OH, and back on topic, there are many reason to pay to play.  For some it's to complete the games faster.  For other's it's to support content they enjoy or the developer.   Many are a mix of the two.   And there is still a bunch of people that prefer to not pay, even if it takes longer to complete some games.  In any case it's up to you what you chose to pay for in Home, and if it justifiably increases your enjoyment of your time spent in Home. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 23 (189 Views)