Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
1118 posts

Re: Why is Home still in beta?

Feb 28, 2014

Jersquall wrote:

Usually technology companies keep products in beta for a short period of timee as a transitional phase between "alpha" and the official release. Beta releases also tend to be more buggy than the final version and Home will always be buggy with constant updates and content.

Home's Beta label is just a way for Sony to signal users that they're still tweaking the service and adding new features. Jack Buser, said that Home will remain in beta "indefinitely."

"We quite like the name 'open beta,' so you can expect us to stay in open beta for some time," said Buser.

The beta label better conveys the "constant feature refinement" consumers expect from SEN application. Of course, the end of Home beta won't signify the end of feature updates, so the distinction means very little. In fact, it may just be a marketing ploy to give Home a cutting-edge feel or even a technical stage of development.

A lengthy beta phase is not exclusive to Home. As of September 2008, almost half of Google's products were in beta, including Google Docs and Google Finance. Google News was in beta from its launch in April 2002 until January 2006.

Has Sony ever came out and said anything of significance regarding Home being in beta or about it coming out of beta? They don't care because Home isn't living or dying based on the Beta name

Why do you always sound like your selling a car or something??   We all know how those people are!!    I just wish, someone would get their act to gether over there!!! 

photo 90years_zps08bfda1e.png
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 34 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8625 posts

Mar 1, 2014

Ghost_12985 wrote:
I went on Home for the first time in a while the other day (bought a new PS3 because the PS4 has like 2 games) and noticed that it still said it was in beta.
Its been like that since 2013.
Is home still in beta or did the devs just not bother to change the title screen?

Home has always been in a beta the Closed Beta started in 2007 and I think the Open Beta started in 2008.

Why is Home still in the OB?  Well it's due to all the bugs and exploits in Home they don't meet Sonys higher standards.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 34 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8625 posts

Mar 1, 2014

Jersquall wrote:

Usually technology companies keep products in beta for a short period of timee as a transitional phase between "alpha" and the official release. Beta releases also tend to be more buggy than the final version and Home will always be buggy with constant updates and content.

That is only hearsay.  Your here to tell us that it is 100% impossible to do away with the bugs and exploits in Home?  Funny thing is I've been on other VR worlds like Home and they don't have these problems.  

Home's Beta label is just a way for Sony to signal users that they're still tweaking the service and adding new features. Jack Buser, said that Home will remain in beta "indefinitely."

People keep trying to defend Sony by saying this and I just don't get the point.  Indefintely does not have to meen forever it's just a way of saying that Home will stay in a OB tell Sony feels that it's time to take it out of the beta.  BUT!  People like you imply that Sony is saying that Home has to stay in OB forever.  

"We quite like the name 'open beta,' so you can expect us to stay in open beta for some time," said Buser.

The beta label better conveys the "constant feature refinement" consumers expect from SEN application. Of course, the end of Home beta won't signify the end of feature updates, so the distinction means very little. In fact, it may just be a marketing ploy to give Home a cutting-edge feel or even a technical stage of development.

As I said before in no way is a beta "cutting-edge" for the most part as you said your self and other on this topic your just telling the world that your program is buggy. :smileytongue:  

A lengthy beta phase is not exclusive to Home. As of September 2008, almost half of Google's products were in beta, including Google Docs and Google Finance. Google News was in beta from its launch in April 2002 until January 2006.

Has Sony ever came out and said anything of significance regarding Home being in beta or about it coming out of beta? They don't care because Home isn't living or dying based on the Beta name

So can you name a program that has been in beta longer then Home?   Your point is it's not exclusive but you only talk about a beta that didn't last as long as the Home beta and is now out of beta.  So Home must have the world record  or something.

GAPHome

General

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 34 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
395 posts

Mar 1, 2014
@King0fHearts2007
I meant since I started in 2013
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you play LBP2? If so, could you take the time to check out my levels?
Check out my LBP.ME
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 34 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16276 posts

Mar 1, 2014

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Jersquall wrote:

That is only hearsay.  Your here to tell us that it is 100% impossible to do away with the bugs and exploits in Home?  Funny thing is I've been on other VR worlds like Home and they don't have these problems.  

Like Second Life? Not in beta. So it seems to be a matter of preference and thats on the powers that be.

People keep trying to defend Sony by saying this and I just don't get the point.  Indefintely does not have to meen forever it's just a way of saying that Home will stay in a OB tell Sony feels that it's time to take it out of the beta.  BUT!  People like you imply that Sony is saying that Home has to stay in OB forever.  

You seem to think that Sony has a final product coming out of beta at some point. if so When?

As I said before in no way is a beta "cutting-edge" for the most part as you said your self and other on this topic your just telling the world that your program is buggy. :smileytongue:  

Kind of speaks for itself, yeah?

So can you name a program that has been in beta longer then Home?   Your point is it's not exclusive but you only talk about a beta that didn't last as long as the Home beta and is now out of beta.  So Home must have the world record  or something.

Snail mail, Gmail beta was pretty long but yeah. Again, You seem to think Sony is treating this like a week old beta where we look for glitches and issues. What's next, king. A stress test? when was the last time you reported something to Sony about a beta issue? 2007-8?

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 34 (261 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8625 posts

Mar 1, 2014

Jersquall wrote:

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Jersquall wrote:

Like Second Life? Not in beta. So it seems to be a matter of preference and thats on the powers that be.

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.  I've only used Second Life once so know very little about it.  So?  Are you implying that SL is a success story and it is possable to have a VR world out of beta?

Your original argument was "Home will always be buggy" so "if" SL is not in a beta where are you going with this?

You seem to think that Sony has a final product coming out of beta at some point. if so When?

I never said that.  All that I'm saying is that it is possable for Home to come out of the beta with a little hard work from Sony.  Also not only is it possable there are other VR worlds that have been able to do this.

Kind of speaks for itself, yeah?

Again lost Sorry...

Snail mail, Gmail beta was pretty long but yeah. Again, You seem to think Sony is treating this like a week old beta where we look for glitches and issues. What's next, king. A stress test? when was the last time you reported something to Sony about a beta issue? 2007-8?

I think I already answered this.  But if Sony works on Home they could fix most of the problems that are going on with Home right now.  This would not be an easy job and would need a few core updates but it is possable.

When ever we post on this BBS we are giving Sony feedback.  When ever we talk about ISE we are letting Sony know what we want fixed.  Just a day or two ago I posted how impressed I was with the nDreams new LED ticker.  That to is feedback.

GAPHome

General

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 34 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16276 posts

Mar 1, 2014

Same thing I have been saying for years, King

Sony doesn't care about the title Beta. Pretty obvious considering they never talk about it.  Doesn't mean a whole lot this late in the game. They removed the name from the Home logo years ago and you only see it when logging into Home.

Think I am done talking about it also lol.

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 34 (250 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8625 posts

Mar 1, 2014

Jersquall wrote:

Same thing I have been saying for years, King

Sony doesn't care about the title Beta. Pretty obvious considering they never talk about it.  Doesn't mean a whole lot this late in the game. They removed the name from the Home logo years ago and you only see it when logging into Home.

Think I am done talking about it also lol.

The title is Home!  The title tells everyone where Home is and where it's going.  It also tells us that Sony does not feel that Home meets there higher standards. 

They removed the "title" from the Home logo years ago?  Why is it when I log-on to Home I get this screen then?Home lon-on.jpg

Sorry I know it's a little on the dark side but I seem to be able to see something else in this pic.

Home lon-on2.jpg

Yea, it seems to me that Sony still want the beta in Home.  But...  Your still telling us "They removed the name from the Home logo years"

People have come onto this BBS and told us that they have refused to spend any money on Home when it's in beta.  Advertisers?  They have all but abandoned Home.  Third party game developers have left Home and other servers of Home are going off-line for good.  I think Sony very much cares that Home is still in beta but the program it's self is no longer makeing the money it needs to stay afloat.

GAPHome

General

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 34 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16276 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2014

Although I have enjoyed our conversation on the matter, King I can no longer go on with this topic. I am afraid someday you're going to snap from playing ''I'm right'' :smileywink:

logo1.png

Forum logo

Forum.png

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 34 (210 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7170 posts

Mar 1, 2014

Jersquall wrote:

Although I have enjoyed our conversation on the matter, King I can no longer go on with this topic. I am afraid someday you're going to snap from playing ''I'm right'' :smileywink:

Maybe he's still in beta and that's why we see these problems. I hope he comes out of beta one day...it would be simple enough if some issues were addressed. I'm giving feedback here...you're welcome.
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 34 (200 Views)