Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 25 2013
By: D-Nitrate Treasure Hunter 4131 posts

Why a case can be made that Sony has given up on Home.

76 replies 978 views Edited Jan 25, 2013

Let's just face the inevitable fact that Sony either doesn't know how to manage Home or doesn't care.  There is plenty of evidence that over the last year Sony appears to have decided Home is like a slum, and they are the landlords just doing the bare minimum to keep the place from totally falling apart while they cash all those rent checks from 3rd party developers who are doing their best to keep Home an interesting place to be.

What evidence is there to back that assumption up?  

Well besides the exceptionally sub standard level of communication and support, especially for a company as large as Sony and for a service they claim has over 27 million registered users, and is their center piece to their entire PSN service. Just look at the recent content from Sony....

They've barely released any new clothes, furnishings, games, or spaces in months.  I don't think they even offer a single LMO item.  

They haven't had a quest in many months, and rarely host any events any more, leaving others to run them.  

We haven't seen a noticeable change in the service or core updates in almost a year, despite the many problems and shortcomings of the sercie.  

They even have largely or entirely stopped promoting Home along time ago to the general public and even within the gaming communitY.  They didn't even mention it at E3 of all places.

It would not surprise me at all to find out that Sony's current strategy for Home is to do the absolute bare minimum to keep the service running in order to meet the contractual obligations they have made with 3rd party developers, and when those contracts expire, and or when the developers lose interest, they will shut the service down.

Which would also help explain why after all these years they STILL say Home is in beta.... LOL

Despite the many years of development, going back as far as 2005, Home has never come close to reaching its potential, and based on how it's currently being run, it's perfectly reasonable to predict it never will.

Is it too late to save Home?  I personally don't think so, but Sony would have to make some significant changes, and based on their past history, that is unlikely to happen.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 77 (978 Views)
Limit Breaker
16273 posts

Re: Why a case can be made that Sony has given up on Home.

Jan 25, 2013

When you're done cooking your main meal and you are ready to move on with your banquet  you  put your main dish on the back burner and have others watch over it.

Home is still here and it's being supported.

..  and that's all I have to say about that.

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 77 (898 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
393 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Home's progress has always been in fits and starts. There seems to have been both complaints and praise about Home from the beginning, and personally I don't see last year as being any different.

Home does serve a purpose for Sony. It's used to promote console games, it makes money from the sale of virtual items, and its availability does give the PS3 a unique feature, so I don't think Sony will shut it down.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 77 (867 Views)
Fender Bender
2910 posts

Jan 25, 2013

I don't think Sony has given up on Home, because it makes so much money for them. I just think they gave too much control to the third party company's and developers, and they don't care what we the people want. They don't listen enough to our suggestions and that's why we get so disappointed with some of the content that gets released. 

bobs fed signature
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 77 (837 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Since home beta launched there have been no details of of the financial state of home released publicly which can only mean 1 thing and that is that home does not make any money for Sony at all , and having a loser like Jack Buser in charge of it isn't helping either.I really liked home in its early years but I for one will be happy to see its name omitted from anything to do with playstation 4/orbis

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 77 (816 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

I dont think Sony has given up on Home at all.

In fact I honestly believe that this was their plan all along. They built the platform, slapped a perpetual Beta tag on it and added the initial content.

During phase II, they lured in some big dollar developers (Lucas Arts, EA Sports, Red Bull) and ran some marketing events (theatrical releases, Norelco, Axe) etc...

Once the bigger companies realized they had been fleeced by Sony due to the contractual agreements, those company's pulled out.

Phase III, paved the way for the newer smaller 3rd party developers and its pretty coincidental that this is around the time Sony reduced its developers kit from 10,000 to a mere 2,000.

It wouldnt be in Sonys' better interest to complete give up on a turnkey operation that nets them profit while they actually pay very little back out.

Its legalized pimpin is all. They make the 3rd party developers do the work content wise...and Sony gets paid for it.

9m3i4.gif

This is evident for several reasons. For one...call customer support and youre directed here to the forums, and recently I read they plan on doing away with any type of call in support for Home.

GlassWalls constantly reminds us how sparce his time is, and we all know that there is a lack of staff available to address issues promptly or provide information. Proof of that is when the blog was moved to release date "to insure accuracy"...but....yesterday an item was listed for release and never made it. So...I just dont bother swallowing everything we are told, because its frankly not the truth.

Sony is operating Home with the bare minimum because it generates a greater profit.

And this is why I don't believe they no longer care, because its obvious they do care. But its the money that they truly care about.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 77 (805 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Jan 25, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

They haven't had a quest in many months, and rarely host any events any more, leaving others to run them. 

The developers behind the quest system left the Home team. There's still regular holiday events. E3 in 2012 was the best yet.

D-Nitrate wrote:

We haven't seen a noticeable change in the service or core updates in almost a year, despite the many problems and shortcomings of the sercie. 

v1.65 - April 25, 2012

• UI overhaul (Menu Screen)
  • Shopping from Wardrobe
  • Alerts integrated to the dpad
  • New Voice Chat system added
  • Visual display of furniture slots
  • Real time game stability improvements
  • Expansion of cross game invites from Home

v1.70 - September 12, 2012

• Locomotions
  • Freezers stopped
  • Camera became an emote
  • Commerce system improved
  • Improved ignore & block functions
  • Connection stability improvements

D-Nitrate wrote:

It would not surprise me at all to find out that Sony's current strategy for Home is to do the absolute bare minimum to keep the service running in order to meet the contractual obligations they have made with 3rd party developers, and when those contracts expire, and or when the developers lose interest, they will shut the service down.

You're just now realizing this?

It's been a little obvious since Buser et al. left early last year. Sony spent a lot of money on the redesign in late 2011, but it didn't matter to the average gamer. Shy of giving away free PSN credits, Sony will never erase the stigma of Home being "that lame chat game with all the ads which freezes my PS3."

As with anything in life, if you like Home, enjoy it while you have the chance.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 77 (790 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Sony has fallen for narsacism,

"trust me" I know how to make it work.

Not working yet, "we are close",

still not, " we have everything on the verge of coming together"

Reality they havent given up. they were sold a bill of goods.

Bad decisions, marketing, and directions, by low positions with manager penciled in the new title simply for aesthetics, not qualifications or actual responsibility, or experience.

Bad "managemant" is NA homes biggest flaw.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 77 (745 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8976 posts

Jan 25, 2013
Honestly, it took me 4 years to get to this negative stance but if Sony will do the bare minimum to support Home, I will as well. I will still make purchases, but there is no way I'm dropping cash like I used to. I find it hilarious when new users (within the last year) wade into conversations about Home changing. If you werent here before the Hub, you really cant be in a position to see a change. This place changed around winter 2011, and I have been holding my breath for a year to see if we could progress in a better way than indicators show, but alas it is abundantly clear, this place will continue to fall apart. Sorry for the negativity, but this is the way I feel (and I'm not pessimistic by nature, its just hard to see NA decline, it really is).
Support Forums
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 77 (702 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jan 25, 2013

The third party developers are the best thing about home. they listen to the forums, many participate, ask for feedback, impliment suggestions, give free items and rewards.  Some have really stepped up and gone above and beyond. New ones within the last 18months especially have. Juggernaut, digital leisure, Heavy water.  Many of the ones that have fallen off, are sony shell subsidiaries.  some brand new ones have been around listening, and hit the ground running with really good imaginative, interesting content. Sony Management is off taking a nap, and the 3rd party is what is keeping home playable and solvent.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 77 (690 Views)