Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 05 2013
By: steamheart Sackboy 403 posts

Where do they go after they are gone?

[ Edited ]
15 replies 435 views Edited Jul 5, 2013

Like many of you, I sometimes find myself missing public spaces that are no longer available.  I understand that HOME is constantly evolving.  The layout of HOME changes as old places fall out of popularity and new locations are added.  What I often find myself wondering is where these old locations go after they disappear from the navigator.  Are the assets used to create and implement those locations simply deleted? 

You occasionally see old public locations pop up as personal spaces in the EU version of Home.  Different regions of HOME retain a location or locations long after they have disappeared from other regions.  Some users have retained access to an event space long after it had been rendered inaccessible to the majority of users(some users have coined the term "off-navigator" to refer to these locations).  I assume policy on the repurposing, deletion, or removal of older content differs dependent on region.  This is, however, simply an assumption. 

How about it?  Do any of you have experience with coding or programming?  If you do, I would be interested in hearing your insights on how you would handle these older areas from a technical standpoint.  Additionally, any suggested reading on how similar situations are handled in other "simulated reality" games would be welcome and appreciated. 

Message 1 of 16 (435 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4488 posts

Re: Where do they go after they are gone?

Jul 5, 2013

When these spaces are gone, either they go  to a special place....I like to call it....ps home dungeon....some of these spaces can escape and be accesed by others....others are they for eternity

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 2 of 16 (423 Views)
MVP Support
6419 posts

Jul 5, 2013

They are added to Magnus list of removed spaces :cattongue:

The spaces are no longer available to the public but they are still on the servers

KANE-FIRE

Twitter  Welcoming Committee [INFO] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD WWE 2K15 Game Nights [INFO] WWE2K15 [INFO] Resident Evil Revelations 2 [INFO] Resident Evil HD Youtube 

Message 3 of 16 (417 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5441 posts

Jul 5, 2013

steamheart wrote:

Like many of you, I sometimes find myself missing public spaces that are no longer available.  I understand that HOME is constantly evolving.  The layout of HOME changes as old places fall out of popularity and new locations are added.  What I often find myself wondering is where these old locations go after they disappear from the navigator.  Are the assets used to create and implement those locations simply deleted? 

That's easy. They end up as backdrops on the Virtual Showcase videos.........:smileytongue:

Message 4 of 16 (378 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2844 posts

Jul 5, 2013

:^/ Creating a virtual 3D space takes a lot of time and effort by talented modelers. The more detailed the space is, the more work is requiired to create it. Believe me, a programmer likes to keep oodles of redundant backups of his work. So, even if a space is removed from a server altogether, it still exists somewhere, and could be returned if the developer decides to.

I'd say that the usual thing is for the space to remain on the server, and for the link to it to be removed from the navigator.

Message 5 of 16 (336 Views)
Fender Bender
2879 posts

Jul 5, 2013

I hope they do save this stuff, in an archive somewhere. It would be a complete shame to delete it, because to me, these places and items are art( even the ones not as well recieved or made fun of). I hope one day, in one of the modern galleries in the world, they will set up stands with displays where one can actually examine them. It would not be hard to do. I once went to a place where we could play  a game not even available online at the time  and the game makers had their sketches and things there for us to look at and comment on.

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 6 of 16 (325 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
165 posts

Jul 5, 2013
You know everybody talks about missing central plaza, but for me, I really miss the old mall. I think its because it was more open. It had actual stairs and chess plus the fountain on the bottom floor. I loved that fountain. Some people would just stand in pose positions in it like human statues you pass on city sidewalks IRL. I think some of them may have stayed like that all day lol
Message 7 of 16 (311 Views)
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Jul 5, 2013
Many have seen this but some are still accessible to anyone who has them saved on the favorites list, like the old mini's space among others. Others get relegated to /dev/null
Message 8 of 16 (307 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Jul 5, 2013

steamheart wrote:

You occasionally see old public locations pop up as personal spaces in the EU version of Home.  Different regions of HOME retain a location or locations long after they have disappeared from other regions.  Some users have retained access to an event space long after it had been rendered inaccessible to the majority of users(some users have coined the term "off-navigator" to refer to these locations).  I assume policy on the repurposing, deletion, or removal of older content differs dependent on region.  This is, however, simply an assumption. 

How about it?  Do any of you have experience with coding or programming?  If you do, I would be interested in hearing your insights on how you would handle these older areas from a technical standpoint.  Additionally, any suggested reading on how similar situations are handled in other "simulated reality" games would be welcome and appreciated. 

The truth is I don't know...  But I'm led to believe Sony just deletes them.  The very first space to be deleted was the Warhawk space wich was very successful in getting players who play the game together and game launch right into the game.  After it was deleted I never saw any space that even looks like it ever again.  There was also the very cool PSH Event space Sony said it took them months to make they used it a few times and then nothing.  Seems like a wast of time and moeny if you ask me.  Sony "could" have one space they could use over and over again every time there is an event.  But seems like every year (Example E3 this year) Sony wants to make a new space and spend all kinds of time and money on it just to have it open for a few weeks.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 9 of 16 (294 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5441 posts

Jul 5, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

The truth is I don't know...  But I'm led to believe Sony just deletes them.  The very first space to be deleted was the Warhawk space wich was very successful in getting players who play the game together and game launch right into the game.  After it was deleted I never saw any space that even looks like it ever again. 

I did.....:smileysurprised:

warhawk.jpg

Message 10 of 16 (248 Views)