Mar 14 2007
By: GibFather Lombax Warrior 194 posts

What would make HOME compelling to the GAMERS?

17 replies 10 views Edited Mar 14, 2007
Okay, now that I've got your attention, I would really like to start a constructive thread regarding what players would want out of HOME to make it useful.

Aside from the obvious that HOME will bring gamers together, what will keep it from being a gimmick as time passes on? Are virtual parties, bowling, and allowing other players to view your throphies really all that compelling in the long run? I understand there will be those who will get into the socializing aspect of what HOME is trying to be but I am sure there's more to HOME than that.

But if you visit other forums that discuss what this idea is all about, many will say they want to play games not socialize in a virtual world. So through a gamer's point of view, what is your thoughts about what HOME has to offer you to enhance your gaming experience on the PS3? Will HOME be a place to meet and play mini-games? Or are there bigger ideas that HOME can evolve to?

HOME is designed to promote an online community. But as members of that community, what other things would you like to do in it aside from what's already been mentioned?

Please, keep it positive and constructive. Do not take things personally if others criticise your ideas/opinions. I am hoping this thread can generate new ideas and maybe inspire those developers currently working on HOME. Hopefully in the end, HOME can cater to a wide range of gamers who are looking for casual encounters or a compelling gaming experience.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3158 posts

Re: What would make HOME compelling to the GAMERS?

Mar 14, 2007
a friend suggested to me a virtual Fight Club!! a place to do that would be kool.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Mar 14, 2007
Home does nothing for gaming.  All game functions can be done faster in the XMB.  Home will be a Social Network only.  I wish Sony would not waste resources on this non-game stuff.  I bought the PS3 to play games.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Mar 14, 2007

c7 wrote:
a friend suggested to me a virtual Fight Club!! a place to do that would be kool.

Hrm...a secret society? Interesting idea. Would be neat to see how HOME can tie various fighting games together by way of record keeping? So say the fight of the week focused on Virtua Fighter 5. Players can make secret challenges and play against each other, or some kind of weekly ladder system is employed to match players up? The results will be tallied and players can gain scores/ranks within this club. Only problem is, we'd need more online fighting games.

The virtual space of HOME can be used to gather players together, or have them do tasks that might benefit other members of HOME without anyone knowing.

Message Edited by GibFather on 03-14-2007 12:26 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Mar 14, 2007

LynnD wrote:
Home does nothing for gaming.  All game functions can be done faster in the XMB.  Home will be a Social Network only.  I wish Sony would not waste resources on this non-game stuff.  I bought the PS3 to play games.

I understand your frustration with how you feel Sony's focus is leading to. But try to have an open mind and see if YOU can find a way to make it more than a socializing tool. If you had some creative say with regards to HOME or how games are integrated into it, what do you envision?
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3158 posts

Mar 14, 2007
how about a virtual live camera of players in a game from the lobby or apartment ,obviously having it selectable only by friends on your list.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Mar 14, 2007

c7 wrote:
how about a virtual live camera of players in a game from the lobby or apartment ,obviously having it selectable only by friends on your list.

But how is that compelling for gamers? Remember what this thread is aiming to achieve. How will the online aspect of HOME make playing games more fun?
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Mar 14, 2007
what homes has to offer me?

well, besides socializing, it gives me a chance to express my self, I plan on useing all their tools to build a place where I can advertise my artwork, also, I would definately use it to get a good sneak peek at upcomeing games, like if ubisoft had a public place that led into current games they have, make another room that shows a list of upcoming games and updates about the games and they are produced... theres an idea... also, just too let you know, socializing in the number one reason I want it, too be able to visit with all the ps3 owners and to hang out with my friends and join an online game straight from home when I get there...
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3158 posts

Mar 14, 2007

GibFather wrote:

c7 wrote:

But how is that compelling for gamers? Remember what this thread is aiming to achieve. How will the online aspect of HOME make playing games more fun?

you'll have spectators,your friends will see you beating thier top scores live,umm..they'll see how you look in a new selected car you aquired. they might not even have the game they are watching you play but decided to get it once you showed them how good it is or vice versa lol

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
896 posts

Mar 14, 2007
I envision Home being a portal to my gaming experience. At present, everything seems disconnected. We have Forums and Chat rooms over here and the PS3 over here and oh yea publishers websites over here with additional information and content about games.

I believe what will really make Home compelling to gamers is not so much the social aspect but the abundance of themed lounges where new ones pop up every month. Without good quality lounges people will eventually get bored in Home and will not come back. The content (ie. themed lounges) has to be an important aspect of Home.

When I buy or try a new PS3 game, especially one that is online, I want to be able to log into Home and check out the themed lounge for special info on those games.

In addition, I would also like to host classes or discussions in Home to talk about the gaming and 3D online environments. And if the opportunity arises turn Home into a profittable online business. I ran a virtual business in Second Life prehaps having one in Home centered around gaming would be great.

I like the "one stop shop" places and Home has the potential to do that for me.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (10 Views)
0 Likes