Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 11 2010
By: PaperCarrier Survivor 2549 posts

What is HOME without sharing and giving?

20 replies 4 views Edited Jan 11, 2010

What is HOME without sharing and giving? (more on this later) I know that Playstation Home is still in it's early stages or on it's "BETA" stages of evolution but hasn't it been since the the PS2 days?  It's 2010 now. HOME is something that we should've had the since the day that PS3 was launched and same with other features like trophies and XGC (We still don't have yet).  Why are we still so behind in all this.  They've announced to us this unique new service that was worked on since the PS2 days over a year after the launch of the PS3, a service where PS3 users could gather in 3D social environments to text chat and/or voice chat, launch into any game together, have a party with your friends and share streamed media in your personal spaces, share stats and display trophies in the new Hall of Fame, play multi-player mini games with friends right from their personal spaces. Nothing said about the ability to make gifts to friends but what happened to all of this.  Where's  our true "HOME" ???  I know  it's a pretty complex project that had been worked on and tested for years but should it have really taken this long to go live? What happened?    

I believe that more functionality, sharing and giving is extremely important for our PS HOME'S success in the future as well as for the community in the future.

What needs to happen soon. 

-The ability to invite guests into personal spaces without having to first add them as friends.

-We need the ability to gift items from the mall or the PS store to friends.

-We need to be able to share streamed video and audio with friends directly from our HDD or from other sources.

-The ability to play multi-player games such as cards, dice, checkers, pool and more with friends in personal spaces.

-A trophy display area to see and share with friends.

-More facebook and twitter support.

-Open public voice chat with improve functionality and conference calling needs to be added or enabled.

-All PS3 games should have supported game launching for HOME and have unlockable rewards.

If you have any comments or anything more to add to this please feel free to post.

-Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (4 Views)
I Only Post Everything
855 posts

Re: What is HOME without sharing and giving?

Jan 11, 2010
The only thing I can accurately agree on is the personal space inviting and multiplayer games. Giving gifts? Now this isn't meant to be rude towards you, but who the hell buys something to give it away? In r/l yes ok I understand. I like my virtual friends and all but thats MY DOLLAR lol. Sharing streaming media........I like but won't work. Copyright infringement bottomline. Trophy Room is coming. Open voice chat was a nightmare. All I heard were things so profane Beelzebub wouldn't use them. But conference calling is a solid idea. Nice post btw.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (4 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1038 posts

Jan 11, 2010

voice chat will only work with responsible adults--  which 95% of the users proved not to be when the live chat was open... sharing media is one of the worst and most ill-advised ideas ever to come out of the "home think-tank"  --   kiddies already have there bit torrent feeds to download thousands of dollars worth of movies and music per month for free-- no need for any of that &#$%*  on the ps3.

nothing else to add to what was already posted above.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1698 posts

Jan 11, 2010

PaperCarrier wrote:

-The ability to invite guests into personal spaces without having to first add them as friends.

Yeah I agree with this. Sort of like the same way we can send messages on the PSN to people who aren't friends, simply by typing in their username.

-We need the ability to gift items from the mall or the PS store to friends.

As for the person that disagrees witht his... why? It won't hurt anyone and since a lot of people agree that Home contests are better when hosted by actual people instead of Home managers themselves, this would make it even better, with more prizes to give away. Believe it or not, a lot of people buy stuff for friends online, myself included.

-We need to be able to share streamed video and audio with friends directly from our HDD or from other sources.

Probably too many problems here to account for and I don't see it happening any time soon. Perhaps SOME video content but have it be strictly limited from a certain selection. The ability to stream ANY media we want seems very far fetched right now.

-The ability to play multi-player games such as cards, dice, checkers, pool and more with friends in personal spaces.

I'm sure we'll get the option someday. I mean it's another source free income for them and a lot of people would gladly play to have current games in their personal spaces

-A trophy display area to see and share with friends.

I don't understand why  people want this to be honest. I'm perfectly happy with the ability to compare trophies with friends as it is. I don't need a clunky system in Home that lets me show off my trophies when the system implemented through the PSN works perfectly fine.

-More facebook and twitter support.

Agree but couldn't care less for it.

-Open public voice chat with improve functionality and conference calling needs to be added or enabled.

See above answer.

-All PS3 games should have supported game launching for HOME and have unlockable rewards.

Not happening since this is up to the developer, not some code to implement in Home. More games released in the future need this option but to have games released in the past have it, it's just not coming.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
703 posts

Jan 11, 2010

ThePaleOne wrote:
The only thing I can accurately agree on is the personal space inviting and multiplayer games. Giving gifts? Now this isn't meant to be rude towards you, but who the hell buys something to give it away? In r/l yes ok I understand. I like my virtual friends and all but thats MY DOLLAR lol. Sharing streaming media........I like but won't work. Copyright infringement bottomline. Trophy Room is coming. Open voice chat was a nightmare. All I heard were things so profane Beelzebub wouldn't use them. But conference calling is a solid idea. Nice post btw.

I do.  The fact is, we make close friends in Home and there are many times I would love to buy something for a friend of mine.  A gift to say thank you, to tell them what they mean to me.  I think it's a shame that Sony's policy is to say that items bought on an account can only be used by that account.  This is something which I really wish Sony would address and change. 

In the end of the day, what better way to make friends than to give gifts?  Even if they are simple little download items. 

RockStar owes me AWP!!
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (4 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5208 posts

Jan 11, 2010

ThePaleOne wrote: 
Giving gifts? Now this isn't meant to be rude towards you, but who the hell buys something to give it away? In r/l yes ok I understand. I like my virtual friends and all but thats MY DOLLAR lol.

Perhaps some of us have family members that are on PSN and would like to give items to them or vice versa?

Honestly gifts for even friends would be ok too.

Honestly, I feel guilty because one of my PSN friends (wont say name) actually gave me a 20$ PSN card (well the code) for my birthday and I thought they were joking they would give me one because I did not ask for one, yet they gave it to me. So if possible I would have liked to returned the favor @ least by giving them like a shirt or too you know?

Batman-Why do we fall? WE fall so we can learn to get back up!
Nightwing- No! that's not true, we fall because SOMEONE pushes us. We get up....to Push Back!
N52 Nightwing 30

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
515 posts

Jan 11, 2010
i don't know what the hold up for streaming music from our ps3 to our persanol space(s) is, its a good idea. as for movies etc, i think there would be legal issues involved. (just my two cents worth)
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3867 posts

Jan 11, 2010
Because they're understaffed and paranoid? 
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (4 Views)
Sackboy
502 posts

Jan 11, 2010

PaperCarrier wrote:

I like all your points but I think this is the main thing. When I first became interested in Home all I wanted from it was the ability to stream media content in private spaces with friends. Though I still think that'd be awesome, the reality is is that Home exists on a gaming system and for Home to be relevant it needs to be primarily about the games that system plays. We need to not only be able to play most online PS3 games from Home, it needs to be in such a unique and appealing way that it becomes the preferred way of playing games. As an example: a Wipeout HD space with a screen where live games can be observed. Stats and leaderboards. Also some sort of utility to organize and launch games returning to the space post-game in as seamless a way as possible. Admittedly, that is asking for a lot. Which is why the only way it would work is if it's paid for. Developer's need to start making exclusive public spaces rich in features that augment the online aspects of their games and offer them as Home-related paid-for add-on content. I just don't see it happening any other way. If a few developer's do it and other developer's see them making money at it then they'll start doing it too. Before you know it there's a ton of games that can be played from within Home and Home finally realizes it's potential as a gaming community hub. I know what some may say: Home is supposed to be free. It's free in the same way that going to the mall is free. You can hang out at the mall all you like but if people don't buy stuff the place will close.

Screw you guys. I'm going Home.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (4 Views)
Splicer
60 posts

Jan 11, 2010

Personally, I think the whole "gift giving" thing could either be a really GOOD thing, or a REALLY BAD THING.   The way I see it, it's hard enough to find someone on home I really care to spend time with, much less would want to give gifts to.   Even in real life it takes a lot of time to get to know someone well enough to really know for sure that you would want to be good friends with them, and the only way we have of getting to know people on home is through texting, mic chatting, or sending pictures.   No matter what you choose to do or how you choose to do it, it's extremely limiting.

If I were to give a gift to one of my home friends, it could go one of two ways.  Either they would turn out to be a "real friend" and appreciate the gift...or they could turn out to be the kind of friend that would eventually expect ANOTHER gift, or even worse, get mad at me for giving gifts to someone else.   My point being, you just never know until you try, and in my opinion, it could just cause too many unforseeable issues with trying to retain good friends on home in the first place.

Of course, you could always tell a friend that you give a gift to to "not ever say anything about it"...but then again...do we really need the kind of head games that can go along with having friends in real life in PSHome as well?

I don't really think so.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (4 Views)
0 Likes