Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 31 2013
By: JulianMatisse Welcoming Committee 4010 posts

What do you do about begging on Home?

42 replies 608 views Edited May 31, 2013

I've noticed a few patterns when meeting new, random people on Home. People that come up to me and say "Hello", "Please add me" and then send you a friend request (without any other conversation) are almost always looking for you to gift them something, or send them a PSN card code. I just ignore those and delete the requests.

But even people who I have a nice conversation with, and perhaps spend some time helping them get rewards will send me a friend request and, inevitably, 2-3 days later comes the XMB messages to give them something. For the longest time, I would just delete them from my friends list and move on.

Recently, however, I started to re-think this practice. By doing this, aren't I just shoving these people off on someone else. Shouldn't I try to help them find ways to "earn" what they can't afford, instead of leaving them to continue with behavior that may lead them to alienation and ire? Perhaps the individuals may even be unaware of what they are doing to receive such a response.

So, the last time this happened. I decided to conduct a social experiment. I offered advice to check the forums or join a club that regularly gives out prizes to the winners of various competitions. I explained that people were often put off by people asking to be given something for nothing. 

This was apparently, the wrong course of action. The response I received in return was quite angry. I was referred to as a "female dog" on more than one occasion. (misspelled, of course) and then I was promptly deleted from their friends list. (I'm really broken up about the loss, but I shall endure). :smileywink:

So my question is, what do YOU do about people who appear to only want to friend you to get closer to your wallet?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 43 (608 Views)
Uncharted Territory
694 posts

Re: What do you do about begging on Home?

May 31, 2013

I tell them to add you. :smileylol:

This doesn't happen to me often, but when it does, I LOL and stop talking to them.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 43 (591 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4010 posts

[ Edited ]
May 31, 2013

LittleTortuga wrote:

I tell them to add you. :smileylol:

This doesn't happen to me often, but when it does, I LOL and stop talking to them.

Perfect! That explains why I get 2-3 a week!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 43 (585 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29161 posts

May 31, 2013

I've had it happen a couple times at acorn asking if they could help them get clothes from the gift machine. I potilely tell them I'm sorry but I can't help. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 43 (584 Views)
MVP Support
6760 posts

May 31, 2013

I would delete them altogether and want nothing to do with them anymore. I used to have a friend who befriended me so he can get games off my account (which is odd because I think he's capable of buying stuff with his own money). I politely refused to do it and he decided to delete me out of anger but I put him under my block list so I can distance myself from him.

As for the begging on Home, I would normally ignore them and tell them not to ask me that again. I remember a fella in Acorn Meadows asking me to give him LKWD gifts without first knowing me. I even turned down his offer of friendship. I bet some users are like that, getting something they can't give in return to a friend who was generous.

As for you helping them "earn" rewards they can't afford, you don't have to be swayed and feel obligated to help them. They don't even deserve any sympathy from you if they can't put any effort on their part.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 43 (575 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29161 posts

[ Edited ]
May 31, 2013

I think having a "Free Tab" at the Mall Stores would be useful for new users. It's hard enough to find things let alone having to look through everything to find something that might be free.

Other regions use the Free Tab and I think North American should as well. Adding and removing items from there from time to time would be nice and might also encourage new users to perhaps spend more time in the service. 

The default  clothing made avaialbe for new accounts is extremely limited and hasn't been updated for ages. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 43 (566 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4010 posts

May 31, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

I think having a "Free Tab" at the Mall Stores would be useful for new users. It's hard enough to find things let alone having to look through everything to find something that might be free.

Other regions use the Free Tab and I think North American should as well. Adding and removing items from there from time to time would be nice and might also encourage new users to perhaps spend more time in the service. 

The default  clothing made avaialbe for new accounts is extremely limited and hasn't been updated for ages. 

They have this feature in other regions, and I think it's great. Never understood why they don't have it here. At least we have a listing in AZ4 that we can refer people to.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 43 (557 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4425 posts

May 31, 2013

Make a thread about it?

ldrr

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 43 (551 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29161 posts

May 31, 2013

They discontinue items in the Mall all the time. Put a few in a free tab. It'll only make the service better. Not everyone who comes to Home has money to spend. If they hang around long enough they'll probably get the money at some point. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 43 (551 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4855 posts

May 31, 2013
Delete, delete, delete. Simple as that :smileyhappy:
Legendary_Vicki's SigLegendary_Vicki   Welcoming Committee v2.0 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 43 (543 Views)