Aug 28 2012
By: Keara22HI Survivor 2284 posts

User Created Events

26 replies 282 views Edited Aug 28, 2012

The amazing success of the Scavenger Hunt last Sunday and the Maze Run two weeks before, has me wondering what sort of events to create next.

Here are the limitations:  Public spaces are OUT.  Too many problems with malicious freezers.  This means using Club Rooms with a capacity of 32 each.  Or personal spaces with a capacity of 11 guests.  For example, in the Scavenger Hunt we had 6 hosts with personal spaces running 4 hunts each.  Maximum capacity:  240 contestantts.  So, suggestions need to fit those parameters.

Next question:  must prizes be offered when it is a user-created event?  If nDreams had not rescued me, all those prizes would have come out of my pocket the same way the Maze Run prizes didt.  Are there enough people in Home who just want to participate in a fun event for an hour that they don't need any other motivator?

Last question:  given the level of negativity and cynicism that I see in Home every day, are there enough people out there who still want to have fun in Home that it is worth the weeks of work it takes to plan, promote, and produce such events?

Halloween:  we would like to design an event to celebrate Halloween.  Given these limitations, do you have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 27 (282 Views)
VP of Gaming
26570 posts

Re: User Created Events

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2012

First off, I want to say that these events are great and I was very pleased to be invited to one of them.

As it is late, I will be brief. I think user created events can be exciting and fun. I do think there are many people in Home who would enjoy participating in them. Are prizes needed? Maybe sometimes. It may depend on the event. And as we have seen on this forum and the Activity Board, there are a few people interested in free things, whether a PSN card or virtual item.

And to attract more community involvement, make use of this forum and the Activity Board.

What kind of themes for events? We have the major holidays and some not so major. And maybe an event just because.

Lastly, an idea for Halloween would be to create a haunted house atmosphere where the Blueprint Home can be used to give that scary feeling. If you can have sound effects using Mass Media's Sneak Attack, that might give people a few goose bumps. Especially to those who are falling asleep when they show up to participate. What a surprise that would be!

I really wish Mass Media would put out more sound packages.

Anyway, I would like to see more user events on the scale of the recent ones. I'd like more community involvement. Either with prizes or not. But most of all, I want the participants and event managers to have a blast.

Good luck. 

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 2 of 27 (272 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Aug 28, 2012

Freezers hopefully won't always be a problem but until that day comes.. Even in public spaces users still have issues with others interfering. What I have been wanting for years now is the ability to RENT space servers. I know keara likes to create ''private'' servers but that's not enough in my opinion and I don't care for the creation of them for several reasons. I think Users need control for parties and events.

I would like to see rented servers in which users can also use their home items. Rent or buy would open up so much and line the pockets of those who pay for server space. Will never see the light of day but a guy can dream ..

HomeStationMagazine
Message 3 of 27 (258 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
6021 posts

Aug 28, 2012

Keara22HI wrote:

Next question:  must prizes be offered when it is a user-created event?  If nDreams had not rescued me, all those prizes would have come out of my pocket the same way the Maze Run prizes didt.  Are there enough people in Home who just want to participate in a fun event for an hour that they don't need any other motivator?

Unfortunately, I don't thing this Maze event  would've had nearly the turnout if not for the prizes.

That isn't to say that there aren't ppl who would attend an event just for fun.

Recently I attended the the Name that Tune event hosted by the Homelings.  No prizes, but a fun time and great turnout.

This may not be the best example because us Lings just enjoy having fun. No prizes need.

A friend of mine has a club and said he used to do fashion shows/contests with prizes, which I thought was a neat idea.

I know someone will chime in trying to make a reference to the "Events" hosted by such ppl as Y2David/Diva Julie Love and who ever else. IMO, this are just the same ppl getting together to shoot the *h**. While these "Events" are fine, I don't think this is what Keara means.

Message 4 of 27 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2633 posts

Aug 28, 2012
Money and Sony employees makes people attend these events..
THE FAZEONES LOUNGE  2014 Home Logo
Message 5 of 27 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3001 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2012

The Scavenger Hunt was a lot of fun! I'm glad I played it. Thanks to everyone who set that event up!  I don't care about prizes myself. I'm just happy to be invited to these user events and meet new people. These events that are set up by other users are a lot better than the public spaces because you don't have to worry about the freezing issues and trolls. Thanks again everyone! :manvery-happy:

bobs fed signature
Message 6 of 27 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1836 posts

Aug 28, 2012

What exactly is a scavenger hunt?

Message 7 of 27 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1538 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2012

Keara, I did not make your event, but was very impressed at your level of commitment to our Home community. I believe there is enough interest in fun events to continue hosting more get togethers.

To answer question one... using Blue Print or Themed Personal spaces, we could host western poker parties, space parties, fashion parties, sailing excursions, dance offs, etc. Would have to coordinate several hosts willing to dedicate at least 2 hours or more to rotating event goers. An example of a Western Themed Event, would be hosts that own the Western Saloon setting up a party to host 12 people at a time. During the party, they could play Liars Poker or Black Jack. Each host could post the winners names of the perspective games on the forum. Visitors would also receive the Western Rewards offered by the space.

As far prizes, this is not a motivator for me to attend an event. But might be for many people. By using spaces that offer rewards for the events, this might attract new people who have not received the reward yet. For more established members of the community, their reward would be in helping to build the community in a positive manner.

I am willing to help you plan and promote events. Even host in one of my spaces. The only constraints I have are when traveling in my RV (we live in ours part of the year), I don't always have an internet connection that supports my PS3.

For Halloween, I suggest a Halloween Party Personal Space themed party. Each host decorates their space in the appropriate spookiest manner and have a rotating open house. The event guests (party attendees) dressed in their finest Halloween Attire get to enjoy say 20 minutes in each space. At the end, the attendees vote on the best personal space Halloween Theme. The hosts will vote on the scariest or most original Halloween costume. Again no prizes needed, just a mention the winner in the forum for best Halloween Theme Personal Space and Costume.

Posted Image
Message 8 of 27 (182 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1861 posts

Aug 28, 2012

Keara22HI wrote:

The amazing success of the Scavenger Hunt last Sunday and the Maze Run two weeks before, has me wondering what sort of events to create next.

Here are the limitations:  Public spaces are OUT.  Too many problems with malicious freezers.  This means using Club Rooms with a capacity of 32 each.  Or personal spaces with a capacity of 11 guests.  For example, in the Scavenger Hunt we had 6 hosts with personal spaces running 4 hunts each.  Maximum capacity:  240 contestantts.  So, suggestions need to fit those parameters.

Last question:  given the level of negativity and cynicism that I see in Home every day, are there enough people out there who still want to have fun in Home that it is worth the weeks of work it takes to plan, promote, and produce such events?

Halloween:  we would like to design an event to celebrate Halloween.  Given these limitations, do you have any suggestions?

I wanted to attend one of the maze events, but have been pretty busy lately.  I would still love to see one, if anyone would be willing to let me visit!

Prizes are not a motivating factor to me.  I really love community events, and it's sad that we can no longer hold them in public... But private spaces do offer more control over the environment, games, and decorations!  Speaking of games, those are the kind events I look forward to most!  Trivia nights are fun too!

To answer your last question, I am in three clubs that play and/or make games in Home (with no prizes) - so YES, I believe there are a lot of people out there who would enjoy those kind of events!  - Parties are fun too!

Message 9 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1419 posts

Aug 28, 2012
Sadly I was not able to attend this event due to real world events, but really appreciate the efforts of those involved in offering all of us on home something fun to participate in.
For me winning a prize is not an incentive to attend, but meeting creative fun people is, so it is worth the effort.
Many thanks! Also, I would love to see anyone's maze if you have the time to show me.
A halloween event sounds like great fun especially for dressing up to attend!

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 10 of 27 (140 Views)
0 Likes