Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 26 2014
By: Tarazuma Gaming Beast 1444 posts

[Theory] 2014 is PS Home's final year

[ Edited ]
87 replies 1297 views Edited Feb 26, 2014

Disclaimer: this is a very long post. If you aren't going to read it, please don't bother posting.

I typed this up yesterday but wanted to wait to see what today's update was. The Star Trek stuff got my, and many others, hopes up, only to be dashed at the last minute. I'm sure Flashman Studios and CBS Consumer Products are thrilled that Sony is needlessly delaying their content that people are willing to pay good money for.

I, and I'm sure many others, are sick and tired of the pitiful updates over the past 2 months. Unless we see a HUGE improvement in March, with something to actually DO besides challenges, I am personally 100% convinced this is PS Home's last year. I'd like to know what others thoughts are on this, since by this point, it's hard argue that Home still has potential to turn around.

It seems to me like they are making it as boring and painful as possible so that everyone WANTS to quit, thus they have a justifiable reason to shut down PS home without worrying about losing what revenue they could gain in the mean time.

It's not just the lack of good store content, it's everything.

-They aren't even ATTEMPTING to make a deal or work something out to import all the SCEJ and SCEE clothes and furniture, including the rest of the Toylogic furniture and LMOs that are in EU.

-They REFUSE to bring back old first party items, spaces and events (sorry, but you're going to hear it for the millionth time: CP needs to return)

-They patch stuff like private server and other harmless things that people enjoyed and caused them to WANT to use home more, but yet....

-Freezers run rampant despite the damage it can cause to hard drives, and people can just ISE gifter items for free, devaluing them and hurting developer sales. Nothing has been done about either. 

-As evidenced by today with the new Star Trek stuff, content is STILL being delayed. This is obviously a terrible business move as it just drives people away. It doesn't get them to buy old stuff or sales, if that's the strategy.

-Our inventory management and loading times are obscene, and absolutely NOTHING is being done about it, not even the ability to delete items which has been requested over, I don't know, at LEAST the past 3 years.

I'd like to point out that this isn't all baseless speculation. Take a look at this post right here. If that doesn't convince you PS Home is on it's last legs and no one in charge cares, nothing will. (At the time of writing, that post didn't even get a single sycophantic kudo)

There is no "big break" coming. There isn't some amazing miracle space or event that will save PSH. Those moronic fools O-two/peakvox were our only chance of salvation, and they have abandoned PSHome, judging by their twitter posts. 

Sure, many people would just ISE the peakvox monster and upgraded labs rewards. But they'd still make a decent profit from me and the other "whales" of home who don't use ISE and prefer to earn the rewards themselves, purchasing upgrades to do so. It's better to make SOME profit then NONE at all.

O-two really has no reason to quit Home, other then the fact that they are small-minded IDIOTS with the business sense of  a brain-dead paramecium. I won't be purchasing any of their stupid games, and I'm encouraging others not to do so either. (I'm telling all my non-Home friends as well)

Anyways, this is my prediction of how the rest of the year will play out:

Each update week will consist of the following: x7 will have Billabong & Element reskins, Veemee LMOs, and random LKWD clothes/LMOs. On a "good" week, something nice from Ndreams such as the chair LMOs and stately homes.

The normal store will be updated with nothing outside of KOVOK and whatever was in x7 last week. Of course, the various gifters will also be updated periodically.

Any "events" will be nothing more then fetch quests or simple tasks that are easily completed in less then a half-hour, and of course seasonal Acorn Park.

I also predict there will be no new features added to Home, inventory management will never be updated, and Playstation Home in NA/EU will cease content updates with the final yearly update on December 17, 2014. This is why all devs have invested in other projects besides Home. 

Again, this is all (educated) theory, but just mark my words.

So RIP Playstation Home, 2008-2014. I was only here since March 2011 and missed the best events. It's a shame that just as PS Home evolved and became more advanced and awesome then ever, people left for gang bangin' (GTAV) or an unpaid second job (FF14), and all the awesome events and support from previous years stopped.

Btw, I'm not quitting Home or anything. I'll still be on here until the updates stop all together. But I've been spending very little money (I have no choice as there's nothing to buy) and I've given up even the last shred of hope I had for PS Home's revival.

But I also won't be spending as much time on here, other then to chat with close friends. And as much as I hate Nintendo, I hate what Sony is doing to Home more. PS4 and XBONE aren't even considerations for me, so looks like I'll be giving my business to Nintendo real soon.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 88 (1,297 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1118 posts

Re: [Theory] 2014 is PS Home's final year

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2014

My theory about the freezers.  Home actually promotes it, so it gives the staff work for them.  

I believe, they can easily fix the problem but won't.  So only one conclusion I have, they are for it.  They don't care if we have freezers are not.  It give the moderators work and  it's just a game to them!!  They are probably 100% behind the entire issue!!  

photo 90years_zps08bfda1e.png
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 88 (1,272 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1263 posts

Feb 26, 2014

Lil_Bruin_77 wrote:

My theory about the freezers.  Home actually promotes it, so it gives the staff work for them.  

I believe, they can easily fix the problem but won't.  So only one conclusion I have, they are for it.  They don't care if we have freezers are not.  It give the moderators work and  it's just a game to them!!  They are probably 100% behind the entire issue!!  

when was the last Moderator you saw in Home? last time I saw one was in 2010!original.gif

Raptr Gamercard

How much longer dose PSHome have? The end is nigh friends!
I like R2 options!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 88 (1,243 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1397 posts

Feb 26, 2014
Mo-der-a-tion ??
What is this you speak of?

?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 88 (1,175 Views)
Survivor
2252 posts

Feb 26, 2014

I agree with what you've said here and agree that Home's life will be over sooner rather than later, but I don't think bringing GTAV or FF14 players into it is necessary. Just real quick, not everyone who plays GTA is into what you refer to as "gang bangin" and I haven't played FF14, but if it's real time consuming and that's how people prefer to spend their time, then so be it.  Keep in mind that  these are the types of games and franchises that make the PS3 what it is. Without them, you may not even have something called a PS3, nevermind Home. 

Trust me, I totally understand your frustration about Home, as I myself have gone through it in realizing how much time and money I wasted on something that I thought had a real future. I feel like I got the wool pulled over my eyes in terms of what Home really was and I'm sure many other do as well. Fortunately for me, I never owned my PS3 just for Home and was never even much of an online person, but sure did enjoy using it, investing in it and watching it grow for a period of time. There is nothing left in Home now besides a last chance money grab for developers and I'm actually real glad to see most of them moving on to other things for their own good.

On a much more positive note, I will say that that I have met some great people in Home who became friends--I had a lot of good times with so many people who I never would have known otherwise. In the end, that is really the only lasting thing that I will take away from it all. It's a crying shame that Sony couldn't/wouldn't handle the monster they created over the long haul, but I now realize that I don't think they ever planned on it. There is no doubt in my mind that Home is a one-of-a-kind, amazing technology that we will probably never see the likes of again. 

http://www.yourpshome.net/f2/
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 88 (1,166 Views)
Gaming Beast
1444 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2014

Yeah, I've looked at other virtual worlds, and they don't even come close to Home. Second Life is too complicated, IMVU is too limited, and the graphics are terrible on both of them.

Btw, I only bring GTAV and FFXIV into it because I hate those games with a passion, and they are definitely factors (even if small ones) in Home's demise. Home was doing a lot better traffic-wise when people didn't have those to turn to for a MMO expereince on PS3, and I'm willing to bet Home could potentially be in a better state right now if those 2 games never game out. 

But now that I think about it, there were still complaints about items delays, inventory management, ect, even when Home's traffic was at it's peak. Meh, none of it matters now anyways...

I'm basically just now starting to view PSH as nothing more then an application to talk to friends, such as AIM, YIM, MSN, ect. I'm not really a gamer, but the pitiful updates and lack of future made it so I literally have no choice but to not view Home as my main form of entertainment, like I used to.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 88 (1,135 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1263 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2014

HOPPER_34 wrote:

I agree with what you've said here and agree that Home's life will be over sooner rather than later, but I don't think bringing GTAV or FF14 players into it is necessary. Just real quick, not everyone who plays GTA is into what you refer to as "gang bangin" and I haven't played FF14, but if it's real time consuming and that's how people prefer to spend their time, then so be it.  Keep in mind that  these are the types of games and franchises that make the PS3 what it is. Without them, you may not even have something called a PS3, nevermind Home. 

Trust me, I totally understand your frustration about Home, as I myself have gone through it in realizing how much time and money I wasted on something that I thought had a real future. I feel like I got the wool pulled over my eyes in terms of what Home really was and I'm sure many other do as well. Fortunately for me, I never owned my PS3 just for Home and was never even much of an online person, but sure did enjoy using it, investing in it and watching it grow for a period of time. There is nothing left in Home now besides a last chance money grab for developers and I'm actually real glad to see most of them moving on to other things for their own good.

On a much more positive note, I will say that that I have met some great people in Home who became friends--I had a lot of good times with so many people who I never would have known otherwise. In the end, that is really the only lasting thing that I will take away from it all. It's a crying shame that Sony couldn't/wouldn't handle the monster they created over the long haul, but I now realize that I don't think they ever planned on it. There is no doubt in my mind that Home is a one-of-a-kind, amazing technology that we will probably never see the likes of again. 

I agree with you 100% here Hopper! I too have met alot of great people with the Home app! at this point I am riding it till it dies is the way im looking at it! With all the time and money I invested into Home because I too felt it had a future! Now it looks like it is just a money grab!  I have seen alot of my friends whom I have met on Home move away from it because of the issuse and problems and lack of any real customer service save a few devs that still care or at least pretend to anyway! its more then I can say for the rest! But I have said it many times before and I will say it again! "The only reason I still use Home is 1. Because of the Amount of money I have spent on it. 2. I still have a handfull of friends who use it! 3. I have a 2nd PS3 that Home has crashed a number of times once to the point I had to reformat in FAT32! 

Sadly I think that Home is in it's final days! but it was a wonderfull experiance! and I just want to thank all of you guys who are on or were on my list at anygiven time from when I started Home untill now! It was great watching Home grow into what it is today! I know some of us had differnces and moved on but such is life! 

But to get back on topic here! the OP has a good point given the lack of answers and the current direction of Home, One can only assume that Home is in its final days! I would be surprised if it continues on thru the end of 2015! 

original.gif

Raptr Gamercard

I like R2 options!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 88 (1,134 Views)
Sackboy
425 posts

Feb 26, 2014

Tarazuma wrote:

Sure, many people would just ISE the peakvox monster and upgraded labs rewards. But they'd still make a decent profit from me and the other "whales" of home who don't use ISE and prefer to earn the rewards themselves, purchasing upgrades to do so. It's better to make SOME profit then NONE at all.

I didn't reply in the previous post about peakvox monster, but it seems you think it cost nothing to bring stuff. They do have it in JP, but that doesn't mean the cost is 0 for US/EU. First it needs to be localized, and from looking at previous attempts, it took them about 1 year to do it. If say 1 employee was doing the localization and assuming he makes $30,000 a year, that will be the minimum cost without adding any Sony contract fees, server fees, license fees, or whatever fees that needs to be added. So when O-Two looked at numbers, they probably saw the cost ($30,000 + fees) outweigh the sales.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 88 (1,124 Views)
Gaming Beast
1444 posts

Feb 26, 2014

Even if that's the case with Monster, they also recently tweeted they won't release any more mall items. I can't imagine those fees would outweigh the sales, so why would they refuse to release already made pay content?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 88 (1,112 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1263 posts

Feb 26, 2014

asfghjklEU wrote:

Tarazuma wrote:

I didn't reply in the previous post about peakvox monster, but it seems you think it cost nothing to bring stuff. They do have it in JP, but that doesn't mean the cost is 0 for US/EU. First it needs to be localized, and from looking at previous attempts, it took them about 1 year to do it. If say 1 employee was doing the localization and assuming he makes $30,000 a year, that will be the minimum cost without adding any Sony contract fees, server fees, license fees, or whatever fees that needs to be added. So when O-Two looked at numbers, they probably saw the cost ($30,000 + fees) outweigh the sales.

It seems to me that you missed what they were arguing about they are talking about people who steal items via ISE and ICE! when people do that the devs and sony make no money! at least thats what I think they were saying! 

original.gif

Raptr Gamercard

I like R2 options!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 88 (1,111 Views)