Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
1806 posts

Re: The Official HomeStation Magazine (HSM) Thread

Aug 26, 2011

I have to say HSM has a really professional design and yet continues to evolve!  SUPER impressed!  The articles spanned many different interests and were all extremely well written! Your flash presentation of the magazine is superb!  (On a side note I finally figured out how to zoom with my laptop! - yay me!)

The only bad thing I could possibly say is that perhaps the comic strip could be edited a bit more.  I found it hard to understand much of what was written.  The photography and artwork, however, was incredible!!

My favorite article was on Scribble Shooter.  I love the design for the background and the drawings implemented!  It was also filled with lots of facts I didn't know about the game... Like that the art director's children played such a great hand in designing the creatures within the game! 

The most enlightening read was the "Flying the Flag for the Gay Community".  I found it amazing and frightening all of the things some of the GLBT community has had to endure in their lives.  It's great that there is such a strong community that I had no idea even existed within Home!

I was touched by "Home as Therapy"... WOW! I just... WOW!  How inspiring that people have used Home to overcome such obstacles!  It takes a special person with determination to strive to make their lives better, and if there was still a kudos button I would be mashing away!

I also loved the way the Homeling article ended! "But that's just numbers.  It says nothing about the human spirit.... I bet we do it in two."  That is just awesome writing right there! 

Great job everyone at HSM!

Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4977 posts

Aug 26, 2011

yes friends and I was discussing on the many interesting articles yas have put out in this latest issue.. this issue sure has been a big hit i must say and do looking forward to more from yas

thanks fer the great articles and keep up the awesum job HomeStation Magazine!!

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1186 posts

Aug 26, 2011

Aloha, HSM readers!

First of all, many thanks for the generous feedback we've received so far! Issue #7 created the largest single-day spike in traffic we've ever seen on the HSM website, and I know that the authors of the various articles in this issue are absolutely thrilled that their work is being so well-received. HomeStation is a colossal labor of love brought to you by a multitude of talented members of the community, and it's the knowledge that our work is helping to benefit the user experience of others that keeps us all pumped up to deliver fresh content every day.

And speaking of fresh content: today's article is an examination, by Gideon (from HairBrained Ideas), of how to possibly expand the social accessibility and interconnectivity of Home itself beyond what's presently available. While Home itself is about to undergo a significant transformation and expansion, are there low-cost ways to make it more accessible to the PS3 user base overall?

Written from the HomeStation,

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3121 posts

Aug 26, 2011

I came by to say that I like the puzzles... I am not as impressed with the articles as some of my friends yet I have lots of reserved feelings towords some subjects and Ill leave my comments at that...

Even if you do not have items to give away, I will continue to read if you keep putting puzzles in... did I mention I like the Puzzles?

PS there seems to be a glitch in the flash copy, page 116 and 117 if I remember correctly, they are blank...

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Aug 26, 2011

Gideon has a new article with 5 face-palm why-haven't-these-things-been-done items for Home.  The article is too long to reprint in its entirety, but I will list the main topics and the link.  Gideon sent a lot of time researching this and his what/why/how article is eye-opening:

TOPICS IN ARTICLE:

1. Relocate Home on the main XMB
  2. Expand the Home section of the PSN Store
  3. Playstation.com integration
  4. Facebook and Twitter integration
  5. Smartphone apps for Home/Psn

http://www.hsmagazine.net/2011/08/homes-social-expansion/

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1186 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Aloha, HSM readers!

Today's article, written by CheekyGuy, is an interview with NOH8, an LGBT gaming clan in PlayStation Home that gives everyone a run for their money. Think napalm mixed with Nyan Cat. Yeah, that's right.

Also, there's an announcement you might want to check out as well.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Patchex wrote:

I am not as impressed with the articles as some of my friends yet I have lots of reserved feelings towords some subjects and Ill leave my comments at that...

May I ask what kind of articles you'ld like to read?

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3121 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Well Miss Kat, I game, game articles... mostly stuff about ones I know little about that might ahve ties with HOMe of course/// Like this new one in the blog today... heres a Twitter link for Closure...

http://twitter.com/#!/Closure

Not sure if its HOME related yet or not... Or about games like Magic that have HOME spaces, yet maybe before they come out... that way more people can learn about them. If you ahve some of these point me in that direction I am happy to read about games any time of the day...  Maybe some info on Journey?

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1186 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Patchex wrote:

Well Miss Kat, I game, game articles... mostly stuff about ones I know little about that might ahve ties with HOMe of course/// Like this new one in the blog today... heres a Twitter link for Closure...

http://twitter.com/#!/Closure

Not sure if its HOME related yet or not... Or about games like Magic that have HOME spaces, yet maybe before they come out... that way more people can learn about them. If you ahve some of these point me in that direction I am happy to read about games any time of the day...  Maybe some info on Journey?

Aloha Patchex,

Although HSM is a Home-centric publication -- and, further, covers Home more from a social perspective than a gaming perspective -- it is worth noting that we do cover the Sony gaming world as well. You might want to head to our Reviews section and peruse the articles therein; although many of them are reviews of Home -- private estates, public spaces, etc. -- there are several game reviews in there.

This does give me a chance to discuss game reviews at large for a moment -- because HomeStation would like to run more of them, but only if they meet certain criteria.

My personal thinking on the matter is this: there are any number of websites out there which provide game reviews. Heck, GameFAQs alone has all the game reviews anyone could want. And indeed, with regard to Home, there's not exactly a shortage of resources devoted to covering Home from a gaming perspective, either (which is not a bad thing, mind you). So HomeStation set out to fill a need that no one else was really diving into: namely, journalism devoted to the social side of Home. The human stories.

Case in point: remember, Patchex, the evening we chatted at the Sodium2 launchpad, back during the final days of the beta? To a pure gamer, they'd want to read about all the oh-my-god whizbangery of the newly-released game. But there are a lot of people who, instead, want to read about how the game affected us as people, and the interaction we had because of the game. The former story is a lost-in-the-shuffle review, whereas the latter is an evergreen story about people instead of products (which, ironically, makes the products more memorable). And that's the approach HSM takes.

(Look at this forum as an example. More often than not, it seems the discussion topics which spark the most evocative and intellectual discussion are the social issues, moreso than the gaming issues. Those are, quite often, the topics that get high numbers of hits. And it's how HSM built up a web audience with some truly crazy traffic numbers. Because we're churning out stories about Home from a perspective that no one else is really touching, which means you can't find similar stories elsewhere.)

So, yeah, I'd love to have some more game reviews. After all, we're all gamers to some extent, or we wouldn't be here. But what I look for in a game review is a bit different: I've mentioned to the HomeStation team in the past that I care less about the game being reviewed and more about how the experience of that game made the reviewer feel. To me, that's much more interesting. Heck, it's that approach -- coupled with a slight taste for sharp hyperbole -- that built Pauline Kael into arguably the most memorable film critic in American history. Love her or hate her, you simply had to read her.

(This approach, by the way, is basically Talese's concept of New Journalism, applied to video gaming and virtual reality. Jeremy Clarkson has perfected it with cars, which is why he's now the most-read automotive journalist in the world. Check out his review of the Bugatti Veyron to get a sense of what I'm on about.)

Think about how you'd describe a movie you just saw to a friend. You probably wouldn't talk about how sublime Vittorio Storaro's color palette and lighting scheme were; you'd probably say something like, "Holy bleep, dude, there's this one scene with the girl and the giant robot, and let me tell you what happened!"

The guy who lampooned this brilliantly, by the way -- and at the same time wrote some of the most memorable movie reviews I've ever read -- was Patton Oswalt when he wrote under the Neill Cumpston pseudonym for Ain't It Cool News. Some of the most delicious caustic wit ever broadcast across the internet, I'm tellin' ya.

So: if anyone reading this is up for writing game reviews that people will actually want to re-read a year later, then that's how you do it. And it's my hope that you'll contribute it to HSM.

Thanks, Patchex, for giving me an opening to bring up something I've been meaning to discuss for a while. Hopefully some writers out there might benefit from this, so that the Home community in turn can benefit from it.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Patchex wrote:

Maybe some info on Journey?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSscjCBFNZVt_XpLnaLsiL5R_wX7OjOGd6zhOM_k0-jPwyb0XN9

It's a gorgeous game, isn't it?  I've been trying to find out more about how the other people's interactions effect the world.  Being this comes from the same minds that brought us Flower, I expect this to do no less than blow us away.

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 926 (243 Views)
0 Likes