Jul 28 2013
By: myalana Ghost of Sparta 8001 posts

The Company We Keep

36 replies 619 views Edited Jul 28, 2013

I'm lucky. After nearly 5 years on Home I met someone who has quickly become my best friend. I met someone whom I delight in seeing everyday and can chat with, play games with, go to events with and just have the best times with that I have ever had on Home. At this point you're probably thinking "yeah great, you don't need to make a thread about it though Mya". The reason I mention this is because a thought occurred to me and it seems so obvious yet it never struck me before. Everything about Home revolves around the relationships forged and all else is secondary. This is true for me and I bet it is for many others as well.

I used to wander alot. I'd meet up with friends here and there but stick to primarily playing pool and chatting with others who did the same. I seldom left the alley even for events or to obtain rewards. I bought some clothing, few furnishings but never much and I seldom knew about new spaces or content. I enjoyed my time in the alley, but it was really just a game with a means to chat. I did the same as those around me.I didn't want more than that and didn't really realize what else there was. Home was the bowling alley and the rest of it hardly existed to me.

When the pool game was changed, many of my friends who played the game alot stopped visiting Home. I came to these forums where I often lurked but had rarely posted and made a thread about it. I continued to check it and post in it and eventually started reading other threads and became much more aware of what was going on in-world. I met a couple people from these Forums and struck up conversations and at times, I'd meet their friends as well. I added some truly exceptional people in this manner and my time in Home became more enjoyable as a result. This is not to say that "Forum people are the best people" or anything remotely similar to that. It just happened that these people I met had more varied interests and knew some great people themselves.

I see things from a new perspective these days. When content is released I'm happy when theres a game that's geared towards more than 1player. I look for spaces or items that give rewards to others. I'll send a friend a new item from the gift machine because it made me think of them. I look for locomotions and animations that I can use to share a little gag with others. I look forward to events because I have someone to share them with. In short I'm not focused on just one thing and I'm happier as a result.

If you have a close friend or group of friends on Home I believe you will understand my point. If not, I'm sorry. I hope you meet some people such as I have. This I know to be true: Home is a better place thanks to the company we keep.

Message 1 of 37 (619 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29241 posts

Re: The Company We Keep

Jul 28, 2013

I think I know who that is and you're both special! :smileyhappy:

And yeah Home is all about the people. It's pretty boring otherwise. 

Message 2 of 37 (614 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Jul 28, 2013

I only used Home for the past two weeks because my time is really short and I spend it playing and obtanining trophys but since a couple days I found a really good group of people and feel that strange feeling you describe. Reading you was an amazing moment, so.. thanks for that and Im happy that you find someting like that. 

Message 3 of 37 (582 Views)
Fender Bender
1114 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2013

I do know what you are talking about, Mya. 

I love to play single player games on Home. Focused on the goal; build, run, collect, shoot.

But . . .

there are activities and times on Home, that would just not be as fun, or would be no fun at all, without sharing them with friends.

Having good friends, makes the special time I spend on Home, very special.

Yeah, fine : so sometimes I yak too much, and my firends tell me to go build something, or go to my dolphie room to count bubbles and musical notes.

I still love 'em :smileyhappy:

Mya and Joanna make my Forum time special, and . . What ? Well . .

ok, I'll go back to Tycoon now, and count buildings ( grumbles . . mumbles)

photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 4 of 37 (560 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29241 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Lil_The_Pill wrote:

I do know what you are talking about, Mya. 

I love to play single player games on Home. Focused on the goal; build, run, collect, shoot.

But . . .

there are activities and times on Home, that would just not be as fun, or would be no fun at all, without sharing them with friends.

Having good friends, makes the special time I spend on Home, very special.

Yeah, fine : so sometimes I yak too much, and my firends tell me to go build something, or go to my dolphie room to count bubbles and musical notes. I still love 'em :smileyhappy:

Mya and Joanna make my Forum time special, and . . What ? Well . .

ok, I'll go back to Tycoon now, and count buildings ( grumbles . . mumbles)

Oh I never tried that. Oh I need to log on later tonight. Forget Kikai! :smileywink: 

Message 5 of 37 (538 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1064 posts

Jul 28, 2013
I kno that all too well mya. After 2 years of being on home I found a group of friends last fall. I pretty much make the time to chat them and we have become really great friends due to bonding closely w them. If I buy items other than LMO n clothes I try to find ones that give rewards to others. I too do exchange gifts w them and share the good and bad times w them. Its wonderful to have friends like that in your life.
TRANS-UNITY SUPPORTING TRUE TRANSGENDER GAMERS ON ALL PLATFORMS
Message 6 of 37 (521 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5401 posts

Jul 28, 2013

I love you too, Mya!! :smileyvery-happy:

............ What do you mean you weren't speaking about me?! :smileysad:

I'm getting so horked up.

Legendary_Vicki's Sig

Message 7 of 37 (499 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

Hush!  You know she is talking about me.  :smileytongue:

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 8 of 37 (457 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5401 posts

Jul 29, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

Hush!  You know she is talking about me.  :smileytongue:

Pffft!

I'm getting so horked up.

Legendary_Vicki's Sig

Message 9 of 37 (437 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
165 posts

Jul 29, 2013
Amen to this post. Home is all about being around my friends and meeting new people threw them. I'll add that for me its always been a group thing in terms of me and my friends are in a group and we are friends with people in different groups/fams. It gives me a sense of belonging like that of any club and makes us feel closer, I think. Although its not a prerequisite to being in my friends circle. And I'm closer to some of my friends on Home than I am with friends "IRL". :smileyhappy:
Message 10 of 37 (434 Views)